Stock turbo rebuild

gage mason

Hey guys. Need a little help/guidance. I want to do the turbo rebuild in the "how to" section of these forums bu I'm having trouble finding what rebuild kit to get. Or if it's even worth rebuilding over getting an all new turbo. Anyway...what is the exact stock turbo in an 86 GN? Is it the GAR TB0348 TA4? And what rebuild kit should I get off of gpopshop.com?

You can get the rebuild parts you need from me. Id suggest replacing the bearing housing also. You need to have access to a media blaster to remove the carbon from the turbine shaft and you should re-balance the wheels as an assembly since most of the stock turbos will be out of balance after attempting to re-align the compressor nut after replacing internal components. Its possible to mark the wheels and re-align them but if the nut has had material removed from it then it will be difficult to get all three components lined up and torqued properly. Properly re-building one is more than the average do it your selfer can handle unless they have access to the media blaster and a shop that can balance the wheels. Also the journal diameter must be measured. Ive seen many that are undersize and requrie an undersize bearing. PM if interested

Hey guys. Need a little help/guidance. I want to do the turbo rebuild in the "how to" section of these forums bu I'm having trouble finding what rebuild kit to get. Or if it's even worth rebuilding over getting an all new turbo. Anyway...what is the exact stock turbo in an 86 GN? Is it the GAR TB0348 TA4? And what rebuild kit should I get off of gpopshop.com?

I have a very nice used one for sale if that helps at all:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/fs-30k-mile-ta-turbo-w-polished-cover.392526/

ks