Still a poping problem. Help, need opinions

GNAT87

Alright heres is my story and what we did today...

Under boost it sputters, bucks, the whole nine yards. I pulled valve covers and found broken rocker arm stud. Replaced that this weekend hoping it would do the trick and no. Today we checked FP and its dead on, goes up 1lb per lb of boost. We unpugged cam sensor and it still did it, rule that out, checked crank sensor and its fine. We then lowered the boost to 14-15lbs and it still sputtered when in it, but not near as bad as what it does at 28 lbs.

The coil pack, module, and wires are all new. AC Delco module and pack, Magnacore 10mm wires as well. Stock alternator.

What are my chances of the AC Delco parts being bad when brand new?

Also when im in it and its sputtering the RPM's stay right around 4000.

Feel free to ask questions, I need all the help I can get. Im ready to get this thing fixed!:mad:

Yeah new AC Delco as well went in with the motor 4 months ago. And with my eyes and feeler gauge the best I could. Then I got down and listend to see if it was making contact with the reluctor(spelling) ring and it wasnt.

Also new autolite 103's this past weekend. The ones that came out looked fine, good color. Gapped at about .31

same thing happened to me since I bought my GN. I did all the checks. I installed a new coil pack, module, ecm, wires, plugs. I found out it was a bad Mass air unit.

All the plugs looked the same and fine i just changed them for a piece of mind and to close the gap a little but I didnt think my spark was getting blown out.

No MAF here with the XFI

All the plugs looked the same and fine i just changed them for a piece of mind and to close the gap a little but I didnt think my spark was getting blown out.

No MAF here with the XFI

what a dumb ass. I should read sigs more often:(

Taylor I have a Caspers coil/ign module tester. UPS them to me and I can check them if you want to rule out that at least.

LEt me know.

ED

Datalogs don't tell me much. I've had a couple people look at them but all we could come up with is low voltage. Doesn't 12.2 seem a little low for a car with a voltbooster? I don't think it's the tune. I had Cotton come down for 3 days and made 30+ blast on the street with no problem. Hes got the car dialed in. There have been no changes on the car other than the coil and module since then because the old one was leaking or melting and it was the original.

Ed, I will probably go that route and get you to test it. I will let you know soon and thank you for the offer.

Datalogs don't tell me much. I've had a couple people look at them but all we could come up with is low voltage. Doesn't 12.2 seem a little low for a car with a voltbooster?

That's real low.... if it's no problem, I think I would remove the voltbooster and see if that does anything.... sounds like it obviously isn't working correctly, and perhaps it's doing something funny in the electrical system to spurn (how's that for a word? :p ) a gremlin..... shouldn't need it anyway....

Could the stock alternator be causing the low voltage problem? The voltbooster is new as well and at first I was getting great voltage. I want all the volts I can get to the pumps

Did you check your FP hot wire for rubbing against the frame. I would also check the voltage at the pump.

I havent I will have to do that but everything checked out good on the fuel pressure today. For some reason im leaning to it being ignition related...

Could the stock alternator be causing the low voltage problem? The voltbooster is new as well and at first I was getting great voltage. I want all the volts I can get to the pumps

It's a known fact that voltboosters smoke the alternator.... sometimes very quickly, sometimes not so quickly. I understand wanting max voltage to the pumps, but you DON'T want all that voltage elsewhere.... I don't know your goals, but 2 Red's pumps at 13.5 V should be easily sufficient for low 9's with plenty of safety margin.... again.... 'I' would ace the VB, verify proper alternator operation, and give it a shot..... you 'might' have damaged an ignition component due to the VB.....

It's a known fact that voltboosters smoke the alternator.... sometimes very quickly, sometimes not so quickly. I understand wanting max voltage to the pumps, but you DON'T want all that voltage elsewhere.... I don't know your goals, but 2 Red's pumps at 13.5 V should be easily sufficient for low 9's with plenty of safety margin.... again.... 'I' would ace the VB, verify proper alternator operation, and give it a shot..... you 'might' have damaged an ignition component due to the VB.....

+1

Throw the vb in the garbage and go get your alt. fixed. ;) :biggrin:

Rick

sorry to interupt, but the Queensryche avatar is badass

Queensryche rules.:cool:

+3 on the Volt Booster Taylor. Its not meant to be on the car. Factory voltage ,if working properly, is sufficient to run all components. Your low voltage is possibly the gremlin keeping everythng else from working good.