Special tools for 2004R rebuild

Paul Lohr

What special tools did you end up purchasing for your 2004R rebuild?

Which specialty tools did you find a way around?

Is the hydraulic press mandatory?

Thank you for any help,
Paul Lohr

I have a press so I used that to put in New bushings but you could probably find a local shop that might install them and hot tank the case.
Low / rev tool while not required is much easier with it.
Hand tools I already have.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Press
bushing install tool
Universal clutch drum spring compressor $80
Lip seal installer $10- you can make one out of some tubing and piano wire
Low/reverse tool- will make life much easier
O.D. spring compressor- " " " " "
Intermediate servo cover compressor- " " " " "
Pump removal tool- not necessary but nice to have
Forward/Direct drum installer- not necessary but nice to have

Thank you TexasT and mikestertwo for your help.

I think I have figured out that there is only one time where a hydraulic press is required - for the stator bushing. Is this correct?

It looks like most of the bushings can be removed with a bushing removal chisel. Or by driving the bushing all the way through with a bushing driver. Except the forward clutch housing bushing - the J-29337 tool can be used or a special technique with common tools. For those purchasing a stronger forward clutch housing, we don't need to remove its bushing since the new clutch housing should not have a bushing that needs to be removed. Does this sound right?

I created a PDF with hopefully all of the tools that may be needed for the 200-4R rebuild. You can download it. It prints best on 11x17 paper.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwSEg-i8ChhRZmUxY3pDZHRGX2c/edit?usp=sharing

Removing the bushings is relatively easy but I would use a press to drive the bushings in. If you try driving them in by hand you take a chance of driving it in crooked and rolling the edge of the bushing which may loosen it and cause assembly problems especially the one in the pump.

What do you need a hydraulic press for to build a 2004r? Get a driver set. V notch a chisel to remove the bushings. Some can be difficult.You can get a cheep hand compressor on ebay, for the return springs. But the best for the job is always a foot operated spring compressor. No special tool is needed for installing servo unless checking clearance on pin. And still doesn't take a special tool. For the lip seals just use a feeler gauge. For setting up the rear get yourself a old yoke to keep the out put shaft in place. If you don't have a hold for a bench get someone to weld the old yoke to fly wheel or something for a cheep stand . I used a sunshell from a 4l60 and it works great.

Last edited:
From GBGN1:
What do you need a hydraulic press for to build a 2004r?

The CK Performance manual says to use a hydraulic press to remove and install the stator tube (pages 28-29).

Thank you for adding to these suggestions, GBGN1.

Paul Lohr

Harbor Freight sells a dandy press. You will find all sorts of uses once you own it.

You can see in my thread on the 'other' site how I overcame the other things.
Though an air compressor is nice, there is a guy in YouTube who just has a cylinder he uses and has refilled.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
That is true but that's the only process needed with the press. Didn't know you were going with a hardened stator . If it's in good shape and only a stocking build it is not necessary to replace.

Good point about the press, TexasT. They are useful.

That is true but that's the only process needed with the press. Didn't know you were going with a hardened stator . If it's in good shape and only a stocking build it is not necessary to replace.

No problem. Thanks for your help with this. It is helpful to know that the press is only needed in one place.

Someone sent a private message saying he preferred to use a press to install the bushings. To each his own. This is to make sure they are straight. I have had the occasional bushing go in crooked but most times they go in ok.