Stock axel limits ???? what to upgrade to??

Why not a 12 bolt rear w/o c-clip retainers and with the disc brake option. That GM 8.5 has a lot of problems: flimsy wheel cylinder clips, backing plate that flexs on hard braking, C-Clips, and pressed in axle tubes. This suggestion is for a race car that runs often at the track, sure the Ford 9" is the best for sure. My .02$ Gene

I broke the stock 28 spline with my car 60' in the 1.5's. IMHO if you are running below 11.50 and 60' in the 1.5's consistently, you should be upgrading your axles. Moser 28 spline as the minimum.

I planned on running 10's so I chose to upgrade to Moser 30 Spline and an Eaton posi and I went with the Ford ends to eliminate the C-clips. 30 spline is as big as you can go with a posi unit. After that you have to go with a spool.

My car runs low 10's @ 3500+ LBS and 60' consistently in the 1.4's off the footbrake.

Repeated trans-brake launceh will hurt the axles if you have decent traction. Low 1.50's for a while. They have gone high 1.40's off the foot brake for a while. Most just replace them. I have moser 28 spline in my car currently and have made at least 50 passes where it went faster than 1.65 60' and they havent twisted at all. Several t-brake launches too

A few years ago, with stock axles, I was running mid to high 11's with 1.6's 60 foot times. Attached is what a broken axle looks like. I was super lucky that this happened during a burnout so my foot was on the brake, holding the wheel in place. NOTHING :eek: is holding your wheel if your axle breaks like mine did!!! I was lucky and then I added c-clip eliminators and Moser 28 spline axles. Paul

Attachments

• axle1.jpg
    axle1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 346
  • axle.jpg
    axle.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 350
The ford 9" with an alum center will be lighter than a stock 8.5, and be 3 times as strong. About $2800 bolt in with stock brakes gm drums.

ford 9" moser housing 60lbs
35 spline axles 40 lbs
alum center section with gears and locker 55 lbs

Running an aluminum center on the street is not advised. Those are only for the hardest of hardcore racers. The alum will expand and contract and cause quick ring/pininion wear...I don't advise it and I'm sure moser/strange/curry would not either. :)

I just bring this up in case you intend on running your race car on the street...that's all.

I broke the stock 28 spline with my car 60' in the 1.5's. IMHO if you are running below 11.50 and 60' in the 1.5's consistently, you should be upgrading your axles. Moser 28 spline as the minimum.

I planned on running 10's so I chose to upgrade to Moser 30 Spline and an Eaton posi and I went with the Ford ends to eliminate the C-clips. 30 spline is as big as you can go with a posi unit. After that you have to go with a spool.

My car runs low 10's @ 3500+ LBS and 60' consistently in the 1.4's off the footbrake.

So the stock axle is 28 spline? What is the benefit of a Moser 28 spline over stock?
I have 28 spline in my car. How can I tell if it is Moser or stock?

So the stock axle is 28 spline? What is the benefit of a Moser 28 spline over stock?
I have 28 spline in my car. How can I tell if it is Moser or stock?

Yes, stockers are 28 spline. Moser 28 splines are I think something like 30% stronger....but don't quote me on that #, call Moser and find out for sure. Regardless, I would recommend 30 splines for a low 10 second car. Most of the companies that make aftermarket axles would tell you the 30 spline is not enough and would recommend 33 or 35 spline. At least that is what Strange and Mark Williams told me. I chose 30 splines after doing my own research on the Buick forums.

so on this subject,

would rear disk brakes be an acceptable method of axle retention? over the leaky c-clip eliminators?

get better braking while your at it? sounds too good to be true....

A.j.

Great thread. I have a stock rear end and axles and am looking to upgrade because I know it is a matter of time.

The diameter of the moser hub I believe is a bit larger diameter than stock, where the studs go for the wheels.

Don't have either measurement handy but I know I would have had to turn them down to fit the Baer rear brake kit with the Mosers.

Running an aluminum center on the street is not advised. Those are only for the hardest of hardcore racers. The alum will expand and contract and cause quick ring/pininion wear...I don't advise it and I'm sure moser/strange/curry would not either. :)

I just bring this up in case you intend on running your race car on the street...that's all.

Who told you this BS?

Disc brakes only have to do with a brake option not axle retention. Ford type retainers are related to this. Another point; according to my rear end rebuilder, "No Synthetic Gear Lube ever in the rear end" He wouldn't warranty any that he had rebuilt using it. "Amsoil" cost me a $1200 rebuild, inner pinion bearing was pitted and blue from using it. Dealer wouldn't warranty it, sorry but another sore subject with me. The gear noise was so loud you could here it coming for blocks. I ran this car many times with the wheels off the floor both forward and reverse during storage! Gene PS. He didn't like C-Clip Eliminators either on a street driven car. Some other points to consider to when addressing rear ends. IMHO

Who told you this BS?

I have to give a X2 on this.

I have over 35K miles on my 9" in my Cutlass with no issues at all from the Alum center. And those where not easy miles, spraying anywhere from 200 to 350 hp n20 during that time.

I have to give a X2 on this.

I have over 35K miles on my 9" in my Cutlass with no issues at all from the Alum center. And those where not easy miles, spraying anywhere from 200 to 350 hp n20 during that time.

I AGREE BMF , HAVING A 9" BUILT RIGHT NOW FOR MY 78 PONTIAC GRAND AM SETUP , WITH ALUM CENTER , GUN DRILLED 35 SPLINE AXLES 3.50 PRO GEARS WITH LIGHT WEIGHT SPOOL , WITH STRANGE DISC BRAKES , C CLIP ENDS ON THE REAR . AND THIS CAR IS A STREET CAR ALL THE WAY , MY GUY KNOWS HOW TO KEEP IT RUNNING COOL ON THE STREET . AND THIS CAR WILL BE STREET DRIVEN AND RACED ON THE STREET , THE ONLY WAY I RACE .

NO they are not .. been there an done it :eek:

Can I get details?

The only reason I asked, is because i have some vintage axles that use nuthing more then a "U' shaped bracket on the drum as a "Safety Loop" for the event an axle breaks. thats why I figured a disk would have same effect.

:confused: A.j.