Rookie gn owner

Len8827

I just bought my first 1987 buick grand national
I wanted to know if there was a standard upgrade setup for a stock 87 stock grand national? I am looking to increase the power by at least 200-250 hp.I want to be in the 450-500 range. I don't know much about Turbos, intercoolers, wastegates.blowoff valves, injectors, msds, down pipes. Is there where that I can read about it. I had a mustang, and I found step by step instructions on how to increase the power. I don't want to spend a lot of money and get nothing. I need to know what turbo {how to set it up} what intercooler, wastegate, blowoff for that turbo. I want to run as much boost as possible. with a regulator so I can turn it down for daily driving. I want to give all the car on the road a run for there money. PLEASE help me if you can. Thanks .

First thing to do is go to gnttype.org and read all the technical information there. Some of it is dated but still pertinant. There is no single "magic" part, but rather a combination of parts, and it's this combination that is all important. There is a search feature on this site. Use it before you ask the same question thats already been posed 100 times. You need to establish a goal, and understand that in order to achieve it the goal needs to be realistic. A few on the boards here have very quick cars, but I doubt they see many trips to the grocery store. Others want a regularly driven street car, and I doubt many of those run in the 10 second range. You don't get it both ways (usually). It's possible to spend thousands of dollars for the good stuff (heads, rotating assembly, big turbo, big injectors, high stall torque convertor, intercoolers, and the list goes on). What is your budget? What kind of shape is your car in? Any mods already in place? Any time slips yet?

I just bought my first 1987 buick grand national
I wanted to know if there was a standard upgrade setup for a stock 87 stock grand national? I am looking to increase the power by at least 200-250 hp.I want to be in the 450-500 range. I don't know much about Turbos, intercoolers, wastegates.blowoff valves, injectors, msds, down pipes. Is there where that I can read about it. I had a mustang, and I found step by step instructions on how to increase the power. I don't want to spend a lot of money and get nothing. I need to know what turbo {how to set it up} what intercooler, wastegate, blowoff for that turbo. I want to run as much boost as possible. with a regulator so I can turn it down for daily driving. I want to give all the car on the road a run for there money. PLEASE help me if you can. Thanks .

You need to find a smart turbo buick buddy!
Get a http://alkycontrol.com/ methanol kit and leave the tune the same all year round.

BW

You need to do nothing! YET...

You need to first read and determine what you have first. What mods that have already been done and then where you want to go from there without just buying stuff.

If you don't have a Scanmaster then that should be your first and only purchase before reading and determining what you currently have.

You'll need to make a decision for youself as you will get a multitude of opinions from everyone. I've been on this board for over 8 years now and just by reading other threads and using the search button you'll be able to research and determine for yourself which members information to accept and which to disregard.