Stupid Question of the Day

davef

Still Learning
:confused: My 87 GN is all stock, 100%. As with anything with a computer, I feel that it might be time for a software upgrade. If I go with the TT chip, is it as simple as just "out with the old and In with the new"? I want to make sure that I don't screw something up by just swapping out the original chip for the new TTs.

Told you it was a stupid question.:biggrin:

It is just that simple. Tell Eric what you have and he will send you the chip. Do it. You won't be disappointed.

Unplug the computer first

Orange wire and connector by the battery. Disconnect before swapping chips.

Be aware that the chip is designed assuming you are running 43psi (line off) fuel pressure (stock was about 37psi), and have a good fuel pump (not the stock one). The chip will increase boost to increase power, but you need the fuel system to back it up.

If you don't want to change those items, we'll need to reduce the boost back closer to stock levels.

Eric

Stock levels are 13.8 psi and 10-11 psi in overdrive.............as I recall

Be aware that the chip is designed assuming you are running 43psi (line off) fuel pressure (stock was about 37psi), and have a good fuel pump (not the stock one). The chip will increase boost to increase power, but you need the fuel system to back it up.

If you don't want to change those items, we'll need to reduce the boost back closer to stock levels.

Eric

what pump is recommended?

what pump is recommended?

... and thus the snowball rolls. :biggrin:

Start with a scanmaster (to set all your baselines)

Then, you will need a Fuel pressure gauge to check pressure at the rail.

Adjustable FPR to make changes as needed

Good Fuel pump (Walbro is the preferred by performance EFI vehicle owners)

Hotwire kit.

From here get a chip and see the difference.

be prepared for lots of this: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Eric

How is this done?

How is this done?

I would program the chip for stock boost levels, or if you had an adjustable wastegate, you can adjust it. It is preferred that all turbo Buicks have an adjustable wastegate so you can fine tune the boost level for your car.

I would program the chip for stock boost levels, or if you had an adjustable wastegate, you can adjust it. It is preferred that all turbo Buicks have an adjustable wastegate so you can fine tune the boost level for your car.

i take it the stock GNs did not have an adjustable wastegate.

Eric..... im going to be putting a 6765 journal bearing turned down on a stock car im making a few mods so i can run the car this summer and when winter gets here and i have more$$$ i will pull my motor so i can build it to handle what i want to do..im buyin a scanmaster, double pumper,converter,downpipe and the turbo in a couple weeks and i already ordered a powerplate,intake pipes,boost controller,and engine brace from rjc..I also have ported irons but i think ill leave them off until i pull the motor...

What do you reccomend for a chip and injectors? I have an old school fuel pressure regulator (stock with the top changed) should i change it? it works fine.. also do i need a maf and translator?(im runnin a stock autozone replacement that works fine) I have an ls1 maf but i was told to run mid 10s (my goal) its not really necessary...

the TT chip is worth the money just for the improvement in the idle quality in my opinion and everything else will just be a bonus

hate to tell you but if this is your first modification
than this is just the begining
its an addiction!!:biggrin:

Wow!!!

the TT chip is worth the money just for the improvement in the idle quality in my opinion and everything else will just be a bonus

hate to tell you but if this is your first modification
than this is just the begining
its an addiction!!:biggrin:

:biggrin:Swapped the original with a TT. Idle is great, and it runs much smoother. :)