Problem removing cam sensor

wb's87

willrock
Hi all. I am changing out my stock timing set. While removing the cam sensor it was very difficult to get out. Apparently the metal piece above the gear was binding and is now bent. Any suggestions or advice on what to do with it?
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1393987854.126712.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1393987888.192732.jpg

X2. There should be a flat washer in there and a wavy spring washer (looks like that might be missing). Someone may have attempted a ghetto repair... :eek:

This is the first time it has ever been apart. I am the original owner. The only reason I'm changing the timing set is for preventative maintenance.

Drive the spring roll pin out, order a Moroso distributor shim kit from Jegs or Summit. Put it back together as good as new.

As earlbrown claimed you can repair it yourself, but being it's original cam sensor, you're better off sending it to GNS for rebuilt since the internal bushings are probably starts to wear down and then you'll start to have side to side movement (that's no,no). Up and down movement is normal as this is where the wavy washer come in to play.
http://www.gnsperformance.com/products/acesso_camsensors.html

Judging by the gear wear pattern and the condition of the sensor body I doubt it's warn out. It just got damaged during removal. Once a washer is acquired, it's a 5 minute fix.

Hey guy,
Pm me your mailing address and I'll send you both washers and a new roll pin and as Earl says you can fix it in 5 mins.

Judging by the gear wear pattern and the condition of the sensor body I doubt it's warn out. It just got damaged during removal. Once a washer is acquired, it's a 5 minute fix.
You would be surprised at how worn those internal bushings can be.

Posted to TurboBuick.com from my RAZR MAXX HD

The gear has a good wear pattern [even without the wavy washer] and if there is no side to side play as well as no spots that bind when you spin it I would just replace the washers as recommended by others.

It looks like a low mileage example and if I'm wrong you must change the oil more often than recommended for it to look so good and have minimal wear showing.

Right on Rob.
I want you to change your combo to CPT- 66 Turbo, Hee - Hee

If you know where I can get one at a fair price let me know, I'll jump on it and heed your advice and switch to one:ROFLMAO:(y)

Also if I have to switch to a CPT-66 I want you to switch to a PTE 6466BB, fair enough??

Last edited:
The gear has a good wear pattern [even without the wavy washer] and if there is no side to side play as well as no spots that bind when you spin it I would just replace the washers as recommended by others.

It looks like a low mileage example and if I'm wrong you must change the oil more often than recommended for it to look so good and have minimal wear showing.

If you look close at the picture, you can see a small part of the wave washer.

Here is my original 92,000 cam sensor- As you can see how good it looks when pulled straight out of the engine.
The reason I removed the cam sensor; at start up I was hearing a ticking noise then disappear after engine warms up, after eliminating all others probable causes is when I replaced with a brand new spare cam sensor.
I didn't give it a chance to exceed the ticking noise and maybe other unknown problems to arise.
The cause of the ticking, had some side to side movement.

Attachments

• Picture 1054.jpg
    Picture 1054.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 260
  • Picture 1053.jpg
    Picture 1053.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 228
This is the first time it has ever been apart. I am the original owner. The only reason I'm changing the timing set is for preventative maintenance.

I would suggest sending the cam sensor in for a rebuild for the same reason as you replaced the timing set. Piece of mind knowing it will be good to go. Just my opinion it's your call.

I have only used Mobil 1 since the day It came home from the dealer in '87. I change the oil and filter twice per year. I can't believe how clean the internals are in this motor. 74k miles
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1394042770.441504.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1394042921.141437.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1394043230.191774.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1394043313.224760.jpg

Btw the pics are exactly as the parts came off the car. I didn't clean anything yet.

I believe it, as my motor looks the same.

It's just that some people will recommend you to do more because they are good at spending other peoples money, you know kinda like politicians.

Just put the washers on there that mike said he would give/sell to you and be done with it and save some coin. It's not like the timing chain were the whole front of the motor has to come off.

If you have a problem down the road it takes the removal of one bolt and unhook the harness and drop a new one in. It's a no brainer to me but hey that's just my view from the couch.

Last edited:
It would take less time to measure any potential side clearance than it would to make a post about fixing potential side clearance.

Now I kinda wonder what my 200,000 mile cam sensor measures out at? It's makes no noise but it's never had to drive a HV pump full of 20W50 either. I wonder if that's the tipping point for wearing out the side clearance?