Question

Saladin45

There is a darkside
Well, I was talking with some members of the forum earlier today, and then I went out and spoke with some friends about it, and I've come to a conclusion: No conclusion at all!

Here's the following dillema.

I would like to purchase one of the 84/85 GN's. Why? Because I would like to get one for cheaper than the average 86/87 goes for right now. Cuz I want a nice whip and I don't want to save up 14 grand to buy a GN that already has a nice racing setup. (I'd like to actually WORK on my car) So this is what I've been thinking about...

See, I've been talking to people and I've found out that the 1984 Grand National has some limitations that stop it from gaining as much speed as the 86's and 87's. So one of my trains of thought has been along the lines of swapping the engine for something bigger. Now, this is much down the road, but, this is the engine I've been thinking about: 383 Stroker.

Now, I spoke with a buddy of mine and he told me that a 383 Stroker is NOT good because he said something about it, 'Not having the speed, but more about having power'. So basically, to sum it up, he was telling me that I'd have alot of power, but not enough to put to my wheels. Or at least, that's what he was saying. So that's my thing, does that make any sense? Is that a good engine?

Now here's another thing. Someone on the boards told me that I should take 87 parts and start putting them into the 84/85 engine. Now I was thinking, that might be cheaper to do that rather than jump into a 383 Stroker. Now, could someone explain to me what's a better idea? And if my friend's logic is?

-Saladin

There is nothing wrong with a 383 stroker. And its true you could buy an 84-85 car and put the 87 parts on in and save quite a bit. But this depends on how much you pay for the car and parts. In the end its still a 84-85 car.

Let me explain why I went to the Turbo v6 over the 383
I will drive the heck out of my car so MPG is very important to me (the one time purchases I could live with it’s the on going expense that really hurts)
With the 383 you will have plenty of power all of the time and plenty of fuel consumption all of the time to go with it.
With the turbo V6 you will have the best of both worlds plenty of power when you want it and good MPG when just cruising.
I’ve had both of them and it’s just the way I went about making my decision.
But now I am entertaining the idea of single turbo SBC.
Good luck with you future Ride.
David.

Ah, ok I understand then.

I'm thinking I might stay V6 now that I think about it.

Because I do want the car to be my driver. And I don't want my little paychecks to be eaten alive each week.

I'll just go with the 87 parts idea.

Thanks y'all.