quote for rebuilding heads

tford

Registered Member
I talked to a reputable buick guru about getting a mild rebuild of my heads. He estimated it at $1200. I looked on fullthrottlespeed's website and they're $1295 new. What's the point of getting them rebuilt if I could just replace them for $95 more. What is going on here? Thanks, Tim

port matched intake, valve job, springs, new valves. I'm probably missing some details but it's nothing to support a race car or anything. Just street car looking to run high 11's.

Springs - $100? at Kirban's
Stainless valves - $225 on Ebay
Valve job - $250?
Bronze guide liners & labor - $120?
Light surface cut on deck surfaces - $100?
Port match - $300?
Valve stem seals - $40?
Shims - $20?
Labor to disassemble / reassemble - $150?
Cleaning - $80?

Springs - $100? at Kirban's
Stainless valves - $225 on Ebay
Valve job - $250?
Bronze guide liners & labor - $120?
Light surface cut on deck surfaces - $100?
Port match - $300?
Valve stem seals - $40?
Shims - $20?
Labor to disassemble / reassemble - $150?
Cleaning - $80?

That is a fair price for a quality job. It does include $300 for port match of the intake which is the going rate.

The $1295 price does not include shipping, port match of the intake, and possibly a core charge?

Another consideration is a set of TA alum heads at $1800 complete, which will work with your stock rockers.

There is also a third possibility of purchasing a good set of used CNC iron heads from someone upgrading to alum heads as we sometimes have customers that do just that. :)

I talked to a reputable buick guru about getting a mild rebuild of my heads. He estimated it at $1200. I looked on fullthrottlespeed's website and they're $1295 new. What's the point of getting them rebuilt if I could just replace them for $95 more. What is going on here? Thanks, Tim

Holy crap
I hope that comes with lube
And a reach around
Call tom at champion

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I got a $300 valve job once,
then about a month later , took it to a reputable shop for
a CORRECT ,QUALITY valve job. with QUALITY parts.
you get what you pay for!

take your time picking someone for head work
I got beat up real bad and i could have done much better by going with TA or Champions.

port matched intake, valve job, springs, new valves. I'm probably missing some details but it's nothing to support a race car or anything. Just street car looking to run high 11's.
You do not need T/A aluminum heads or any others to run high 11's.Put that $1800.00 somewhere else.

The nice thing about the Champion ported irons,which is what Full Throttle sells,is that the egr passages are filled with aluminum.

I'm getting the entire engine overhauled and I was thinking of starting with the heads first to ease the pain on the wallet. I know head work is not needed for 11's but I blew something in the engine and if it's coming apart for any reason, I'm doing it complete even if it means not driving it till next year. Thanks for the insight on pricing. I figured that was pretty steep for heads considering last time the engine was replaced, I ended up spending $1400 for a complete long block ready to drop in. I found a new buick guru who is half the price of the one mentioned before. Just took some phone calls till I found what I thought was a reasonable price for quality work. Tim

I'm getting the entire engine overhauled and I was thinking of starting with the heads first to ease the pain on the wallet. I know head work is not needed for 11's but I blew something in the engine and if it's coming apart for any reason, I'm doing it complete even if it means not driving it till next year. Thanks for the insight on pricing. I figured that was pretty steep for heads considering last time the engine was replaced, I ended up spending $1400 for a complete long block ready to drop in. I found a new buick guru who is half the price of the one mentioned before. Just took some phone calls till I found what I thought was a reasonable price for quality work. Tim[/quote

There are numerous great engine builders right here on this site that could build you anything from a mild street build to an all out track car. There's no better place then right here to start looking! Good luck!

You do not need T/A aluminum heads or any others to run high 11's.Put that $1800.00 somewhere else.
To the one that rated my post DUMB and you know who you are,If you:poop::asshat: need high dollar heads to run high 11's in your Buick you should sell it and get into Camaro's or Mudstain's or something different!!!!:LOL:

To the one that rated my post DUMB and you know who you are,If you:poop::asshat: need high dollar heads to run high 11's in your Buick you should sell it and get into Camaro's or Mudstain's or something different!!!!:LOL:
I hope your not referring to me ?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If a rebuild is a necessity, then by all means go for the heads of your choice and you can afford. You might even be able to purchase a used set off of the board here. Just be clear for your goals to help prevent miss matched parts. It will also assist us in helping you.

With the price quote I got recently, I'm sending the longblock to get it all done at one shot. 11's should be a piece of cake when this thing is running again. On a side note, where did the hostility come from about someone calling a post dumb? I know a super high dollar set of heads are not necessary to run 11's but I want to get there without pushing it too far. I know the hostility was not directed to me, but let's keep this productive please. Thanks, Tim

With the price quote I got recently, I'm sending the longblock to get it all done at one shot. 11's should be a piece of cake when this thing is running again. ... Thanks, Tim

Smart move Tim, head work increases air flow which means you can develop the same HP with less boost.

If your ride is blown or not, the best $$$$ you can spend for more power is any method to increase air flow. :)

My 3500# car will run high 9's at 18 psi with a 70mm turbo!

If I were doing it again I would have started with T/A aluminum Heads... But that's just me