spray gun suggestions

Sal Lubrano

Hello, I want to spray my Gn myself. I have been doing a lot of research and I feel it is very possible to do it al home with excellent results. My only problem is I am having trouble finding a good gun for the price. I have been looking at the cheap Harbor frieght to guns around $500. There are so many different spray guns on the market and everyone likes a different one. Does anyone have any input to help me out. I probally wouldn't spray many cars in my lifetime but I want what I do to come out good. I hate orange peel.
Thank You
Sal

I use a Kobalt HVLP $99.00 Gravity feed gun for my base and clear, I bought it at Lowe's, and a $99 draw style Sears HVLP for my primer. They work well for me. One of these days when I find all my old print pictures of my 86 T-type I'll show you the results. :D

The Kobalt HVLP Gravity uses a lot less air pressure so my tank stays in the higher pressure zone easier and it's a bit more forgiving. A decent gun can paint a show quality finish once you dial them in. I use cardboard to make sure me spray pattern is right and I use an old fender as a test panel to make sure my flow is right.

My Kobalt is a 1.5 tip, I think my Sears gun is a 1.8, but not 100% sure.

I have a real love/hate thing going with painting my own stuff. Painting motorcycles is fun though, I've yet to screw one of those up yet. :D

the best deal on found was from mack tools. i believe it is iwata that makes them. i also got half off though for being in school but you get the base/clear, primer, and mini gun. they work great. satas are great! but pricey

Buy you a DeVilbiss 670 plus. Use the 1.3 tip for base, then swap tips and use the 1.2 for the clear. Its the main gun I use at my paint shop and a razor works good on single stage paints. Sata guns are great but very expensive considering you won't use it many times at all. Or buy you a killer sata gun then sell it to me after your done. Daniel Ray

I use the SATA 2000 for the base coat with a 1.3 tip and the SATA RP for my clear coat with a 1.3 tip also. They are pricey guns but doesn't take much to lay down a good paint job with them!!! What ever gun you use I would make sure a filter is on the line right before the gun and look into SATA's paint cups for what ever gun you choose because the are throw away or cap them up and you can keep the paint in them for future use and they come with a filter also to install in the cups and the more filtering the better the paint comes out with less chance of a particle coming out the gun and messing the base/ clear coat up.