rim choices, and adapters

87owner

with the use of adapters like these, www.wheeladapters.com
rather than spacers, can't almost any rim and backspacing work? I am sure these things are not cheap. But a buddy of mine runs a pair of similar adapters made by H&R on his 99 cobra with no problems. Accoding to the pics, they make them as thick as you may need. So does anyone know of a problem with using like a ZR-1 reproduction rim (17X9.5) and like a 3 inch or so adapter adapter. They say they make them custom so I guess I would mesure and get the rim centered exactly how I want it, but 3 as a ball park. just a thought

how tight is the 9.5 inch rim out back. I was thinking of trying to get a custom adapter size made and maybe jamming the ridiculous 17 X 11 with a 315 on it back there. It measures 12.4 inches. I know some bigger slicks are about that. I still have to go take some measurements, but I'm thinking of trying it. But even with some fender lip roling, and some frame work, I'm not sure if its even possible.

ok did some searches and it should work with the frame notches. Do you guys know if it will require a plasma cutter or can I get away with cut-off wheels and saws. I know a couple of ppl have done it already for their fatty slicks. But very few pictures. Anyone have any more?

Originally posted by 87owner
ok did some searches and it should work with the frame notches. Do you guys know if it will require a plasma cutter or can I get away with cut-off wheels and saws. I know a couple of ppl have done it already for their fatty slicks. But very few pictures. Anyone have any more?

Ive done this job , all by myself. A cut off wheel and saw isnt going to cut it. If you dont have a plasma cutter plan of putting in some major time in it. I rented a portable plasma cutter which helped a whole bunch. But there was still some grinding, trimming ect...Ill never do it again I tell you that. Funny you mention putting in the big wheels out back.Ive been thinking about chrome ZO6s all the way around on my T Type.

I've always wanted to put the chrome ZR1 wheels on mine, with the 17x11 out back, with drag radials of course. Bruce, we need some pics!!! I was going to frame notch my car anyway, I think it would look sick on some ZR1 wheels.

some of these ZR-1 rims come with the black powdercoated centers. The blacked out (GNX style) thing with only the trim ring polished added to the look will be over the top. Now just wondering how to get a 9.5 on the front. Dont know if I can get the reproduction rim in black any smaller than that. I think I will just start notching my car soon, and worry about rims later. Keep working till I have like 2 inches of clearance next to my 255's