Stock axel limits ???? what to upgrade to??

BMF_Racing

ONE B.M.F.
Ok, so I have the Turbo T in my sig. I recently made a couple of harder launches with the new setup and just thought about the stock axel issue. I have recently made one pass at 5psi off the trans-brake and got a 1.595 60 ft. on 255/60 M/T ET Street DR's.

So I have a couple of questions that may be hard to give in exact answer to, but just looking for some opinions.

What are the stock axels/carrier good till? (60ft times)

What are the aftermarket 28 spline axels good till?:confused:

I want to upgrade the axels, but only want to do it once. (not opposed to going 31 or 33 spline w/ full spool just don't know if it is overkill)

BTW,
The car is currently an 11 sec setup, but will be in the mid to low 10's in a yr or so. Car is Factory wieght with full int and all accessories still functioning.

Thanks for the help.

My stock axels got messed up when my bearings went out so I upgraded to Moser 28 spline axels from Summit for about $300. I was told they can handle up to 1000 hp. Just my $.02

Switch the 9" in the Olds for the 8.5 in the T. Get 3.50 gears for the 9" and call it a day:D

Switch the 9" in the Olds for the 8.5 in the T. Get 3.50 gears for the 9" and call it a day:D

True, but then I'd have a very heavy setup in the T-type (Moser 9" bolt-in w/ 35 spline axels & full spool). Then again the Cutlass will prolly break the 8.5 :(

My stock axels got messed up when my bearings went out so I upgraded to Moser 28 spline axels from Summit for about $300. I was told they can handle up to 1000 hp. Just my $.02

So has anyone broke the 28 spline axels from Moser? If so, at what ET/HP rating?:confused:

The ford 9" with an alum center will be lighter than a stock 8.5, and be 3 times as strong. About $2800 bolt in with stock brakes gm drums.

ford 9" moser housing 60lbs
35 spline axles 40 lbs
alum center section with gears and locker 55 lbs

Wondering about the Mosher axels as well. I have a new set sitting in the box in my garage just waiting on my trans so I can down the car for the weekend and then be back up and running. Jon Hanson

The ford 9" with an alum center will be lighter than a stock 8.5, and be 3 times as strong. About $2800 bolt in with stock brakes gm drums.

ford 9" moser housing 60lbs
35 spline axles 40 lbs
alum center section with gears and locker 55 lbs

Not sure I need the 9" or the 35splines for a low 10 sec car. How fast have people gone on the 28 spline Moser's in the 8.5???

I like that idea :) ..if it was my low 10 sec. car I would.....wait a minute :confused: I have already done that for that exact reason :rolleyes: .

I say do it once and don;t worry about it. It all depends if you want to go faster or even launch harder. Your at 5 psi now, how about in the future 10 psi..15 psi etc..

So has anyone broke the 28 spline axels from Moser? If so, at what ET/HP rating?:confused:

I know of Transbrake launches braking 28 spline axles in a season of racing,were taking about alot 20lb plus ,launches but you should be good if you stay away from transbrake alltogether ! I'm footbraking 1.50 6.5 106mph I guess it's at least 600 some hp my car weighs 3700 with me in it .. trick that I heard of was to mark a straight line on axles and keep and eye on them ,and if you upgrade it won't slow down it keep you from braking down !
FROM MOSER'S PAGE :
REPLACEMENT POLICY
Moser Engineering, Inc. will, at its’ sole discretion replace or repair, free of cost, any part found not to be of ordered dimensional specifications, prior to assembly or use of the part.

In addition, Moser Engineering, Inc. will replace their 33, 35, & 40 spline axles for a period of ten (10) years after the original date of purchase if broken at the splined end due to excessive horsepower. However, 33 spline axles that were broken due to excessive horsepower will be replaced at the sole option of Moser Engineering, Inc., with 35 spline axles. In the event that 35 spline axles are broken due to excessive horsepower within ten (10) years of purchase, they will be replaced at the sole option of Moser Engineering, Inc., with 40 spline axles. If 40 spline axles are broken due to excessive horsepower, they will be replaced at the sole option of Moser Engineering, Inc with another set of 40 spline axles, free of charge.
This replacement policy only applies to the original purchaser and broken axles must be returned without alteration or repair, including welding, along with your proof of purchase, name, address, telephone number, and a description of the problem. This replacement policy applies only to asphalt drag race and typical street/strip applications. This replacement policy is not a warranty either expressed or implied.

This replacement policy is only applicable for parts manufactured by Moser Engineering, Inc. and have the “M/E” trademark and does not apply to parts damaged due to accident or collision, abuse, misuse, or improper installation or service.

In no event will Moser Engineering be responsible for damages including but not limited to down time, lost profits, goodwill, damage to or replacement of equipment and property, loss of use, or cost of substituted products.

1.50 is a pretty hard 60 in my opinion, but there's calculator on the moser site to figure what the axle can hold. Here it is:

Moser Engineering

Also remember it can be very ugly if a c-clip axle breaks and the c-clip eminator kits all leak after street miles. You will have to weld ends on that take ford bearings.

1.50 is a pretty hard 60 in my opinion, but there's calculator on the moser site to figure what the axle can hold. Here it is:

Moser Engineering

Also remember it can be very ugly if a c-clip axle breaks and the c-clip eminator kits all leak after street miles. You will have to weld ends on that take ford bearings.

That's a cool calculator.......by chance do you know the 1st gear ratio?

I have been reading more and more on these things and I have a question that relates to this. I am only seeing a 28 and 30 spline carrier at places like Summit. Is there a bigger carrier that will fit in the 8.5? I am going to have to upgrade but I cannot afford a 9" right now! I guess I should also state that this is for a street car which it seems is a common thing so a spool is not the preference.