stock or external Wastegate???

Stock is best for relatively stock combo. No need to complicate you life.

Some larger turbo combinations work better with an external wastegate. Externals, in theory can hold more boost and flow more air, but there are 100's of things before "external wastegate" on a prioritized list of mods.

I have done all the basic mods, I may upgrade my turbo to ether a TA 49 or 60. I have a 3000 stall in the car now.

only worry about external if you're in danger of the internal style wastegate ports not being able to flow enough to maintain boost control. for a street driven car with a ta49, that's pretty much not going to happen. the expense and hassle isn't worth it in this case.

Doubtful, I run a 70 with stock wastegate system on my daily driver, but I do have a BSTC controller on it with dual solenoids for a wider incar range of control. Heavy duty actuator and THDP are also minor normal changes from the stock stuff.

Properly matched wastegate and puck and turbo exhaust housing is relatively easy stuff to do.

No heads and cam on my car.

As previously mentioned it depends on your combo. not just the turbo itself but you do need to know what housings are on it and what downpipe puck size etc. to do everything properly.

I know of at least one 9 sec TSM car that runs the stock wastegate (looped WG to compessor) and that is what I run

(use a Dawes or Grainger check valve to keep the gate shut during spoolup)

external gate would be needed if ya wanna run electronic boost control

otherwise, don't waste your money

Originally posted by azgn
I know of at least one 9 sec TSM car that runs the stock wastegate (looped WG to compessor) and that is what I run

(use a Dawes or Grainger check valve to keep the gate shut during spoolup)

external gate would be needed if ya wanna run electronic boost control

otherwise, don't waste your money

You can use the internal gate with electronic boost controllers also.

Unless you have to run an exhaust housing that does not have internal wastegating, stick with the internal gate. They are reliable and have been proven for MANY years. No need to mess with success!!