PTE 6262 Journal Bearing

I saw the flare on the 2/3 shift, don't tell me the tranny is on it's way out...
Alky is set at 6, ok in the alky box there are two knobs, will have to dig out the alky instructions, thanks. Running with one alky nozzle.

Chuck

I personal can't live without the lockup on the street, did you ever think of locking it at WOT. How old is the tranny and what was done to it.

Chuck,

Your boost seems to come up pretty slow. I think Dusty is right in that the converter is a little tight as it should be coming up quicker based on the chip settings. However, I see a couple things that could be hurting you down low. Yes, the A/F is pretty rich down low. I'd open up the alky box and turn down the "initial" to about 11 o'clock and start form there. You should be at 12 o'clock. Also turn up the main gain knob some to offset this. You could probably go down to 10 o'clock but this could lead to some transitional knock on the street as the alky is coming in softer. Its easy to adjust so just run as low as you can without getting transitional knock on the street. You're just basically making it a smooth ramp when the alky comes in instead of coming in all at once. As long as you keep the timing on the low side like you have it you can run a lot less alky down low.

The other thing I see is that you have the alky timing delay. You are at 17.6 degrees timing for the first 1.2 sec of your run. Not sure about the SD chip. Maybe change the timing parameters to even numbers to get rid of this? On his latest 5.7 and 6.1 chips he made this defeatable for the track. Good to keep the delay on for the street as there can be a delay while the alky pressurizes. No worries about that when you're building boost at the line while at the track.

But yeah, the PTC 9.5 nl would probably be a nice upgrade. I just put one in for the TH400 in my white car last night, so I'll let you know how it goes! ;)

I see you are running 11.2 for your A/F ratio. You are running only a single nozzle for the alky so you might be ok but I'd try richening it up a little. I'm running 10.6 with a lot of alky on a dual nozzle. At 11.2 my EGTs were high 1600s and I usually shoot for high 1500s. As you add more alky you need to run lower A/F ratio. I made a table to see what corrected A/F ratios one should be running for various levels of methanol % added to gasoline, I'll post it up if I find it.

Chuck,

Your boost seems to come up pretty slow. I think Dusty is right in that the converter is a little tight as it should be coming up quicker based on the chip settings. However, I see a couple things that could be hurting you down low. Yes, the A/F is pretty rich down low. I'd open up the alky box and turn down the "initial" to about 11 o'clock and start form there. You should be at 12 o'clock. Also turn up the main gain knob some to offset this. You could probably go down to 10 o'clock but this could lead to some transitional knock on the street as the alky is coming in softer. Its easy to adjust so just run as low as you can without getting transitional knock on the street. You're just basically making it a smooth ramp when the alky comes in instead of coming in all at once. As long as you keep the timing on the low side like you have it you can run a lot less alky down low.

The other thing I see is that you have the alky timing delay. You are at 17.6 degrees timing for the first 1.2 sec of your run. Not sure about the SD chip. Maybe change the timing parameters to even numbers to get rid of this? On his latest 5.7 and 6.1 chips he made this defeatable for the track. Good to keep the delay on for the street as there can be a delay while the alky pressurizes. No worries about that when you're building boost at the line while at the track.

But yeah, the PTC 9.5 nl would probably be a nice upgrade. I just put one in for the TH400 in my white car last night, so I'll let you know how it goes! ;)

I see you are running 11.2 for your A/F ratio. You are running only a single nozzle for the alky so you might be ok but I'd try richening it up a little. I'm running 10.6 with a lot of alky on a dual nozzle. At 11.2 my EGTs were high 1600s and I usually shoot for high 1500s. As you add more alky you need to run lower A/F ratio. I made a table to see what corrected A/F ratios one should be running for various levels of methanol % added to gasoline, I'll post it up if I find it.

Thanks for all the information Murph, I have some homework to do.

Chuck

I personal can't live without the lockup on the street, did you ever think of locking it at WOT. How old is the tranny and what was done to it.

I was told by the experts the lock-up clutch won't take that abuse. I use the lock-up everytime I drive the car now, so don't want to abuse it. I use to lock up my old combo which would do about 112 in the 1/4 mile, it lasted over a yr. then the clutch burned up.
The tranny/converter have 13k miles on them, over $3k for the build, billet forward drum, band anchor, all new clutches and seals, Alto racing direct clutches, dual feed, reman direct drum, billet 2nd servo, rebuild front pump, drill drain back hole, hi pressure regulating system, HD pump rings & primary spring, new TCC selonoid, custom shift kit, ck seperator plate.

Chuck

This is where the 9.5 and 10" lock-up based converters fall short of a good true non lock. I can put a 9.5 non lock in it that will stall 2800-3000 at 0-1# yet it will still slip under 6%. You get the launch of a 3000 stall and the mph of a 2000 stall. Your making great power. That turbo is an awesome piece and is as big as anyone needs unless they want to run 9's.

Thanks for this information Dusty! I'm going to contact you shortly.

Chuck

Boost creep in this run....

If you look at my logged run, up to #1003 the boost is about 24lbs after that it creeps all the way up to 29.6, this turbo is a wild child/Buick killer.... handle with care... 1st time I had a creep issue after switching to the external waste gate set-up. My vacuum lines are smaller then the turbo/waste gate fittings, guess I'll start there with bigger lines, problem is the valve in the car to regulate boost has the smaller fittings, maybe I can put bigger ones on. May have to eliminate this valve and go with the RJC Boost Controller, I have here in the workshop that I used a few yrs ago. Or open the wastegate hole up to match the external down pipe, or get a bigger waste gate valve.... time to start wrenching .....

Chuck

Ok, had to dig up this old thread, happy to report finally called Dusty and put my order in for a new converter.
Ported the down pipe flange to match the ported wastegate hole, hard to test it on the street....

Chuck

Ok, had to dig up this old thread, happy to report finally called Dusty and put my order in for a new converter.
Ported the down pipe flange to match the ported wastegate hole, hard to test it on the street....

Chuck

Good luck. Sounds like a beast.

Chuck
You're going to love it at the track!;) Which one did you choose? 9.5 or 10"

All I can say is hold on!! :eek: Since you already have your tune dialed in, you are about to feel and see a huge improvement!! :D 17 Blade?
not sure how many blades? What ever Dusty thought I needed..... I let him decide the best converter for my combination.

Must be for low boost with a 212 or larger cam