Rebuilding 4L60E for towing

Morkai

Morkai the Red
I think I brought this up before, but the time is approaching. I am going to rebuild the slipping tranny in my dad's 93 chevy. It's a v6 model but we're probably going to put a vortec v8 in it. It's primary use is his daily driver and pulling the race car to the track. So I want to beef it up for towing, not really racing.

What are the main things I need to upgrade or go with? Probably do alto reds, what about the alto 3-4 9 clutch pack is that needed? Hardened sun shell probably a good idea. Shift kit and larger boost valve. I know there's a lot of performance parts for these, just need to know what I need for this application.

This'll be my first 700/4L60 rebuild, so far only have been doing the 2004r.

I just had mine redone about 4 weeks ago with the same purpose in mind. Ended up with a 5 gear planetary. Shift kit with large boost valves.Towing converter, Up graded the 3-4 with the Raybestos Zpack, The Beast sunshell ect.

Since yours is originally a V6 truck, make sure you replace the 554 servo a minumum of the 553. I always install the bigger Corvette servo and shift kit it to match for calibration so there are no "bang" or harsh shifts. I have had GREAT results with the TransGo kit for the 4L60E transmissions. Also make sure you don't use the cheapy 5 pinion planets from overseas. Use the US made ones. Little more in price but not prone to fracture (seen 2) and needle bearings burning up.

ideas

Yeah, saw that sun shell. I was planning on trying the transgo HD kit myself, had good luck with it in the 200-4r and it should come with the .500 boost valve. Wasn't sure about the servo. Wasn't sure about replacing the planet, how can you tell if it's cheap made or not?

Really think it's nessisary to replace the converter?

Appreciate the help guys...
Keep em coming. ;)

p.s. Since I'm probably going to snatch my block from the buick now it might delay this project a little longer, but gotta be done. We'll see how it tows his car to the track friday.

I would replace the converter since flushing it won't get all the junk out of the little hidden spots and you will surely stick a valve. I have had very good luck with the Dacco converters. Get the B29 converter with the DBF code. It is a 30 spline 2025 stall and they are only around $80. Got one in my 4.3 S10 and the last 3 trannies I built for one guy all got this converter and he is happy as hell. The overseas 5 pinion planets are going for around $50 here and the GM ones are twice that much. Stock late model 4 pinion GM planets are over $65 here.

Rebuild kit

Well, if the stock planet is in good shape I probably won't change it. It's not being raced. Is the 2k stall really nessisary, or would a lower stall be better in this application?

Found what looks to be a good alto master kit:
All gaskets for the complete rebuild (including the fiber pan gasket)!
All rubber (lip seals, o-rings) and metal clad seals
Sealing Rings
Alto Red Eagle Clutches (complete with the 3-4 9 clutch power pack!)
Kolene Steel Plates
Red Line Band
Popular Bushings
Filter
Corvette Servo Piston upgrade kit

Just need add the transgo HD2 kit, and sunshell, that says red band, isn't the alto wide band the only red lined band?

Do I really need "The Beast" sunshell or will just a hardened one do? Doesn't look like that kit includes sprags, would have to order those as well.

The beast is the way to go.;) If you see a stock one and check out a failed one you see why the Beast is better. If the hardened one is built just like a stocker i would pass.

I agree with Louie on the sun shell. Have installed stock hardened sun shells that still don't last like the beefier "Beast" or like CK, PTS, HPP all have. The Alto wide red band isn't the only red band out there...but of the other red bands I have used, the Alto wide has the proper anchor built. All that I have come across have the cheap stamping where the anchor goes into. The wide has it built up to withstand the abuse most of these go thru.

Sun Shell

Ok ok, the beast it is. I think it's an alto kit, so it should be an alto band, but I'll make sure.