sorry about posting something like this

TurboIsGood!!!

sorry about posting something stupid like this, please dont flame me.. but im 20 soon to be 21, and im selling my Durango for something fast. (and yes i plan on modding it) One of my friends said to get a SRT-4, and the other said to get a GN.. Ive looked into both of these cars extensively, and i found that most great quality gn's go from 9500-12500 and the mint ones are more... Also i found out that SRT's are 20-23k new... ive read they both run the same 1/4th time.. but the GN is a second quicker to 60...

My question is... what time could i get my GN running with the 12500 i saved from not buying the SRT-4...

Sorry for such a lame post... but im trying to figure out how fast i could go... for the cheapest.. but still keep my car dependable and streetable...

any guesses/help/opinions would be greatly apreciated... thanks

- jason

With less then a thousand dollars into a 86/87 GN you would leave the SRT standing still. Dont have to get a GN......can go stealth with a turbo-t(cheaper too) or you could even get a 89 turbo trans am.....looks of a f-body and the awesome buick power plant!!!
Lots of things to think about when going with either vehicle. Insurance, driving in bad weather(front wheel drive v. rear), would you feel comforable parking a GN in a mall parking lot??, maintence and up keep of a 16 yr. old car(daily driving it), and the list goes on. I am sure your thread will be moved to the lounge were you will get even more advice.

With the 12500 you saved from not getting that GIRLY dodge neon you could have a GN that is pretty much a land missile. Question is how long you want to run it hard. If I were you I would yank the engine (depending on the quality of the car you buy) and build up the motor to be bulletproof. Then read up on the different combos available and choose one that suits how fast yhou want to go.

Pluses for the GN/T: You get a real trunk, big enought back seat to carry some friends, RWD for awsome burnouts
Minuses: most likely rust, worn out parts, some unavailible, most younger chicks don't respect it.

If you dig the Fast and Furious scene then go for the Neon. If you want RWD and potential to be way faster, go GN/T

You might want to look into insurance too. I've heard that they slam some kids pretty hard in those neons. The GN is usually pretty cheap to insure.

Also think about investment. Yeah, you're not supposed to look at a car as an investment, but lets say you buy the gn for $10k which should get you a nice one. You spend $3-4k on parts and maintenance over then next 4 years. So, now you have $14k in the car over 4 years and if you decide to sell it, you could probably get $12k out of it. The neon on the other hand is going to be worth about $8k if your lucky. So with the gn you've lost about $2k in 4 years. In the neon you've lost about $15k in 4 years.

lol thanks guys i apreciate it.. i just looked up some insure. 900 liability 6mo GN.. 2100 full neon 6mo...

ill take the gn

Originally posted by TurboIsGood!!!
lol thanks guys i apreciate it.. i just looked up some insure. 900 liability 6mo GN.. 2100 full neon 6mo...

ill take the gn

I would recommend getting more than just Liability on the GN. People like these cars, and there are a lot of them stolen due to rarity of the cars and the parts. Also if you car is damages, hard to find parts can be expensive.

David
87GN

Search around, I only pay about $500 a year for full coverage on the GN. I have another car as my main source of transportation. Go buy a geo, have that as your first car, and use the gn as the 2nd car. It can save you a fortune.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Search around, I only pay about $500 a year for full coverage on the GN. I have another car as my main source of transportation. Go buy a geo, have that as your first car, and use the gn as the 2nd car. It can save you a fortune.

It can definitely save you money. I ran a couple scenarios with my insurance company and it actually was CHEAPER for me to insure TWO CARS. My daily driver, which I only need to carry liability on, was listed as primary transportation and the GN was only listed as being occaisonally driven. I'd look into it for sure.

omg brilliant!! thank you! i currentaly have a 95 eclipse non turbo.. insurence is still 480/6 mo liabiliyre.. 80 bucks a month

Originally posted by Pronto
most younger chicks don't respect it.

Very true until you boost it up at a stop light, leave 150 feet of posi marks and laugh at their boyfriend rowing through the gears trying to catch up in a 5.0 mustang.:D

Originally posted by mygrain
Very true until you boost it up at a stop light, leave 150 feet of posi marks and laugh at their boyfriend rowing through the gears trying to catch up in a 5.0 mustang.:D
Ya, I know a few women that are very savvy to the power of a GN/T but most , especially the younger ones are just into cars for the "scene" or to be seen. Check out NOPI or as I call it dopey. Some of those girls are nice to look at but...

It took quite a few victories for my girlfriend to even want to ride around in my car. She would much rather cruise around in her 4cyl automatic cavalier, or the Jeep:rolleyes:

I own both and am torn which way to tell you to go.

I guess my biggest question for you would be: do you have the necessary time to do the mnthly / weekly repairs to the GN? If it's your only car and you drive alot, be prepared to fix the small things that go wrong with a 17 yr old car.

As far as going FAST is concerned; there is no contest. The SRT-4 is a "fun" car, not a FAST car. Making it fast gets expensive and silly since no matter what; you can't launch it for crap.

There's my $.02 Good luck.

This is a NO BRAINER in my book. Set aside the cost to go faster which itself is a no-brainer as well, IMO. You're 20, so I'll assume you're not independently wealthy.

Today: The GN costs 12k, the Neon costs 22k

Five years from now: the GN is worth 12k or more, the Neon is worth 12k and likely less.

What's in your wallet?

how about driving both?

a gn is faster, and is almost always going to be faster, hands down, not many people can argue that.

but handeling is not a gn's strong point, neither are the brakes. in a straight line a gn is about the funnest car i can think of driving, otherwise its average. not saying it cant' be made to handle with the srt, but even if it did i don't know it it would be as fun of a car, i'm talkign about all types of driving.

I wouldn't buy a neon, there are other cars out there i'd rather have for the money, tt stealth vr4 being one. wrx, the list goes on.

it really depends on what you want.

and if you can get a chick to look past the outside of the car, its pretty comfortable inside. and trust me blow the doors off a new vette and her thoughts of the car will instantly change.