Should I run synthetic or just plain old dinosaur oil?

Well then, why do new cars say "you must use so and so weight oil" or the warranty will be void? If these numbers are only really pertinent at zero, and two hundred and something, then why is there 28 different weights of oils? It must matter. Im very sure all these cold and hot weights arent just gimmicks. So using a 0w30 in a car designed for 20w50, or using 20w50 in a car designed for 5w30 is perfectly ok then?

Well then, why do new cars say "you must use so and so weight oil" or the warranty will be void? If these numbers are only really pertinent at zero, and two hundred and something, then why is there 28 different weights of oils? It must matter. Im very sure all these cold and hot weights arent just gimmicks. So using a 0w30 in a car designed for 20w50, or using 20w50 in a car designed for 5w30 is perfectly ok then?

No. But whether you put a 0w30 or a 10w30 in a car the hot pressure will be the same. The only difference between the two will be the cold pressure. Now a 10w30 and a 10w40 will be the same viscosity cold and the 10w30 will be thinner than the 10w40 when they are hot. None of them are going to give you the flow you need to run your engine hard when cold though. No matter what you're going to need it to warm up for the oil to behave properly in the engine.

Bite your tongue. I worked as a lubrication technician for 4 years with factory manufacturing equipment. You are WRONG. The W in 10W-30 stands for winter in which it is the viscosity of the oil in winter cold.:rolleyes:

Yes the roller is still for sale.:D

it does stand for winter but i believe the actual measurement of viscosity for the w rating is done at 0 degrees..................RC

I have tried this with an old car I had. I ran the recommended 10w-30 in the winter and then changed it with 20w50. The car tapped like crazy in the winter with the 20w50 (too thick) and until the oil got warmed up did the tapping go away. Thats just concrete proof. Yes I tried this on an old vehicle for stihs and giggles.:biggrin:

However, I run amsoil in all my other cars and will probably continue to do so with the proper amsoil that has good levels of zinc and phosphorus.

0w-30 is thinner in cold temperatures than 10w-30. Confused? Please don't tell me some of you guys didn't know the W standed for winter.

The 0w thing was throwing me off.. I was not aware there is a 0w. I kept thinking you were talking straight 30. When you said 0w-30 is thinner in cold than 10w-30, it threw me for a loop. After consulting with the Dr, I have a better understanding. ;)

Yes, but in order for the oil to function properly, you must drive in the salt. The salt activates the oils ability to flow.
That would be for the "winter". For the hot op temp you have to drive in sand right? :D

I run regular Vavoline 10W30. I change my oil very frequently (once a month), so Synthetic oil would be a huge waste of money if I had to spend for that every month.

i run the same type of oil, and i change mine after every other race event or 500 miles of street driving..

No. But whether you put a 0w30 or a 10w30 in a car the hot pressure will be the same. The only difference between the two will be the cold pressure. Now a 10w30 and a 10w40 will be the same viscosity cold and the 10w30 will be thinner than the 10w40 when they are hot. None of them are going to give you the flow you need to run your engine hard when cold though. No matter what you're going to need it to warm up for the oil to behave properly in the engine.

I understand the cold thickness, but what about an engine thats designed for 30 weight when hot, and you throw 50 weight in there. My question was, while all warmed up and goin, does this throw anything off at all? doesnt the 50 weight flow slower? Especially with everyones car thats changed over to a 160 t stat, and aluminum radiators with dual fans? If buick is known for their tight tolerances, and from the factory, their engines were runnin about 200 degrees operating temperatures, wouldnt throwing a heavier weight oil in a car that is now running 20 degrees cooler mess anything up? Is the oil flowing like it should be? is anything getting starved at all? Im just curious.

A 15-40 like Delo or any 5-40 which are synthetics, or a 10-40 dino oil, no oils with the starburst symbol on them, that would be your 5-20,5-30, and 10-30 oils. You could also run a racing oil like Valvoline which has plenty of good stuff in it for our cars.

Ron

Also the W in oils like your 10w30 does not mean weight, it stands for winter.
just for your fyi and another 2 cents worth.

Ron

So all the reduced zinc/phos oils have the starburst symbol on them correct?

has anyone noticed that 10w40 does not have the starburst symbol on it?

is it because most newer cars use 5w30 or 10w30?