Tapping Noise- Look what I found

Cam sensor?

Just haven't been able to narrow it down, even with a stethascope. :mad:

Guess I'll just drive it until it gets so bad it becomes more obvious what it is. After all, I do have the numbers matching block in early stages of assembly now.
The car is driving and running perfectly so far.

I had a WH1 a few years ago with a fresh motor that had a tap that was pretty loud. I did some searching on the board and came up with a procedure to shim the cam sensor. I bought some distributor shims from a local speed shop and added one to the cam sensor to get the proper clearance and it took 90% of the tap away. The other 10% was just typical noisey Buick motor!

Lifter rod bolts?[/QUO

I'm not sure the correct name of the rod with three 8mm bolts that secures the lifters to head.....

cam sensor seems logical,i can feel a vibration in the cam sensor while my engines running. factory cam sensor had a shim?

The factory cam sensors had a wave washer to take up the space but over time apparently the housing wears some and then the shim is needed. I either found the procedure on here or gnttype.org I can't remember now. The distributor shim set was under $10 so I decided to give it a try. You have to drive the roll pin out of the cam sensor gear and remove it and then add the needed shim(s). There was a end play measurement that was called for in the procedure. It made a very noticeable difference in my car and was worth the trouble to do it.

well go shovel out a foot of snow or go on here :confused::eek: Actually taken a break here now. Snow isn't bad just the STUPID **'* who are afraid of driving in it !!! :rolleyes: Has the 3"s of snow melted in Atlanta yet ?? :biggrin:

That is worse, some people should not be allowed to drive in the snow around here.

D

well go shovel out a foot of snow or go on here :confused::eek: Actually taken a break here now. Snow isn't bad just the STUPID **'* who are afraid of driving in it !!! :rolleyes: Has the 3"s of snow melted in Atlanta yet ?? :biggrin:

feel better, my car does the exact thing.....tapping cold and at idle....sounds like valve train to me too.....one day ill pull the valve covers and make sure the lifter rod bolts are tight? runs perfect...dont like any "sounds" though....

Before I pulled mine for a rebuild there was a tap at all speeds. Varied with Engine speed but not as fast as the engine. Like something was tapping every few rotations.

I had a tapping noise that took me 10 years to find. It was a bolt that had backed out of a bracket behind the AC compressor.

My car had similar symptoms and it turned out to be the cam sensor. The bronze (or brass?) bushing had worked itself free of the sensor body and was sliding up and down making what sounded like valve noise. I diagnosed it with the old screwdriver trick:cool:

I have tapping as well. Getting worse. Did anyone have knock issue associated with this tap? Tapping is getting worse and car is knocking at all speeds but not at idle. Car runs fine...

That appears to be a passenger butt plug. The dealers put those in the glovebox for easy access for passengers that sh!t their pants from all the buick torque :)