Running Lean under boost

Swisher Smirf

Hi all need some help. Just had a motor and trans installed at sea level. Got it home 7000 ft in CO and it's running lean under a small amount of boost 15psi. You would think with less oxygen up here it would run fat. I just need advice on what indicator to change 1st. The power logger says the Mid boost is for up to 13-15 psi well I start to lean out at 10. I can't upload the log but here are some pictures. Oh and the car is damn fast it's been a challenge getting WOT logs should I drop the boost down so I can get WOT readings before changing anything on the logger?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1407266458.647551.jpg

Can't really read the pictures. Also, I am a little confused when you say "The power logger says the Mid boost is for up to 13-15 psi well I start to lean out at 10." The powerlogger just reads what is going on, changing setting on it won't effect the way your car is performing, only the way it displays the data. Post your logs when you get a chance.

Mid boost I'm referring to the directions where it says parameter 14 mid/WOT boost threshold it dictates at what boost level fueling switches from mid AF to WOT AF so what I was wondering if I stop at 16psi is it confused as to what AF target to hunt for. Tonight I'm going to try a WOT hit on less boost. Hey Chuck do you mean what do the plugs look like? A week old and black smell like gas I have them at a .30 gap does the PL give data on the plugs?

Are you running a Turbo Tweak Wide Band chip and referring to the chip features that allow you to make adjustments? Also, please post your build in your signature so we can get an idea of what you have.

Yes running TT with WB- Im new to the tuning but have not touched anything. Here are 2 logs and Ill get the build on here thanks for the help guys

Attachments

• 5500 WOT.dat
    112.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 5500 WOT 2.dat
    92.1 KB · Views: 65
Just took a glance at the first log. What is your TPS voltage at idle? It appears from the log that it is 0.50 volts. Also what fuel are you running?

It is at .50 at idle. Idle should be .40-.44 and 4.2-4.8 on WOT. What's the danger of being at .50?

Also the o2v is only at 0.462 at WOT TPS 4.54v should be around .780-.800 the Manuel says. Bad O2 sensor?

Depends on the chip but best case idle will likely be poor with the TPS voltage too high. Start by getting the TPS and IAC set correctly. Your cruising AFRs are very rich for gasoline. Your plug picture confirms this. Lets get the basic stuff hammered out first and then you can worry about WOT testing.

Also, verify the fuel pressure at idle is what the chip manufacturer recommends.

Last edited:
Before I mess with the volts could it be set high that way to help with idle due to the cam? I don't know the specs but it was set up for repeated 7k shifts. Trans also. I'm driving it on the street w pump gas and low boost 15# ?

First we need to figure out exactly what chip is in there. It looks like one of my older SD chips. Get the numbers off the chip and I can look it up.

Also need to know what wideband you have, so we can look at your files correctly.

Setting the TPS voltage outside of range isn't going to help your idle. The idle is set by the chip and controlled by the IAC. If the TPS voltage is wrong the ECM may think you are not trying to idle and fueling can be messed up. Eric is right, lets get the hardware figured out.

Close up, and in focus pics of the plugs, is a necessity..
As the other guys are saying.. get it set up correctly. Then a fresh set of plugs, some data logs, and tuning will get a lot easier.:smuggrin:

Ok I'll get a pic of the plugs again today. Where do I look to see what chip I have? I'm sure it is older and I don't know what WB is all that on my laptop info?