spring install

dank GN

BlackArts Automotive (661)993-8277
i just got done installing new bushings in the front end im having a problem installing the springs any trick tips?

you need an internal spring compressor
flat wound end of spring to top
i glue the thin insulator for top of spring to the frame
make sure top of spring is positioned properly (all tanges inside spring )
get the bottom of spring seated into the lower arm (bottom tail between holes)
raise the lower arm and position a jack at the furthest point you can grab

I just used some clear packing tape to tape the Isolators to the springs. The hard part is getting the spring compressor on the right rings so when it is fully compressed it will come off the spring. The more outer coils you use the harder it is to get the tool off. Also I found that if you put a small bolt in one of the holes at the bottom of the lower control arm it will help keep the end of the coil between the two marks.

thanks guys im going to try and tackle it today

If you have a roll-around floor jack there is another method that is quick & easy. And what I feel is safer. I developed this method after having a spring compressor slip off a spring while it was compressed. Having a spring compressed is like holding onto a grenade with the pin pulled. I was lucky and neither the car or myself sustained damage.

How to: attach the spindle to the upper and lower ball joints, leaving the bushing end of the a-arm free. Place the spring into the lower a-arm making sure that the end is between the two holes. Place a heavy chain through the spring and through the shock opening in the a-arm and fix together.

This chain is an important safety feature as it will contain the spring if anything lets go.

Now place the floor jack under the car directly from the front. Rotate the lift cup on the jack so two of the ears catch the lip under the a-arm between the bushings. Grab two heavy duty Phillips heads screwdrivers, and have them handy.

Easily jack up the a-arm and note it's position as it is jacked up into place. Check the upper end of the spring that it is entering the pocket for it in the frame.

Take it slow and adjust the jack fore & aft so that the a-arm bushings go up into the frame area that holds them. May also need to shove the jack & a-arm further into or out for alignment. Do this stuff with little tension on the spring, even if you need to lower the jack a smidgen.

As the a-arm is lifted into place check the bolt hole alignment. Once a bushing is in/near position place a Phillips screwdriver through that hole. Adjust the jack as required and lift the other a-arm bushing/ear into place.

Slide the other Phillips head screwdriver through that bushing bolt hole.

Hard part is over, take a step back and relax for a moment.

You may need to adjust the jack position a little for the finale, but all that needs to be done is to install the bolts. If you can push the bolt through while having it drive the screw driver out all the better. I usually end up tapping the bolts through with a hammer (note that I said tapping, not hammering).

Drop the jack, remove the chain, and torque those and the ball joint nuts to spec. Don't forget the cotter pins.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Got them in today wasn't to bad with the right spring compressor . I was attempting to use a strut spring compressor lol