Retorqing heads??

JDSfastGN

Ok guys I've done a search and still have not come to a conclusion on retorquing heads. I have heard that you can not get a good torque on the head bolts when the motor is in the car, and I have to agree. The Felpro 9441 gaskets I used said that they did not need to be retorqued, along with some of the info I read about the ARP bolts I used. I know it can not hurt. But I don't think there is much use, because of having stock iron heads and a stock type gasket. The stock type gaskets do not compress that much. Now on aluminum heads I can understand, because of the affects heat has on aluminum. On my last rebuild I used stock gaskets and no retorque and they survived all the beating I could dish out. I never saw any knock, so that could be a reason. If run right and not detonated badly is there much use in retorquing if I don'tplan on running much more than 19-20#s of boost? Some swear by retorqing but I never have, and have never blown a head gasket in any car. Our 85 has stock gaskets and has survived 50,000 miles with a lot of abuse and detonation problems. Thanks for any opinions

ARP bolts need to be retourqued due to stretching, not because of the type of gasket.
I am doing mine now (double stacked steel) and will retorque because Jason Cramer says too. If it works for him, and he has changed MANY more than I have and will run more boost than I will ever see, I will do it.

You know you will be breaking the thread sealant that was put on the threads when the motor was assembled, & running the risk of having a slow coolant leak into your oil. Head studs are a different story because you don't break the seal. JMO
James

yeah thats what I thought, about breaking my bolt sealant. I'm not sold, the ARPs are supposed to stretch a little so that when the head heats up and expands then the torque is still retained, or am I completely wrong?

that was me in that last reply by blackv6, i am borrowing a friends computer and forgot to logout as his screen name, oops.

I just replaced head gaskets and read alot about re-torquing th e heads.All the "gurus" seem to think it is an important thing to do.

I did both sides in just over an hour--no problem getting good torque--use the right tools and it was very easy.

I was using ARP bolts.

Geoff

Did you have to remove the headers? and I have driven the car over 800 miles now, is it still ok to break the threads loose the 1/4 turn and retorque them?