Street race gone bad

...but things do happen. I am sorry to hear about a death like this. Isn't the first and won't be the last. People make mistakes. I am going out on a limb here and will be man enough to admit I have made some decisions at times.
I do however think the guys on the finish line may have a different version of what happened. I am not trying to place the blame on the Saturn driver, but I have seen people avoid and disreguard the instructions being given to them from spectators. I have witnessed people cut off speed cars on the highway to force them to slow down. Even saw a woman attempt block an undercover(L.E.V) car coming down the shoulder with strobes and wig-wags.(flashing headlights)
The states look to us as responsible drivers not to do certain things: Street racing in a quarter mile fashion, or roll racing on the highway, speeding,(to check your boost, tuning, etc) spinning tires, burnouts, fish tailing, and whatever else. I know some have quite a hike to reach a dragstrip and figure that 3 minute showdown isn't worth the 1,2,3 hour ride. Open roads are tempting and jugding by the tire marks at the starting line in the vid its a popular spot. Should you blame the city for not putting speed humps there? Or the police for not patroling the area more frequently...NO! I blame the racers.
However, ask yourself if you have ever broken the rules of the road before you take the pulpit to criticize someone else. It's cool to speak your mind. It just kind of bothers me to see the people who give kutos to a TR or (any car for that matter) puting the smack down on the street in a posted vid or a kill story, then flame a guy when it ends deadly. Thank you for allowing me to vent in this post. I don't intend to go back and forth, debate, or put anyone on the spot. Just my.02...

Great post. After my trip to jail years ago I stopped running on the street. Sure, it's exhilarating to know that you're out there doing something highly illegal but in the end it's just not worth it. How some folks on this board constantly get away with it I'll never know.

Very sad! That was devistating to see...

That could have been anybody! Spectators, person riding a bike, A deer or anything. Bottom line is someone can & Will get hurt or killed street racing! I have a 1/8th mile track 1 mile from my house and if someone wants to race there is where I will be if they want to run... And like the member said above "People still want to run on the street" maybe they think they will have some kind of advantage or something (idono)....

Looks like a popular spot? Well did anyone see the road?? :eek: Looked like a damn rollercoaster!!! :eek: That is dagerous all by it's self much less going over 100mph on..... IDIOTS..

Scot W.

...but things do happen. I am sorry to hear about a death like this. Isn't the first and won't be the last. People make mistakes. I am going out on a limb here and will be man enough to admit I have made some decisions at times.
I do however think the guys on the finish line may have a different version of what happened. I am not trying to place the blame on the Saturn driver, but I have seen people avoid and disreguard the instructions being given to them from spectators. I have witnessed people cut off speed cars on the highway to force them to slow down. Even saw a woman attempt block an undercover(L.E.V) car coming down the shoulder with strobes and wig-wags.(flashing headlights)
The states look to us as responsible drivers not to do certain things: Street racing in a quarter mile fashion, or roll racing on the highway, speeding,(to check your boost, tuning, etc) spinning tires, burnouts, fish tailing, and whatever else. I know some have quite a hike to reach a dragstrip and figure that 3 minute showdown isn't worth the 1,2,3 hour ride. Open roads are tempting and jugding by the tire marks at the starting line in the vid its a popular spot. Should you blame the city for not putting speed humps there? Or the police for not patroling the area more frequently...NO! I blame the racers.
However, ask yourself if you have ever broken the rules of the road before you take the pulpit to criticize someone else. It's cool to speak your mind. It just kind of bothers me to see the people who give kutos to a TR or (any car for that matter) puting the smack down on the street in a posted vid or a kill story, then flame a guy when it ends deadly. Thank you for allowing me to vent in this post. I don't intend to go back and forth, debate, or put anyone on the spot. Just my.02...

I agree with you about blaming the racers. They should know better!! period. The only statement i don't agree with is about people ignoring "the instruction the spectators are giving them". The laws of driving on public roads don't have a stipulation for people telling you to watch out for illegal street racers. They should open up these tracks and/or bust these places and get everybody!

