th350 trans?

jason85gn

I live in north NJ and I spoke to several trans guys and they will not touch my 2004r. One guy suggested I go w/ a th350 w/ a 3000 converter and manual valve body. He also stated that it is the same length as the 2004r. My ? is :
(A) Has anyone converted to a th350?
(B) Is it the same length as the 2004r?
(C) What do you do w/ the wire to the trans? I believe it is for the lock
converter.

Thanks, Jason

The T-350 is my favorite trans swap for the GN's. You can use a crossmember from an 84-85 G-body with the 200 metric transmission and the stock driveshaft goes right back in place. The wire can just be tied up somewhere inside the engine compartment. It's best to use a BOP case so it will bolt right to the V6, otherwise you will have to use the adapter plate from TCI.

Of course the downside is you loose overdrive so your rpm's at 65-70 mph will be higher. It will be like driving around with your car in 3rd gear. For those that don't do a lot of traveling or hwy driving, it's a good swap.

Thanks for the reply. The info you said helped me make my decision. Sorry I forgot to write that the guy from the trans shop said to use a BOP case.

And to what horsepower levels can they be built to withstand. Could be a good alternative to the TH400. Less parasitic loss ??

George

Black Sheep on here had been using a T-350 out of a local TSM style car. With nothing more than a good input shaft/forward drum and 36 element sprag, it went 5.80's at 122 to the 1/8th. That's 8.90 territory.

We were hoping to test it in the 5.50 range but the car kept dropping a cylinder after launch. It's a Stage 2 car with a PT-88.

weve just finished up a real nice th350 transbrake valve body with lo clutch on in reverse neutral and drive.great for bump staging turbo cars

The 200 is a good trans and can be rebuilt to better than stock and you will keep your OD- look around for a shop that will handle it. The 350 is as tough as your wallet is deep- you can have a ton of stuff done to them and it will be less than the 200 due to parts and familiarity. I just had a 350 built for a 550 hp v8 for about ~1k inc t/c. plan to spend more on the 200 but its worth keeping.
Robert

Chris isn't to far from you if you live in North Jersey. He's the one posting about the th350 trans brake. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help you reguardless of which way you want to go.

Thanks for the replies guys. I saw that Chris is from Queens which is close to me. I actually work in Manhattan on the East side around 70th and York. I should talk to him, but unfortunally I have to put a motor in my truck now.

Any of the builders on the board you can't go wrong with but I will point out that Chris is the one that has done a lot of research on the TH2004R. He's even making parts to beef them up for us. Great guy to deal with and I've gotten some deals off of him as well as info for free.