Riddle me this Sound

mrg7243

So here is the thing just got the IC cleaned out befor taking her out for a real hard run after 2 yrs of sitting. So I jump her and starts right up. I let it idle for a good 10 minutes let the batt charge. Taking down the road all easy came around the corner gave it some gas and pop car died. Pull over buddy runs back to the house and gets his truck and we jump in on the side of the road. Starts right up no issues. Baby back home let it idle for longer really get the batt charged.

Take it back out and she did great. Except for 1 minor issue. At WOT in any gear the car pops and stutters like it is hitting a boost, fuel, or timeing cut and wont upshift. The car has fresh plugs and wires that are stock in nature. The car is bone stock besides a cone filter and a 86 turbo chip.

I'm not the guy to answer these questions.

I'm not qualified enough and I know enough to know it.

I'd still put a fresh tank of 91 (minimum) in it.

Gas is definitely a good place to start...gas loses octane over time...you are probably detonating it so hard that it is pulling so much timing it's having a hard time making rpm, which will make it seem like it won't shift simply because it's having a hard time getting up to the proper shift rpm.

If you continue you will hurt a headgasket or the motor itself.

Over boost ? Is the "Y" hose under the turbo in good condition? And what is a 86 turbo chip? One of the old thrasher or pitbull chips?

Gas is definitely a good place to start...gas loses octane over time...you are probably detonating it so hard that it is pulling so much timing it's having a hard time making rpm, which will make it seem like it won't shift simply because it's having a hard time getting up to the proper shift rpm.

If you continue you will hurt a headgasket or the motor itself.

Kinda what I was thinking that it was pulling timing but not sure its weird to me (I come from the import world)

Agree, burn up the gas or drain and put in new. Any codes!

Gonna drain it soon, save the gas for the lawn mowers and stuff. No codes nor CEL flash at all

Over boost ? Is the "Y" hose under the turbo in good condition? And what is a 86 turbo chip? One of the old thrasher or pitbull chips?

Seemed to be when I checked it doing the IC. I may pull it off and give it a thourugh test. I was tired when I wrote that, it is a 86 GN smog version chip. Not an 87 like the car is.

I may try to get a Ttweak chip soon.

So here is the thing just got the IC cleaned out befor taking her out for a real hard run after 2 yrs of sitting. So I jump her and starts right up. I let it idle for a good 10 minutes let the batt charge. Taking down the road all easy came around the corner gave it some gas and pop car died. Pull over buddy runs back to the house and gets his truck and we jump in on the side of the road. Starts right up no issues. Baby back home let it idle for longer really get the batt charged.

Take it back out and she did great. Except for 1 minor issue. At WOT in any gear the car pops and stutters like it is hitting a boost, fuel, or timeing cut and wont upshift. The car has fresh plugs and wires that are stock in nature. The car is bone stock besides a cone filter and a 86 turbo chip.

Make sure the cam sensor cap is in good shape and set correctly. Check vacuum hoses from waste gate solenoid to waste gate actuator and compressor housing, may be over boosting at wot. Do you have a good boost gauge?

Bet it has knock. Get new fuel. Chip for your combo. And go through the fuel system. New fuel filter. Ect. You also need to verify fuel pressure is rising with your boost. 1 to 1.

Well I just got back from school and may have figured out the issue. Was poking around under the hood and gave a tug on the turbo related vacuum lines and saw a small crack coming from the turbo nipple. I have start to replace all of the small rubber lines. Hopefully getting her back to running all new again.

I would take the battery to the nearest auto parts store and have them test and charge it or buy a new one if it's bad.

Letting the car idle for a short time is not going to charge the battery.

Before driving the car anymore and trying to get into boost and possibly hurt the engine.

I would take the battery to the nearest auto parts store and have them test and charge it or buy a new one if it's bad.

Letting the car idle for a short time is not going to charge the battery.

Before driving the car anymore and trying to get into boost and possibly hurt the engine.

New battery is going in this weekend.

I am putting fresh gas in tonight currently siphoning out the old gas right now

It could very well be the coil pack as well.

Plugs gapped right and the proper ones for the car?

MAF good?

Scantool in use?

Well I ended up getting a new battery as the other wasnt able to hold a charge. Put a fresh tank of gas in. Lets just say WOW. The noise is gone/was gone before the fresh gas. I think it was a ignition cut due to overboosting as its all gone now. It happened a little bit durning a burnout but not during full throttle shifts or anywhere else.