ta block

corrected.

for some reason, Scott told me they were oliver,
but in looking at them when Neal was here, I remember they look like K1's.
either way, they were the weak link in this motor.

for some reason, Scott told me they were oliver,
but in looking at them when Neal was here, I remember they look like K1's.
either way, they were the weak link in this motor.

Seems to me we used Eagle rods when building Scott's block? :confused:

No matter which was used, the result would have been the same. :)

Not sure that even a billet rod would have survived?

I own a T/A block i got from paul ferry, i have not got it built yet from what i see these blocks are built very strong,i would like to have my engine in the mid 8's in my 3300 pound GN, the parts i have are in my signature plus a new 3625 BMS crank thanks to Blownv6,and a cam of the builders choice and rods pistons,iam sure their will be alot more T/A blocks in the future i believe its the only way to go for the power we want out of these little engines thanks.

I attended the tech session that Nick conducted at Richard's two weeks ago (www.turbobuick.com Nationals). Listen and learn cause he knows his stuff! Thanks for traveling all the way from Az to NC for us Nick!!
Conrad

Dang guys some great info!!! Ive been doing some research up here in michigan and most have been having good luck. I havent talked to them but what i understand is Mike Moran has a couple of twin turbo motors that they built that are for the big dog sand rails that make well over 1300 horse. can you imagine that h.p. in a 1000 lb sand rail with 20 inches of suspension.:eek::eek::eek:

Here is an "after" pic of the damaged block after 200 runs:

The mark on the pan rail is a reflection.

Attachments

• ALUM BLOCK REPAIRED.jpg
    ALUM BLOCK REPAIRED.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 770
Wow! If I ever get the $ to do a TA motor I hope you are still doing them Nick. Thanks for the pics and info.

I would recommend Bobby at RPE or Nick Micale for one of these TA engines. Even "God" himself doesn't have a clue what special needs these TA blocks need and will spend more time MF'ing the product instead of educating himself on the subject so he can take care of his customers.

OK, so what does it take to build a TA block?

I have been considering the thought of the TA block to replace my trashed Stage 2 - but Im hard pressed to send it to a professional. At the rate that I build and support my racing fund, I would much rather build it at my time in my facility.

So is this information only for the privileged?

Id be willing to spend the money to buy an "Assembly Guide" like the Pontiac Super Dutys and GM power books had in there hey-day.

A.j.

OK, so what does it take to build a TA block?

I have been considering the thought of the TA block to replace my trashed Stage 2 - but Im hard pressed to send it to a professional. At the rate that I build and support my racing fund, I would much rather build it at my time in my facility.

So is this information only for the privileged?

Id be willing to spend the money to buy an "Assembly Guide" like the Pontiac Super Dutys and GM power books had in there hey-day.

A.j.

I don't like giving out engine builders tricks over the internet. They spend a lot of time with trial and error, in most cases on their customers dimes so I am also giving out customers information they paid for. All I know is Bobby at RPE is the MAN when it comes to building these engines and Nick has been in the game since they came out as well. Those would be my two choices. Perhaps just have your shortblock done and you finish the rest?

Ken Duttweiler is the "MAN" when it come to the ta block. He was instrumental in the development of the block and has built tons of these motors and produced the most power out of them. Ken is a true gentleman, his work speaks for itself.

Ron

Ken Duttweiler is the "MAN" when it come to the ta block. He was instrumental in the development of the block and has built tons of these motors and produced the most power out of them. Ken is a true gentleman, his work speaks for itself.

Ron

Someone needs to get Kenny to build them a TA/TSO legal motor/car and line up against Fiscus or Gomes. :D

Since you are not very aware of Buick racing and racers over the years, check with Dave Fiscus for one. He went with a TA block a few years ago after MANY issues with Stage II blocks. :D

Let be fair here Nick, Fiscus never used a Stage II Iron built by RPE.
Though his old iron motor is now an RPE motor he keeps as a backup
he just hasn't hurt his TA block to pull it out of the shed ;)

Ron

Mike you very well may be right. I was under the assumption (I was told) that Gallinas 6 second car was a iron block and to this point that car has developed the most HP out of all V6 engines that the E.T. and MPH tell the tale, not dyno #'s. Tony Gomes and Fiscus are right behind that (not by much) with the TA blocks. Kenny from what I hear is a class act and great guy and I did not mean to take any credit away from him and his abilities. I just don't know any TA engines he has built first hand and am not saying he hasn't built one that is bad azz.

Ted, Mike did not make the post i am his dad and i use his handle sometimes which gets him in hot water. I dealt with Ken from the late 1980's and remember him telling me about the ta block. Most of his ta motors goes off shore to the Middle East, when you mentioned RPE i wanted Ken to get his just recognition for what he help develop. That's all, no drama.

Ted,

Gallina's motor that was in the car at BG last year was a Stage II iron block. I know they blew it up and the new engine is Odd Fire which makes me wonder if the crank broke. I don't know which block they're using currently.

Neal

Ted,

Gallina's motor that was in the car at BG last year was a Stage II iron block. I know they blew it up and the new engine is Odd Fire which makes me wonder if the crank broke. I don't know which block they're using currently.

Neal

Neal, Do you know if they have that odd-fire motor running?? Just curious as he bought a couple of my spare cranks. Mike:cool:

Neal, Do you know if they have that odd-fire motor running?? Just curious as he bought a couple of my spare cranks. Mike:cool:

Mike,

I'm not sure what the status is. I used to talk to Len Freeman on a regular basis so I had a better idea of what was going on. Since Len fell off the face of the earth most of my info comes 2nd hand. Jeff Rand was the one that told me they had gone Odd Fire. I owe him a call so if I find anything out I'll let you know.

Neal

Ron

Part of your statement is not very accurate? :confused:

Kenny did have some input into the development of the TA block, but I first discussed with Mike at TA about building a Stage block when GM sold the last of them in 1999.

We investigated and researched how to build a stage block with relatively low demand and make it profitable, or at least break-even. Mike then decided, with the designer he hired, to build an alum block and incorporate the latest technology into it.

Until a year or 2, we had built more TA alum engines than any one shop, and may still be no.1, serial no.001 is in my race car. :biggrin:

Kenny has had a recent surge in high HP TA engines from his well-heeld customers in the Middle East and has been able to exceed over 1500 HP with a TA engine which includes the heads. The cranks and rods for his engines are also supplied by TA.

The part about him being a "true gentleman" is absolutely true! :)

Mike,
Any update on your billet block Toppers? I'm dying to see them.

Its been a long journey , but the prototype is done and it should be here tomorrow to mock up and start figuring out some of the valve train issues that are still to be resolved. I have pics but I dont know how to get them onto here. When Im ready I will take my own pics and start a new post about the project. Im excited to see them myself!!! Mike:cool: