Pulling motor

eargazm

84' moneypit
I'm getting ready to pull my motor and are having trouble getting the turbo off.How do I get the oil drain line off the center section?I need to pull it and the manifold off so I can attach my engien plate.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Oil drain

Jack, don't unbolt the oil drain. Pull the whole turbo off as one piece. Install the same way being carefull to make sure that the oil drain is completely bottomed into the oil grommet.

Come to think of it, why do you have to take the turbo off to pull the engine? Just pull the whole thing and take the turbo off after removal it will certainly be easier.

Pete

Jack, don't unbolt the oil drain. Pull the whole turbo off as one piece. Install the same way being carefull to make sure that the oil drain is completely bottomed into the oil grommet.

Come to think of it, why do you have to take the turbo off to pull the engine? Just pull the whole thing and take the turbo off after removal it will certainly be easier.

Pete

X2

I'm sure there some members who will tell you good locations to just chain into/bolt so it can lift the motor without taking the turbo off or intake.
(side note)
The turbo is kinda hard to get off the 1st and 2nd time it's done but after that, you get use to it.
I Used a crowbar to pop it up,after everything is unbolted of course.,

IF you haven't take off the uppipe or downpipe off due so. Im sure you have done all this but Just in case.
I don't remember the size socket tho:rolleyes:

Star with the up pipe. Unbolt the section by the O2 sensor 1st. Then unbolt the top 2 bolts on the up pipe (turbo to up pipe section) The whole Up pipe SHOULD swing up,(to the right) to get to the last bolt (bottem bolt), if not loosen it a bit( extensions/elbow or wrench will fit) Then swing it up. finish unbolting it.

Start on the Downpipe very easy, I'd start with the bolts up top instead of the ones under the car. Move that out of the way.

Once the DP and UP pipes are out of the way. You can get to these bolts. Remove the heater hose heat sheild by the turbo. Give you more room to get to the bolt in the back of turbo. There are Two bolts on the Fuel rail heat sheild. .The "driver side bolt" is right by the intake inlet(turbo to intake) look with a flashlight, firewall area. You wil see the bolt. Get to it with some extensions, no problem there.

As for the turbo coming off.
I Put the crowbar between the intake and turbo(compressor and intake)Popped out easy with no stress to me or the motor. I ripped it off with my bare hands once, A HOTAIR will tuffen you up ;)

When i installed it back i got a used TQ convertor(with a little fluid in it), put a rag on the turbo after it was all lined up. Then use the convertor to tap in down into place.....like a caveman with a good size rock....:cool:crazy i know but works for me.:rolleyes: When you do put it back make sure it's seated right. I hope this all makes sense

TIP
As for the drain hose, replace it with a drain adaptor (try ebay)and longer(not to long) HI temp hose/braided. Just long enough to get the hose in there with ease or a better drain pipe from a vendor. Since your gonna have the motor out, putting it back won't be hard, this is just a tip for later, if you ever do need to put the hose back with motor in car.

Just pulled mine today

I just did injectors today, and yeah I pulled the turbo right off after I unbolted up and down pipes mine doesn't have the shield, I only had to rock it back and forth 2 or 3 times till it popped out by hand, not much force needed. and btw when you put it back on the fuel rail will look like its in the way just tilt it forward and put the front lip into the intake hole, then just stand it back up and get a towel and a block of wood and whatever you use to negotiate stubborn things and give it a couple of downward shots so it seats. if you keep the stock oil drain pipe make sure its lined up before you seat that turbo into the intake hole and make double sure it went in the hole before bolting the up and down back up. fresh in my mind yet, got done a couple of hrs ago been drinking cold ones ever since. :biggrin:

Took it out for spin before celebrating, the injectors and chip and wideband work together awesome. The new injectors and the new tt chip 6.0 rock. gonna have fun this sunday at the track.:D

Thanks for the info,I have the up and down pipes off.I just didn't know how the drain line came off.I can see the two bolts where it attaches to the center section,just can't get to them.Everthing else is undone.I'll do some gentle tugging and see.I would rather have it off to avoid any damage.

Thanks,

Jack

Got it off,Just pulled a little harder.Now I can pull the intake,finish my engien plate and yank her out.Thanks fir the help.

Jack:biggrin:

Sounds good. Yeah again I was scared to bend,F#% up the turbo or other parts the 1st time i took it off. Then just got use to taking it off. By the way, how is your oil drain goument? If it's crack or looks worn in anyway(should) replace it cost 6$

Another Tip, Replace ALL ! your hoses with slicone lines. Mr gasket has a kit that will be more then enought to replace all your hoses. If not new rubber is better then leaving it to chance with old hoses. my .02 cents

This engien plate is turning into a pain in the a$$.Where can I chain to to pull the motor/trans together?

Thanks,

Jack

This engien plate is turning into a pain in the a$$.Where can I chain to to pull the motor/trans together? . . . . .

I have used the DS rear, and PS center upper exhaust manifold studs.

Pulling the engine

This engien plate is turning into a pain in the a$$.Where can I chain to to pull the motor/trans together?

Thanks,

Jack

OK Jake I'll make this easy for you. I don't remember if I re-installed it on the engine but on the front of the intake there should be a factory engine hook there. If not then simply remove the turbo heat plate (steel plate that protects the cooling hoses on the intake) The front bolt on the intake should be studded. After removing the heat plate put the chain on the stud and tighten the bolt on top of it. ( the one that held the plate in place). Then find a bolt from the opposite end of the intake or the opposite end upper exhaust header stud and place the other end of the chain on it. And whammo!! you got out. I never ever remove the intake when pulling the engine. As a matter of fact of got it down so good I can pull it out and reinstall in about 3 ours. Hopes this helps.

Good Luck , Pete

P.S. If you don't get the trans built save it for me until I get home so I can build it again.

Yea the hook is there I must of looked right over it.I can use just to the hook?Didn't know if it would be strong enough.

thanks,

Jack

No pete I haven't had anyone look at the tranny yet.I'll save it till you get back.I was hopeing to have everything finished by the time you got back but I think it's going to take a little longer than I expected.The machine shop that is boreing the block .30 over is slow but does excellent work.

Hello all,
found this thread this morning,and as I am giving my engine a detailing job before I install. I was wondering what I can install on the engine before I put it back in. Like the starter,crossover, coil,ect. It is going in with the trans attached.
Mart