Project mock up.

1dollardog

Are we there yet?
Well I've been rolling this idea around in my head for a while so I thought I'd give it a shot. Its going to be a TT sts type of system. I've heard from both sides of the isle about not enough exhaust heat to make this work but I've seen proof that this type of turbo set up works. Keep in mind this is just a mock up and no where near the finished product. I have alot of work left to do, this is just a starting place. Once I make sure it "works", I'll make it pretty;) and begin the tuning process. The question is always "why" and I say "why not":) I have everything to easily convert it back to stock.

Attachments

• gn 002.jpg
    gn 002.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 720
  • gn 004.jpg
    gn 004.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 694
  • gn 006.jpg
    gn 006.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 708
  • gn 017.jpg
    gn 017.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 696
Rubber oil lines will be replaced with all braded hard lines after mock up process.

Attachments

• gn 012.jpg
    gn 012.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 668
  • gn 013.jpg
    gn 013.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 675
  • gn 014.jpg
    gn 014.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 690
You know what? I was actually thinking about this earlier this week...if anyone has ever done a rear turbo setup. Very interested in seeing the progress with this! Good luck!

Great Idea! From what I read you will need to choose the correct exhaust size probably 2" - 2-1/4" or so (dual, and just my guess) and Ceramic coat or Wrap your exhaust to keep the heat in. the small Turbo size should help your cause.

Great Idea! From what I read you will need to choose the correct exhaust size probably 2" - 2-1/4" or so (dual, and just my guess) and Ceramic coat or Wrap your exhaust to keep the heat in. the small Turbo size should help your cause.

Yep bazackly;). I have a set of hooker headers on it now and I plan on having them ceramic coated and wrap everything from that back to the turbos. That should insulate them enough and allow the maximum heat to flow to the turbos. I have dual 2.25" back to the turbos and no cats or mufflers. The turbo themselves will act as mufflers to make it a bit quieter than straight pipes:eek:. I am using 2 stock hotair turbos since I already had them on hand.

Interesting...

I don't see a dual exhaust system putting enough thermal pressure to run dual turbos... but a single shot exhaust might make such a setup possible. :)

:) This sure is interesting and I do hope it is a success for you. Talk about thinking outside of the box! I believe this project takes the cake for any project in this area of the board for some time. :eek:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You get my Salute!

"Louie"

I don't see a dual exhaust system putting enough thermal pressure to run dual turbos... but a single shot exhaust might make such a setup possible. :)

:) This sure is interesting and I do hope it is a success for you. Talk about thinking outside of the box! I believe this project takes the cake for any project in this area of the board for some time. :eek:

You get my Salute!

"Louie"

Yeah this is my worry. The small stock turbos will help in this some what though. I know that if I went with larger turbos that the exhaust pressure from 3 cylinders per turbo probably wouldn't be enough to propell a large turbo let alone allow it to build boost. Jay Leno had a twin turbo v6 camero built for him for sema that did very well but it wasn't a remote mounted system (I don't think). My simple goals were to use what spare parts I had laying around and improve performance over the stock hot air set up. Also with this set up it cleans up the engine compartment and will allow me to do some custom work in there;).

Fun stuff...kudos for thinking outside of the box!

The STS style turbo systems really help out some of the V8 guys because there is no room in the engine. Have you considered doing a TT set up infront of the engine? There is a ton of room up there (without that huge fan shroud) and you will really cut down on plumbing by just getting some custom headers made.

Fun stuff...kudos for thinking outside of the box!

The STS style turbo systems really help out some of the V8 guys because there is no room in the engine. Have you considered doing a TT set up infront of the engine? There is a ton of room up there (without that huge fan shroud) and you will really cut down on plumbing by just getting some custom headers made.

Yeah that is definately doable. I guess that is why I wanted to try the rear set up, because it hasn't been done on one of these cars. I like the idea of doing it without an innercooler. Hopefully the distance between the turbos and the tb should cool the air and not be restrictive. I'd like to keep the engine bay clean and open and re-install my ac. Alot of this is going to be trial and error.:biggrin:

What size piping for the exhaust are you going to use? Would'nt a smaller size pipe restrict airflow, but keep enough pressure to build boost

Yes...

I believe a single 3" back... and split into a 2 1/2" size Y section leading to both turbo's would work. ;)

I'm just letting the sts people do my reaserch for me on this since they do make tt kits. Seems like they tend to use 2" or 2.25" back to the turbos. I'm using the 2.25". This seems large enough for free flowing exhaust but small enough to send the heat on back before it cools.