scanmaster mph reading

AlaskaGN

my scanmaster mph reading about half of what my speedo is. What is causing this? Is it hurting my performance or driveability any?

I would go directly to full throttle speed forums page & ask Bob since he invented the thing. Lots of other great info there as well.

Does/Did the car have a 145mph speedometer?
The MPH indicator accuracy is pretty important as it is used to calculate load variable/fueling.

no it came with an 85 mph gauge and I put a 145 mph plate on it years ago. never did anything with sensors or anything. thanks for your help everyone. Ill check out the full throttle link.

JERRYL....Are you saying that if you disconnect the speedo cable it will affect fueling..??????????....VSS

OK ,then i have another question ,I purchased a GN made in the usa 7 years ago and put in a used speedo cluster that was in kilometers ,I am in canada..it had a hole for a vss and i bolted it in..how would i know if vss is working or not????

Mike, no I didnt put a speed reducer on the trans. If that is the problem where could I find one and how much $ ?. WOuld the speed reducer make the SM read higher or the speedo slow down? the speedo seems real close to the actual speed the car is going, and the sm a lot less.

The reducer slows down the speedometer to match the 145 speedometer overlay, the scanmaster/ecm reads the actual slower speed thats being reported to the VSS. If you run a lockup converter it will delay the converter lock up until the VSS sees 45 mph or whatever your chip is programmed to lock up at.

JERRYL....Are you saying that if you disconnect the speedo cable it will affect fueling..??????????....VSS
I think you got the answer in the other reply. :)

AlaskaGN,
If you don't have a TT chip, get one burned to ignore the speedo input, or, "just fix it". :)