Stock 86-87 turbo specs?

furious70

Looking at buying some GN turbos for a project, the guy says they are off 86-87's, and are tb304's....but googling that shows up nothing. Anyone got a link to the full specs on the stock turbo and/or know what a tb304 is?

Thanks!

Thanks! How about any details on the turbine side? Wheel size and a/r? How responsive are they on a 3.8L? At what rpm do they choke on a stock engine? Maybe better, what hp level does the turbine give up at?

T3 Stage I 2.319"/1.90" = 48.26 mm ( stock turbo)

T3 Stage II 2.559"/2.122" = 53.89 mm

T3 Stage III 2.559" / 2.228" = 56.6 mm (Precision T31)

T3 Stage V (T350) 2.795" / 2.437" = 61.89 mm (Precision T350)

They spool basically instantly on a stock motor,and there's a few folks who have run in the 11s with them. The stock exhaust housing is a .63 and they spool great.

I'm planning my TT big block mopar project around them too. Going to use the stock cast elbows and internal wastegates for low buck,trouble free boost control.

What size motor you putting them on?

Right now I'm working on a 383 build in my 70 Sport Fury. I'm building it around Ford 5spd turbocoupe units at present, 60 trims with .63a/r turbines. I am fearful that they will be too small. For packaging and to try to stem the choking I'm running external 38mm WG's. I'm only looking for 450-500hp and an rpm limit of 5000rpm would be ok, though being able to breathe a bit more would be welcomed. The stock GN turbos should be bigger than the turbocoupes I would imagine? They would be set for a 440-460" engine as twins, which might make them slow to react on a 383? The goofy 3 bolt flanges is a bit of a turnoff though if I end up moving up later on.

Not sure outsiders consider this turbo for their project, the fact you have to design a header flange around our 3 bolt design is just silly. You have TONS of options if you go 4 bolt and you're not stuck with a turbo designed in 1985.

Attachments

• Map1.jpg
    Map1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 641
  • Map2.jpg
    Map2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 562
Not sure outsiders consider this turbo for their project, the fact you have to design a header flange around our 3 bolt design is just silly. You have TONS of options if you go 4 bolt and you're not stuck with a turbo designed in 1985.

Yeah there have been some folks that build around them,and some that are turned away by the 3 bolt.

I figure the stockers will make plenty of power for my first build (400ci) and if I ever need an upgrade I can bolt on 49/44/60/61 right in their place.

FWIW,the famous turboforums grenade build was two stockers then two 44s. He went mid-low 9s on a junkyard smallblock.

I didn't consider the upgrade path for GN's that are still 3 bolt, that is a consideration.

For me, it's budget based, I'm not looking to spend $500 a piece on turbos.

When I looked at the maps on squirrel I saw that the compressor doesn't really seem to be much bigger, which was a surprise for 2.3L vs 3.8L. I'm not reading that wrong, am I? Do they both have the same .63 turbine and wheel? (I don't know the wheel measurements of the Ford one off the top of my head)

Budget and familiarity with the platform was it for me too.

There's plenty of stockers floating around in the for sale section,and TA-49/TE44 are pretty cheap these days when they come up.

How are your maps looking for your motor? I plugged mine in and it looks decent until 3500rpm,straight up the middle of the map,then it hangs a right and goes off the map. What's that about?

ya, about the same for me...the Ford turbo actually looks better, which doesn't make sense 2.3L vs 3.8L...

ya, about the same for me...the Ford turbo actually looks better, which doesn't make sense 2.3L vs 3.8L...

Yeah I clicked on some of the dsm turbos and they looked way better too. Some of them are friggin tiny compared to a stock gn too. I'm thinking there's some wires crossed somewhere with the gn turbo map. Tried the t61 and it looked good too. WTF?:confused:

Way bigger and way smaller are fine but in the middle is no good?

You could always get or make, however your doing it, 4 bolt turbo headers and then just get or make the 4 bolt to 3 bolt adapters so that you can use the stock turbo and should you want to go to a 4 bolt turbo you can just take off the adapter. Here's a pic of what the adapter looks like.

jasons%20206%20(Small).jpg

Hell you could probly just fab plates like you have and weld em on to the manifolds. Just bolt up and run whatever you have handy...

Probably less than that since I'll be running Brodix B1-BS heads.

You're going to be so far off the right side of these maps with a 400" and those heads it won't be funny! That is unless you're going to put a Cummins rev limiter on it :p

Yeah I clicked on some of the dsm turbos and they looked way better too. Some of them are friggin tiny compared to a stock gn too. I'm thinking there's some wires crossed somewhere with the gn turbo map. Tried the t61 and it looked good too. WTF?:confused:

Way bigger and way smaller are fine but in the middle is no good?

Well, the Ford map is considerably wider, in the 1.6-1.8 PR range (where I'll be) it's 8lbs/min wider.