Running Lean under boost

On the directions from TT it says mid boost 0-15 psi shoot for around 12 AF is 12 really ok?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Normally the 0-15psi boost area is during spoolup, in which case an AFR of 12 is fine. If for some reason you are running your max boost below 15psi, then I would target around 11.0-11.5 as a starting point and tune from there.

On the directions from TT it says mid boost 0-15 psi shoot for around 12 AF is 12 really ok?
Hi Smirf,
Not trying to be an ass or come across as a know it all but want to share some first hand experiences from the school of hard knocks in the hope to assist you with the issues. :)

I have worked on quite a few cars that ran like s***, and installed TTchips in every single one. There was an immediate change in the way these cars ran, every time, out of the box. I have witnessed chips on 2 cars that were just put in to start and sell the car as well.
Hopefully, that is not the case with your car?

See, When we purchase a chip for these cars, we purchase 1% hardware, and 99% knowledge. Eric is top notch in both technical knowledge and service, and quality is second to none, period. What this implies is if the chip was delivered AND he was given all the correct parameters, the chip will be very close out of the box and the car will run.

Eric is a GREAT guy and vendor, which is evident through his attempt to assist although you did not purchase the chip from him . . . . . I would suggest you stop and post the info from the chip as Eric requested, than verify the chip with the parts that are actually on the car. Not what you were told/sold, but what has been confirmed. There is just no way around it when the car has issues. If you are unable to do that, see if someone in your area can assist. :confused:

The SD chip is however not really meant for a beginner but for the tuner, who has application knowledge. Application knowledge is key, which is why most spend years and countless hours reading, searching and trying things out. IMO, a better option when tuning knowledge is lacking is a MAF controlled chip and believe at this point you will be much happier investing in such a chip/set-up. :cool:

Lastly . . . . There is no way to tune around a problem with these cars, none. It is the attention to greater detail (required for these sleds) that make them run like they do. I wish you the best as my first hand experience knows how frustrating it is/can be. :)

Eric Stage I, get back to focus on developing parts for our junk! :eek: :cool: :p :D

Last edited:
I appreciate the advise and know I'm behind the learning curve. I don't plant on racing the car just cruising it and boosting to the speed limit kkhhhmm.

I turned the boost down because even at 15 psi it's so damn fast due to the tall gear 5.29 big turbo and the car only weighs 2700 pounds. The rear end starts to kick out at 6500 rpm I did replace the WB today and sure enough it's rich. Very rich bottoms out at 10 but leans out longer it's under boost. If 12 is ok them I think I should get that plug and play chip.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1407988199.894852.jpg

Here's a video of one of the first test drives fresh of the trailer after a long 15 hr trip home.

Nice ride.
Try post 61-62 in the link. Not all of it will apply, but it will give you a great idea how the system works.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/index.php?threads/33080/
Basic Hotair Info!

Based on the great video, you may be past a MAF controlled chip on that setup, don't know. Find someone knowledgeable in your area, or one of the vendors to discuss options and assist.

Thank you all for sharing and trying to teach me! Jerry that thread has tons of info thank you. #15 is interesting because it seems the car does lean out after 255 it's almost like the injectors shut off right when I hit boost and 10 AF then burns off.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1415414092.329926.jpg

I assume that's the chip. Stupid question what the trick to get it out and not break it?

Just grab the tabs and slowly lift it out. If you need any help jut give me a shout.

You are awesome I'm sitting here at my work bench waiting for someone to respond thanks for responding so fast

Normally the 0-15psi boost area is during spoolup, in which case an AFR of 12 is fine. If for some reason you are running your max boost below 15psi, then I would target around 11.0-11.5 as a starting point and tune from there.

Eric here are the numbers under the chip you asked for. Sorry took so long I appreciate any help you can give
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1415414503.063307.jpg

This is an older SD chip and I'm having fuel issues. Way too rich at cruise then lean under boost.

Let me try and upload some logs from today. Problem is the logs are only close to WOT for 4 sec or so then I'm going over 90 mph I think and I have to let off.

Here are the instructions for that chip: http://www.turbotweak.com/turbotweaksds.pdf

You can try to tune it in using the parameters, but I'm not sure how well it will run with a setup like yours (5.29 gear, 2700 lbs), since it's designed around a typical turbo Buick (stock gears and weight).

Try to get a log and maybe we can help improve it.

thanks for the help eric. this file should have a hit that shows the AFR lean out on boost. thanks again

Attachments

• long ride to work lunch wot.dat
    478.6 KB · Views: 69
this is another from the same day if these arent enough to show anything how long and what needs to be on he log? The EGT seems way too high hats why even at 15psi Im concerned about the AFR heating up the motor or Im dumb and its ok :)

Attachments

• long ride back from lunch 11-7.dat
    274.8 KB · Views: 52
Yes, it looks like you need to increase WOT fuel and decrease idle fuel.
I would also decrease param 14 (the mid fuel to wot fuel threshold) to 150 since your boost is on the low side.