Revision E Extender Chip

spoolin86

The instructions for my Extender say that climate control equipped cars will need a switch connected to the ECM since they don't have an AC on switch. What wire am I supposed to connect to the switch?

Most likely the light blue wire B8 terminal for the A/C On input to the ECM. With the automatic A/C there is no manual way to toggle the input.

A switch wired to +12 on one side and tapped into that line should work as a manual control.

Not sure if you have to open the existing line to the A/C control head output while you are doing it, but I doubt it.

TurboBob can help you out better I'm sure.

Originally posted by spoolin86
The instructions for my Extender say that climate control equipped cars will need a switch connected to the ECM since they don't have an AC on switch. What wire am I supposed to connect to the switch?

Umm, I'd say that might be in error, since I have a climate controlled 86 and did a good bit of testing on the rev E Extenders. Worked just fine in mine!!

Here's the secret. set your temp fairly low, like say, 70. Then, to comman A/C, all you have to do is press the Auto button. That turns A/C on. At least on mine anyway. Try that before you hack up any wires.

TurboDave - You are correct, it works fine without a switch. That's what I get for reading the instructions.

Oops,

I stuck that in the instructions at the last moment, a friend mentioned that the climate control cars wouldn't work right.

I had forgotten that T-Dave has the Climate Control.

Well, I guess I will be updating the instructions......

Thanks Guys!

Bob

I dunno.

I could never get it to work without a switch.

Last time I tried it , it was about 45 outside and it wouldnt call for ac request when I put it on max.

That was a while ago, now I have the heater box out and need a switch anyhow.

3 years ago or so, a customer of mine, Gary Harris, reported the same problem and installed the switch and it worked as planned.

Dave, try it again when it is colder and report back. Maybe Gary and I were low on ac pressure or something.

Steve

Originally posted by Steve Y
Dave, try it again when it is colder and report back. Maybe Gary and I were low on ac pressure or something.
Steve

That's odd in so far as the A/C is supposed to be able to work in the coldest of weather when the heater is in the defrost mode.

Originally posted by Steve Y
I dunno.

I could never get it to work without a switch.

Last time I tried it , it was about 45 outside and it wouldnt call for ac request when I put it on max.

That was a while ago, now I have the heater box out and need a switch anyhow.

3 years ago or so, a customer of mine, Gary Harris, reported the same problem and installed the switch and it worked as planned.

Steve

Ya, guess I'll have to wait for the snow to fly :(

1 of the wires in the AC pressure switch plug goes to AC request, so if you don't want to splice a wire you can just jam a wire in that plug with 12v applied to it. Should do the trick.
If you forget which of the 2 wires to use like I did, if one wire doesn't work use the other one.

With a slide lever system that is low on pressure you need to have people unplug the compressor wires first, then put a jumper wire in the pressure switch plug.

Steve

I'm glad this has been discussed, as my Rev. E. just showed up and I was wondering the same thing.

Dave, are you still running the MSD 50s? If so, which chip did you get? I borrowed a friends 21/23* / 85/80 WGDC chip (YL54C I think??)and have been running that for a few weeks now, but decided to go a step further for myself and elected to go with a SL66C.

Originally posted by Dean

Dave, are you still running the MSD 50s? If so, which chip did you get? I borrowed a friends 21/23* / 85/80 WGDC chip (YL54C I think??)and have been running that for a few weeks now, but decided to go a step further for myself and elected to go with a SL66C.

Yes, I'm still running the MSD50's, they're TOO MUCH FUN!
I am running the BWL57B1E It's the 98 octane variety, but I keep the timing pulled back in the Trans + for street use.

I run moderately lean, and toward the "edge", my O2's are down in the 760 range, and EGT's peak out at around 1650.

Injector PW and duty cycle generally hover around:

19.8-19.9ms and 84-85% duty cycle.

All this at 28 degrees timing and 27# of boost.

I'm jealous. Check out the thread Falling O2s. Have you ever had issues of the O2s dropping like that with the INJ PW not increasing?

Any chance of you sending me one of your DS files so I can see what to I should be expecting??

:-Dean