Street Performance (IL)

BlackMetal

Anyone familiar with this shop in Elk Grove? Supposedly they do a lotta work with GNs? Can't believe that there are still places out there that don't bother to have a website, otherwise I'd already have the info I need.

I'm just looking for a place to do a general "tune" on my car to see if we can get it running better.

Yes, Gary the owner worked on my former T years back when he was working out of his house in Park Ridge.

I stopped by his shop a few wks back (I work in EGV). Just so you know he is gruff and doesn't have the best reputation on this board.

When he worked on my car years back he did minor things. Most of the work I had done like bigger turbo, FMIC, etc was done by Speed Inc but now Tom the owner only wants to work on LS1 typed powered cars.

He put a boost gauge in my car, and drilled a hole in the firewall. There was a rubber plug about two inches over from the hole. Also did some other stuff, and gave me a tray with all the screws in it instead of finishing the job.

Guess that sums it up --Tool........
Anyone can swap out parts on a Buick....
Wish Pete were back from ANS,slow but did great work...:wink:

I appreciate the honest replies. I had actually heard bad things about them from a friend, but I thought maybe my friend was just bitter over one little misunderstanding, but I see that their poor reputation is well known.

Guess that sums it up --Tool........
Anyone can swap out parts on a Buick....
Wish Pete were back from ANS,slow but did great work...:wink:

I wish Pete were back also. He did a great job on everything he did for my car and he had a lot of pride in his work. I guess there is just not enough business out there to have a profitable business specializing in TR's. Paul

Pete and Ken from ANS were great. Ken looked at a car for me many yrs back and this was before Pete had his license and they worked out of their garage.

Is Pete w/ Precision Turbo in Indiana???

Yep, I think his screen name is PTE Pete. I personally haven't had problems with any vendor I deal with but you never know?

Steve

I bought a used GN..street performance did the motor work and tuning on it, i believe. I know they did the tuning because i have one of their chips in my car. The car came with a sheet that listed the performance parts on it. Anyways the car runs like crap for what it has done to it. Is there any shops in the chicago land area that does tuning/work on TR's? I don't want to go to speed inc. cause they gave me insane price quotes on a tune for my old 03 cobra.

call a alert performance 773-384-9000 ask for tommy this is the shop with the 2003 caddy cts with the lc2 motor he can help u on parts and tuning

I bought a used GN..street performance did the motor work and tuning on it, i believe. I know they did the tuning because i have one of their chips in my car. The car came with a sheet that listed the performance parts on it. Anyways the car runs like crap for what it has done to it. Is there any shops in the chicago land area that does tuning/work on TR's? I don't want to go to speed inc. cause they gave me insane price quotes on a tune for my old 03 cobra.

No shops around here want to spend the actual time that is required to tune our cars. Well there aren’t to many Buick shops left anyway. I have known every single one of them. In some occasions, if you have deep pockets then they will try to get your car tuned out or do what ever needs to be done to get the most power out of our cars. Nine out of ten cars will not get that service because we don’t have deep pockets. You really can’t blame the shop for that because they are just too backed up and they have to meet their overhead. I am sorry to say but now days if you want to get your car to run hard for all the goodies you have on it then you have to spend an ample amount of time to achieve that by your self.

In my opinion if you start with a good scan tool like the Power logger, Scan master, T link and even all the latest stand alone systems that are available in the market that is capable of showing/ record all your sensor readings, it’s pretty much easy to either diagnose what is wrong with the car or tune for street or track provided that you have good proven system like a Translator plus or the Mafpro, Fast, Bigstuff or XFI to make the necessary adjustments to get the car where it should be.

Once you get the car in Ball Park, then you would need a dyno or best yet a track to make the adjustments to see if the car actually have gotten faster or making more power. The butt dyno is useless after a certain point. I have people told me I change this and I changed that and the car is much faster yet when we took the car to the dyno or to the track the car actually slowed down.

Every car is different; I have seen cars with very similar combo yet one of them like 22 degrees of timing and other like 20 degrees of timing with pump gas and alky. Some runs harder with less boost and more timing and other more boost and less timing. You have to play around and find the sweep spot on your car then go to the track. I will guaranty that you will be much happier with the results.

Just my $.02

Prasad

A friend of mine and I let Street Performance use a brand new air compressor, we purchased, to get that business on its feet (just trying to help). When the shop closed, 2 years later, the compressor was given away, UNBEKNOWNST TO US.:mad: :mad: :mad:

So basically, everybody who had their car worked on, at this shop, in the past two or so years, owes us compressor and air royalty money for work on their cars.:D

5% of your final bills will be fine. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Heard hes closed...

