SOFT TOP REMOVAL ?

mike.ss

i have a 84 regal limited can it has the soft top on the back quarter of the roof
i am wondering if anyone has removed this and what they got into,or can tell me what i may need to get this done

To remove the soft top completely (aka: never installing again) there are a few steps.

1. Remove trim: Trim is held on with plastic clips and will break most likely. They attatch to little spot welded pegs.

2. Remove 1/4 windows: Remove inner panel trim to access the nuts that hold the glass in place. The glass is a bitch to remove in the cold due the the butyl. Sit the car out in the sun on a warm day, or possibly warm with a hair dryer of heat gun on the LOWEST setting! Obviously this will make the butyl soft. PSA: You will need glass from a NON-landau top car. They are different.

Warning: Wear gloves and clothes you don't care about. The butyl gets everywhere and is an absolute bear to clean up.

3. Remove the lower trim piece/sheet metal from the bottom of rear glass. This is also wrapped in the top material and will also need to be replaced with non-landau parts. Also get the rear glass trim from the same car. Along the sides and top of the rear glass there are plastic reinforcments that clip onto the little pegs welded to the roof . I have never been able to remove them without breaking them.

4. Finally, Remove the top. Yeah, have fun with this. I've always just used brute strength lol! Maybe on of the pros have a better way.

Anyways, hopefully others will chime in with suggestions and ideas on how to do the finish body work. GM did'nt finish the seam where the 1/4 and the roof meet. Also you'll need to get rid of the pegs. Hope this helps.

can u elaborate on the quarter windows ? how are they different?
or maybe someone can post some pic's

glass is to big or the trim around the glass
if it is the trim cani just change that?