STEP BY STEP ENGINE REBUILD!

Would have been alot easier to yank the block with all that stuff on and just remove it while on the stand. No need to bend over the fender for all that.

Yes i know but i noticed that while taking it a part next time it will get pulled in one piece and put back in in one piece!

Is the gap between the rocker and shaft supposed to be there? ??

ks

1.jpg

Yes. These rocker arms are pretty loose on the shaft. This is my set with one year of wear on it.
1388028559218.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Yes. These rocker arms are pretty loose on the shaft. This is my set with one year of wear on it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Damn, where does that metal go..=(

Can a 1.65 Harland Sharp roller rocker be used with the stock cam w/o valve guide modifications or "custom" pushrod lengths? I know the pedestals will need to be clearance for them.

ks

Why is that? I've never seen the tranny supported when the engine comes out.
You HAVE TO SUPPORT the trans by the pan if your leaving it in when you pull the engine. The front of the trans WILL DROP pivoting on the trans mount, possibly tearing the rubber, and jamming the tailshaft and front u-joint into the trans tunnel while the front of the trans drops and the torque convertor slides off the pump shaft onto the floor.

Question for the pros!!!

What are these injectors!
View attachment 209898
Injector pic 2
View attachment 209899
Injector pic with numbers
View attachment 209900

Next took the valve cover out cause i was curious!

Do the heads look stock do the springs look stock anything special you guys can see???
View attachment 209901
Head
View attachment 209902
Head!
View attachment 209903

So if you guys can answer this would be very apreciated!

Thanks and talk to you guys later!

Why are you missing a rocker shaft bolt? :confused: If you didn't take that out that could easily be where all that noise was coming from. I kind of doubt the engine would stay running/not snap the shaft if it was missing the whole time though.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I was just looking at the hole with nothing in it. All the bolts are there. Back to my coffee! :D

Another qustion i had who makes a complete engine gasket kit for our buicks and if you guys have a part number even better!

Can anyone tell me if those heads are the original 3.8 turbo heads?
The last 4 digits on your heads are 8445 which I believe are stock irons. Someone that breathes these cars daily will chime in I'm sure. Good luck with your build and thanks for documenting it. Happy New Year!

DSCN0152.JPG
You HAVE TO SUPPORT the trans by the pan if your leaving it in when you pull the engine. The front of the trans WILL DROP pivoting on the trans mount, possibly tearing the rubber, and jamming the tailshaft and front u-joint into the trans tunnel while the front of the trans drops and the torque convertor slides off the pump shaft onto the floor.

I made a trans support for mine so I could work on the car while it waits for it's new heart ! I'll be running it up & down the lift quite a few times while doing the fuel lines & clean up.

Install some HR motor mounts while you have the engine out. With a set of those, you can lose the torque strap altogether.

I tried the RJC part, it was ok but it worried me being so close to the metal lines so I took it back off.