I heard from a credible source that Gary has closed his doors and moved to a farm or something like that. To that I say good. I just he didnt leave a bunch of customers wondering what happened.

No shops around here want to spend the actual time that is required to tune our cars. Well there aren’t to many Buick shops left anyway. I have known every single one of them. In some occasions, if you have deep pockets then they will try to get your car tuned out or do what ever needs to be done to get the most power out of our cars. Nine out of ten cars will not get that service because we don’t have deep pockets. You really can’t blame the shop for that because they are just too backed up and they have to meet their overhead. I am sorry to say but now days if you want to get your car to run hard for all the goodies you have on it then you have to spend an ample amount of time to achieve that by your self.

In my opinion if you start with a good scan tool like the Power logger, Scan master, T link and even all the latest stand alone systems that are available in the market that is capable of showing/ record all your sensor readings, it’s pretty much easy to either diagnose what is wrong with the car or tune for street or track provided that you have good proven system like a Translator plus or the Mafpro, Fast, Bigstuff or XFI to make the necessary adjustments to get the car where it should be.

Once you get the car in Ball Park, then you would need a dyno or best yet a track to make the adjustments to see if the car actually have gotten faster or making more power. The butt dyno is useless after a certain point. I have people told me I change this and I changed that and the car is much faster yet when we took the car to the dyno or to the track the car actually slowed down.

Every car is different; I have seen cars with very similar combo yet one of them like 22 degrees of timing and other like 20 degrees of timing with pump gas and alky. Some runs harder with less boost and more timing and other more boost and less timing. You have to play around and find the sweep spot on your car then go to the track. I will guaranty that you will be much happier with the results.

Just my $.02

Prasad

I'm not bad-mouthing street performance or anyother shop. I was just stating how the car runs-could of been from the previous owner beating on it. A board member that lives by me pm'd me and said he would help me tune the beast:D but unfortuntely i have to wait till the end of winter to get it done.

I'm not bad-mouthing street performance or anyother shop. I was just stating how the car runs-could of been from the previous owner beating on it. A board member that lives by me pm'd me and said he would help me tune the beast:D but unfortuntely i have to wait till the end of winter to get it done.

I totally understand, I was just making a general statement that we need to work on our own stuff unless we have deep pockets. Even then you never know, the priority for every one that is in this business is to make money as they should.

That's great how a board member is willing to help you out, which is the way it should be. This is such a small community when it comes to our cars yet it’s a tight one. As far as I am concerned if you have a Buick we are all brothers. If I can, I will do anything to help a Buick brother out.

Prasad

That's great how a board member is willing to help you out, which is the way it should be. This is such a small community when it comes to our cars yet it’s a tight one. As far as I am concerned if you have a Buick we are all brothers. If I can, I will do anything to help a Buick brother out.

Prasad

You'll find many helpful people here:
Chicagoland Chapter **** Meeting & Technical Session
Sunday; February 11, 2007 @ 10:00 am
Casper's Electronics, Inc
133 Wilhelm Road Mundeline, IL 60060

Paul

You'll find many helpful people here:
Chicagoland Chapter **** Meeting & Technical Session
Sunday; February 11, 2007 @ 10:00 am
Casper's Electronics, Inc
133 Wilhelm Road Mundeline, IL 60060

Paul

You know Paul, I used to attend all the meetings but since all the winter meetings kind of fall on Sundays, I don't really get chance to make it due to family obligations.:(

Prasad

Prasad, I wish we could hold more of them on Saturdays, but we're at the mercy most of the time, of the place we hold it. A lot of them are open for business on Saturdays, and we would just plain old get in the way.

I can't say that about the events we hold at the Moose. We'll try to remember that for next year's chilli cook off, maybe move it to a Saturday. Although our speakers sometimes need Saturday for travel.....

We'll just have to see. Sorry - didn't mean to hijack, here.

Please return to the subject at hand.....

Prasad, I wish we could hold more of them on Saturdays, but we're at the mercy most of the time, of the place we hold it. A lot of them are open for business on Saturdays, and we would just plain old get in the way.

I can't say that about the events we hold at the Moose. We'll try to remember that for next year's chilli cook off, maybe move it to a Saturday. Although our speakers sometimes need Saturday for travel.....

We'll just have to see. Sorry - didn't mean to hijack, here.

Please return to the subject at hand.....

Sherry, I totally understand the situation, I wish I can show up on Sunday but then again I would have to move into my Garage permanently.

And you never have to apologize to us thinking that you hijacked the thread, you are always welcome here to say what ever you like. You always have something good or pleasant to say to us.

Prasad