Shock Suggestions?

GNAT87

What is the best shock for me? Im wanting something that handles good on the street and is comfortable, but I need something that hooks! Should I go adjustables? If I do need to im thinking single not double adjustable to try and keep it as simple as possible.

Id like some feedback from the guys that have ran these shocks...

QA1 (stocker star?)

Bilstein

VariShocks

Or any others you have had success with that would be suitable for my needs. Looking for the best of both worlds.

I did search this on multiple forums, but didnt really find what im looking for

Thanks alot!:cool:

I have no first hand experience with any of the shocks you mentioned on TRs but the Bilsteins are supposed to be very good, as well as the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks which are typically at least $100 less per set of 4 than the Bilsteins. I need to replace the shocks on my Buick too, and I've been kicking it around between these two choices for a while. Either one would be better than the air shocks the previous owner installed to compensate for sagging rear springs and the front shocks which I believe may be original to the car. I plan to install all new shocks, springs, rear air bags, and possibly tubular lower rear control arms and larger sway bar at once so whenever I pull the trigger on this I'm sure I'm in for a huge change.:eek: :cool:

I'm in the same boat as you and before I go to the track I'm wanting to make some changes. Everything is stock on my car when it comes to suspension. I'm thinking QA1 adjustables and An HR package that includes the bar, uppers, and lowers. I'm also in for a big change:biggrin:

First you need to decide what purpose your car will used for and shop accordingly. You will get alot of answers for this, opinions you know. I personally have had KYB's on 2 Buicks and love them. But i agree that you cant go wrong with Bilstein. I called a vendor and asked about the QA1's and he actually turned my away from them. He said for a daily driver and seldom raced car that they would be uncomfortable. He actually used them and didnt like them for that reason. he suggested staying with the ones i liked.

First you need to decide what purpose your car will used for and shop accordingly. You will get alot of answers for this, opinions you know. I personally have had KYB's on 2 Buicks and love them. But i agree that you cant go wrong with Bilstein. I called a vendor and asked about the QA1's and he actually turned my away from them. He said for a daily driver and seldom raced car that they would be uncomfortable. He actually used them and didnt like them for that reason. he suggested staying with the ones i liked.

That's part of the reason I'm thinking of sticking with KYBs or Bilsteins. At one time I thought my car would end up going to the track a lot but more and more lately I just want to enjoy it on the street and at car shows. I'm not in a position right now to handle costly repairs if I were to break something at the track. For the same reason, I'm thinking of getting rid of my 5" wide Weld Draglites in the front and getting a new pair in stock size, or even getting rid of all my Draglites to get some GNX/GTA style wheels. I just think the car would be more fun on the street that way. I didn't realize this back when I bought the wheels.

I really like my KYB's. They are stiff but it handles so nicely with them. Now i have an ATR rear sway bar and tubular rear control arms in the back and the front has Moog springs and an F body 34mm hollow sway bar to help with the handling. But together i handles excellent, better than i could have imagined with so little money and mods.

I really like my KYB's. They are stiff but it handles so nicely with them. Now i have an ATR rear sway bar and tubular rear control arms in the back and the front has Moog springs and an F body 34mm hollow sway bar to help with the handling. But together i handles excellent, better than i could have imagined with so little money and mods.

Thanks for the input! Good to hear from someone who actually has the KYBs. It's sounding like these suspension mods are probably going to give me the most satisfaction for the money.:cool:

KYB'S here also on all four corners, definitely stiffens up the car, I have no complaints with them on the street.

I ordered some KYB Gas a just shocks for my regal today. I've heard nothing but good things about them and they aren't overly pricey.

I ordered some KYB Gas a just shocks for my regal today. I've heard nothing but good things about them and they aren't overly pricey.

I installed a set of Gas A Just's and a set of H rated tires from Walmart that were closeouts for $200 a set,and it made a BIG difference in the handling!!!

What kind of 60' times are yall getting with these KYB's. That what im really worried about. I want the weight transfer right.