Great post. After my trip to jail years ago I stopped running on the street. Sure, it's exhilarating to know that you're out there doing something highly illegal but in the end it's just not worth it. How some folks on this board constantly get away with it I'll never know.

Thanks! I have heard of guys going to jail issue a false name and be back in the car on the line the same night! Go figure. Had one bud get stopped on the line 3 times(separate spots) in one night, not a single ticket!! Just went to a different spot.

Very sad! That was devistating to see...

That could have been anybody! Spectators, person riding a bike, A deer or anything. Bottom line is someone can & Will get hurt or killed street racing! I have a 1/8th mile track 1 mile from my house and if someone wants to race there is where I will be if they want to run... And like the member said above "People still want to run on the street" maybe they think they will have some kind of advantage or something (idono)....

Looks like a popular spot? Well did anyone see the road?? :eek: Looked like a damn rollercoaster!!! :eek: That is dagerous all by it's self much less going over 100mph on..... IDIOTS..

Scot W.
If they had a track a mile away, my guess is a 6:30 race would have been done there.The guys would hang out there more that at home.:p Most street races occur because of the lack of the close dragstrips. Yes, a racer may feel he has an advantage on the street. His opponent may not hook, be nervous, miss a gear. When they are in the "zone" they are not thinking about an accident.:frown: Not picking at you, just a reply to those who may not be aware of how a street racer thinks at times.

I really think everyone on this site likes speed. Just think we alll like buicks and g/n and they are some of the fastest stock cars ever built lead a lone souping them up. I would be lying if i saided that i never haved street raced before. Just the older you get the more importing life really is and what really could happen so you just quite taking those risks. I feel bad for the whole family. R.I.P.

Everyone here has raced on the street in some fashion, me included. I could have been this guy 20 years ago. Any of us could have. My point was that this wasnt some young foolish kid. This guy is 40 years old. At some point a person has to act responsibly for there actions. Be carefull where you place the blame here. As I see it, there are two people at fault here and they should be delt with accordingly. If you cant handle the responsibilty of owning a fast car than dont. Its kind of like the gun argument. That being said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. My peace said.....

Everyone here has raced on the street in some fashion, me included. I could have been this guy 20 years ago. Any of us could have. My point was that this wasnt some young foolish kid. This guy is 40 years old. At some point a person has to act responsibly for there actions. Be carefull where you place the blame here. As I see it, there are two people at fault here and they should be delt with accordingly. If you cant handle the responsibilty of owning a fast car than dont. Its kind of like the gun argument. That being said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. My peace said.....

x2

Well said. Many of us are guilty of excessive speed and racing on the streets. Sad to see this but it does happen. I haven't street raced for 30 years but guilty of excessive speed at times. Always think about what can happen and try to do this in isolated places with no traffic or side roads but still guilty as charged. Wish this state did have a track, nearest ones are about two hours away.

Very sad stuff! I feel terrible for the family. Having that guilt of killing someone almost has to be worse than dying yourself!

Police count eight dead, just in the last two years. And the danger increases as the speeds get faster and faster.

I bet there are more people that die in a week in Detroit from driving drunk. The street racing accidents make for better news stories I guess.

I have lived in Detroit for most of my life and have been to said races there. I have never driven in a race but seen it in person. I think if there was a track in the city limits and was open all week the racing, I still find it hard to see the street racing crowd going. Most of them seldom have more than a roll bar, let alone all of the other $$ SFI parts. Plus to have a track let the racers control the racing and to have all the spectators away from the cars would make it undisireable for them. Plus the state would want a piece of the action and the insurance for the track would cause the price to get in too much. I see no easy solution for this issue. I see both sides of the story, and find it unfortunate that the city can't give a mile of fenced in road to do whatever they wanted and sign a waiver to get in. Tax dollars will not fund it and insurance companies see no benefit. Private owned makes no money. So street racing will not stop.

