Some of my favorite members aren't posting as often.

Mike T

I have only been a member here for a couple of years but right away there were several members that really stood out and I always made it a point to read their post. It seems like lately some of them aren't posting as often and the other very knowledgeable members are working extra hard to answer questions and help solve problems.

These are guys that I've become familiar with over the last couple of years so I guess some of you long time members have really seen some changes over the years.

Last edited:
I've been "around" for a while, and notice a growing list of newer members. Most likely due to older folks moving on, to pursue other interests. Myself, I'm not a "purist" when it comes to cars...Mod to my satisfaction, and help the tire companies stay in business!:smuggrin:

Chuck you are high on my list of people who stood out and I'm glad to see that your feeling better.

Chuck you are high on my list of people who stood out and I'm glad to see that your feeling better.
Thanks!:D

I'm always, [usually], willing to share what I've learned over the the last 60+ ys of hotrodding!:jawdrop:

I would imagine the avg age of a GN owner is around 50-60? (I'm 53) So the forum is always changing . I know of a lot younger TR owners that are not on this forum or if they are they just lurk. And of course not as experienced as some of the older owners that have had their car a long time.

I've had my GN since 1996 and have learned a lot over the years but I am not the smartest guy in the world, if I know I'll post up if I don't or not sure I won't. And I think a lot of guys don't post up because they are not sure and don't want to post up bad info. just my .02

As with everything people's interests change, and they move on to other things. Some pass on, some just loose interest, some get their feelings hurt, get married, have kids . Life just changes.
Like Chuck I'm a car guy, really anything mechanical, and I'm steady working on something, or attending youth events my kids particpate in. Then there is work to finance the activities.
I encourage the op and really anyone who has questions to post em up. There is a pretty wide base of knowledge on this board.

I could agree with most of the posts. im 31 and have been around cars for most of it because of my uncle. Im new to the turbo buick world. and glad I joined loving my car right now. my fun slowed down a little bit since getting married and now I have an 8 month old, plus work takes up a lot of my time. i like to read the posts and gains some knowledge as i don't have much of my own to share, lol. keepem coming boys.. thanks for the great advice and tips love this site

Sometimes life and family take up time and this is just a hobby. This forum has a pretty good balance and if you really want a fun time go to a Buick race, good time and not just TR owners either. I am planning my trip to Norwalk as long as work doesn't get in the way:rolleyes:

Newer members trying to drive up prices of everything and talking down to people is part of it. I'm tired of throwing money at my car and just trying to enjoynit for a while. Would like to put some nos quality weatherstripping, new window regulators, and other odds and ends but its never gonna be as good as the purist that thinks his no mile car is worth 40k so fuck it I drive it.

Been starting side projects also that have been taking up time. Started on a 455 regal project that is tedious. Trying to get my house finished over the next few years, and concentrating on more time with the family and doing more family oriented activities. More to life than cars. Theyre both there. I own them. They aren't going anywhere. They can wait til I'm ready.

I think it is a natural progression for someone to be all gung ho over something that they feel passionate about. Only to burn them selves out and step away. The thing that I've noticed about these cars, is that many of those die hards that put it on a shelf, have returned. I am one of these. I was an avid drag racer and hot rod nut in the 70s and 80s. Had to put it on a shelf for The US ARMY, family, and starting a business. Only to return and be won over by these crazy Turbo Buicks. Many years later, I'm happy to say that I'm still challenged and having blast.

I feel that even today, bang for the buck, you can't match what these cars have to offer. This in it self, will forever make these quarter mile freaks very desirable and have a passionate following.

I've been around these cars for almost 20 years; since the mid-late 90's. I started on the gnttype.org mailing list and IRC. There have been many people who have come and gone. Some may even be around lurking, some moved on to other interests or sadly passed away. Some that stand out to me were Jim Testa, Dan Mcann and Chris (RadarLove).

My interest in TR's waned for a couple years but I came back. This board is a great resource and I appreciate all the knowledgeable members here and hope they stick around!

Agree with what has been said a lot of people move on and do other things. I know there are a lot of GN owners but not necessarily a Buick diehard owner so those do come and go. Me... I'm a Buick nut. I have been driving them for about 35 years now and I'll never sell my GN period! So I'm not going anywhere. I don't know if that is bad or good though? lol :)

I haven't done anything exciting with my GN in over a year, so not much new to share.

Wow, old post. I think it's still relevant, though. I have an on-again, off-again relationship with the GN. I've parked it for a couple years now and then. I will never sell it. I finally bought a new car for the wife so my spare time isn't spent fixing her car, or one of the other cars. I parked my GN a couple years ago since I needed to do the timing chain, seals, gaskets and valve springs (again). Plus I pulled the trans out since it wasn't shifting right. I decided I wasn't gonna drive it again until I got those things redone. No need to gamble on a 100k nylon timing sprocket. Been there done that before on an old Chevelle and it really makes a mess. Finally getting around to blueprinting the oil pump and doing Earl's mods. I did the rear main seal a couple weekends ago but I don't like the looks of the gaps on either side of the main cap so I'm gonna pull it out do it again. My goal is to have it back on the road this summer. I retired but I'm still working 30 hrs a week so it will definitely take that long. By the end of the summer it'll be back on the road and ready for the track, I hope.

im in the on a shelf phase......car made it out once in the last year......
Same here, been busy with other things in life. Getting back in to doing stuff on the car now so I can have it out for the show we have down here every June. As to the original question from this thread; there a lot who have moved over to facebook instead.

Agreed. I just signed up with the Facebook group this spring. There seems to be a lot more traffic there, even though I'm not an FB fan. I resisted getting and account for many years. It can turn into a real time-waster if you don't have a lot of self control. I find myself looking at shit that I would never search for. Youtube is the same way.....

Agreed. I just signed up with the Facebook group this spring. There seems to be a lot more traffic there, even though I'm not an FB fan. I resisted getting and account for many years. It can turn into a real time-waster if you don't have a lot of self control. I find myself looking at shit that I would never search for. Youtube is the same way.....
Quantity does not equal quality.