service soon light not working

baller760

1986 grand national check engine light (or service soon) light not working
used volt meter no power changed bulb changed connector help cant smog
in california:eek::

I'm going to assume you're on an analog dash. As far as I know my digital (and everyone elses too?) SES is non-existent, but you are still able to make one!

A) Check your gauge fuse, that's what it's supposed to run off of. Probably not busted since you haven't complained of anything else not working, but always worth the 5 seconds to check. There is a Pink w/ Black wire that runs from that fuse to the bulb in the dash. In all honesty, I think there are a few pink/blacks that run from there, or one that splits into quite a few.

B) ALCL Pin D (Brown w/ White wire) should also be running there, but I don't believe it will affect you if it does not.

C) ECM Pin A5 (Brown w/ White wire) should run and intersect the other brown/white wire before or at the light.

D) If all that is good (and easy enough to check), you may just need to take the cluster out and replace the bulb. This might actually be a good first step, since it will make all the wires much much easier to trace down.

Good luck!

All of the Regals have an SES light. It's part of the telltale cluster, doesn't have anything to do with whether the car has a digital - or analog - dash.

The indicator is separate of the flex board lamps, has its own pigtail socket. You need to find that lamp, and check to see if the pink/black wire on its connector has power when the key is on. The brown/white wire feeds the lamp a ground to illuminate it.

It is VERY common for the bulbs to fail, not because they actually burn out, but instead, stop working because the wire pins on the bulbs corrode, along with the bare brass terminal in its socket.

I have repaired dash clusters where every bulb has stopped working, where the fix is to replace the twist-lock socket AND the bulb. But I have rarely found a burned out bulb. It's almost always corrosion that sets in, causing a bad connection. Bad design, without a doubt.

All of the Regals have an SES light. It's part of the telltale cluster, doesn't have anything to do with whether the car has a digital - or analog - dash

Sorry I didn't make it more clear. When I took my cluster out, the socket was empty, and there was no loose bulb hanging around anywhere. I think maybe a PO got tired of it! :D