I think they should just make a severe punishment for some that injures or kills another person in a street race. If it's not going to stop, then make them feel guilty for doing it. Charge this moron with 1st degree murder and ad any other possible charge as far as traffic violations. Excessive speeding, driving in the wrong lane, wreckless driving, yadda yadda yadda. If that dumb f*ck killed my kid, i'd kill him with my bare hands. "I own no watcha talkin bout, I own no nothin bout no street race" What a disrespectful puke.

You know this may sound bad of me but I think it's a little silly that the police say about how horrid a problem street racing is and that it has killed about 8 people in 2 years. Good lord they probably have that many die from drunk driving every month, I mean what happend is horrible and also hurts those of us that enjoy performance cars but the police always want to make it seem worse than it is. Compared to other things out there street racing is not as dangerous and cell phones while driving. There have been more innatentive drivers on cell phones kill people in a year then street racing.

I want the guy who waved the Saturn through. Have not seen anything about him. He is just as guilty as the guy who ran into them in my book.

That would be like telling a blind man to go ahead and cross the street while traffic is coming.

I have mixed feeling on the driver. This could have been a number of us TB'rs. We should all learn from this. Drag racing is not meant for the street. Specially city streets.

I want the guy who waved the Saturn through. Have not seen anything about him. He is just as guilty as the guy who ran into them in my book.

That would be like telling a blind man to go ahead and cross the street while traffic is coming.

I have mixed feeling on the driver. This could have been a number of us TB'rs. We should all learn from this. Drag racing is not meant for the street. Specially city streets.

I agree Rick, I went to a Michgan forum and reviewed a thread about this. It didn't mention anything about a person waving her on, nor did it say she didnt want to stop and wait. I know about what she said, and what the cops say, but out of all my spectating I have never seen someone "allow" a car to come out into the path. My guess would be there was not a lot of people on the finish line. I did not hear about any spectators being hurt by debris or something of that sort.

Now what I did not witness was this... Here is a street race that did not end as bad but could have...
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...anoid=PLkHUYWibYT1nruWxTxweQ&cbp=13,90.6,,0,5

See the silver Taurus making a left, imagine that being an 18 wheeler trying to get into that parking lot to the left for a delivery. The driver was being told to stop by spectators in the lot. Through a mis-communication of some sort the driver attempted to make it into the lot while two cars launched about one block back.(keep going back "west" until you see the rubber marks) One car cracked the gas and the other guy who was reportedly looking over his shoulder for the competitor, lane was now blocked by the trailer. The truck driver was stopped by the crowd he thought was waving him in. The racer ran into the back of the trailer and totaled the car. He was broken up pretty badly in the wreck. Took him a while to recover and still can't run. But, he is still Street Racing...:rolleyes:

I agree Rick, I went to a Michgan forum and reviewed a thread about this. It didn't mention anything about a person waving her on, nor did it say she didnt want to stop and wait. I know about what she said, and what the cops say, but out of all my spectating I have never seen someone "allow" a car to come out into the path. My guess would be there was not a lot of people on the finish line. I did not hear about any spectators being hurt by debris or something of that sort.

Now what I did not witness was this... Here is a street race that did not end as bad but could have...
E 130th St & S Eberhart Ave, Chicago, Cook, Illinois 60628 - Google Maps

See the silver Taurus making a left, imagine that being an 18 wheeler trying to get into that parking lot to the left for a delivery. The driver was being told to stop by spectators in the lot. Through a mis-communication of some sort the driver attempted to make it into the lot while two cars launched about one block back.(keep going back "west" until you see the rubber marks) One car cracked the gas and the other guy who was reportedly looking over his shoulder for the competitor, lane was now blocked by the trailer. The truck driver was stopped by the crowd he thought was waving him in. The racer ran into the back of the trailer and totaled the car. He was broken up pretty badly in the wreck. Took him a while to recover and still can't run. But, he is still Street Racing...:rolleyes:
Jason,
I know that stretch of road and I remember hearing something about that. Just goes to show, even when you try and organize and block traffic, there is no guarantee. Always someone who can't wait or gets the wrong message. Just can't be doing this on city streets. It's insane. Cars are too fast now days.