Speedometer quit, Help

larryc

My speedometer Quit in my 86 T and I dont have much experience in that area. It quit and started making a zinging noise after I got on it. I drove it last night and it still does not work and makes the same zinging noise when the car is moving. I noticed it does try to move when the car is in reverse. Can you fine folks give me some advise on what to look for to trouble shoot this issue. I dont want to drive the car until Its fixed. Thanks for your help.

Speedometer Quit

If you can get the upper cable unscrewed from the lower then test the speedometer from there and make sure the cable is easy to turn and lubricated. I've put a slow speed drill at the short end to make sure the cable is turning the speedometer. Look for speedo cable kinks or binds down the fire wall and to the transmission crossmember. Screw the two cables back together then Unscrew the speedometer cable from the transmission and spin it with a slow speed drill to see if its working. If it is, screw the cable back on to the transmission, remove the retaining clip (10mm), pull out the gear and see if any of the teeth are missing or damaged. If so, remember the color and get you another gear. Good Luck!