surging at stoplights and power loss at cruising speed

gordsgn

i have a problem with my stock 86 gn which i have owned for 2 weeks. the problems just started the other day. sometimes as i am slowing down to a stop (ex. at a red light) from cruising speed (60 km/h) the rpms will suddenly rise and the car will surge. this rpm increase will sometimes remain until after i am stopped but usually settles down after a few seconds. the same thing will also happen at a complete stop. i noticed that, after startup, sometimes the rpms will fluctuate. i dont know if this is linked but the problem started during a heavy rain storm and persisted after the rain stopped. thats the first issue.

next. this problem also just started a couple days ago before the previous problem. the car will run fine (except for the aformentioned issue) until i have been driving for approx half an hour. after this the car is still ok as i am accelerating at a normal relaxed pace until i shift into 3rd (around 45 km/h and any speed higher) where it seems switch between losing power and surging. usually at any point when this is happening if i try to accelerate at about half throttle the engine will lag but eventually regain power and accelerate. i am thinking maybe a fuel pump issue (it gets 'tired' after extended use) as it takes a while for the pump to build pressure when i turn the key on and it takes a few seconds of cranking until the car actually starts.

the only thing that i have done is clean the k&n (the problem started after this)

i dont have a lot of knowledge about these cars as i am a new owner and i dont have a scantool or anything like that yet

any ideas...?

May of messed up your MAF sensor.
If you re-oiled the filter, that maybe the reason.
You might try taking a Q-tip, dunk in alcohol and clean the circuit board.
I have also seen post that there is some type of cleaner for electronics.
Might try an elctronics store.

Side note: If you have a stock chip, I would get a chip from Turbo Tweak.

problem

I agree with es1 on cleaning the maf but would also check your torque converter locking and unlocking properly since you mentioned drivability problems at 45 mph which is exactly the milage at when converter locks up in normal driving ...--first thing you check easely is a switch mounted above the brake pedal to see if it is open or bad ..you will notece two switches - one operates your brake lights and the other is for the converter ..

thanks for the help. the first thing that i thought was a tranny problem before all the worst case senarios came flooding into my head. i'll look into it and see if it helps.