Prescion Turbo

xcessiv6

Boom Tube
In April I took my turbo to Prescion to get it rebuilt, the cost $400 needed an exhaust turbine and other parts from a turbo I bought new from them some 6 to 8 years ago. I personally drove it up to them making arraingements to dropped it off and pick back up later that day, that was my desicion to drive it to them instead of shipping it because I wanted to see exactly what happen to it. Put turbo on car drove it to BG and Columbus starts smoking again at Columbus. Take back off take it back up to them and have them fix it again, bearings went outs. Now less than 100 miles the turbo is leaking oil again. I have around $600 in this turbo, sent emails to them, they want to look at it, but want me to pay for shipping, I could see if:frown: had been 6 months but we are talking less than a month. I do not race the car either and use their PTE oilling system.

My recommendation DONOT REBUILD A TURBO, save up and buy a new one you'll save your money and time. You may want to use a different brand of Turbo too.

I would ship it but, ask them to refund your shipping if the problem is due to their work

Problem is probally related to break in procedure. It's a good idea to prime it with oil before starting it. This is something that is not told or stated in any documentation after purchasing a new or rebuild. I'm sure if you send it you'll be wasting your time. Normal killers of turbos are lack of lube or foreign material into blades. It will alway be your word against theres.

Problem is probally related to break in procedure. It's a good idea to prime it with oil before starting it. This is something that is not told or stated in any documentation after purchasing a new or rebuild. I'm sure if you send it you'll be wasting your time. Normal killers of turbos are lack of lube or foreign material into blades. It will alway be your word against theres.

You don't know how anal Eric (the op) is about his car and every component on it. He has done everything right (and then some) as well as use royal purple oil.

I dont think it would make a difference if you race it or not, I mean its a freaken turbo for crying out loud. You dont upgrade your turbo to get better gas milage, you upgrade to get more power and if you want to race it, then race it. Im just saying if they give you some BS about you raced it I would be like "WTF are you making these sh1ty turbos for then?" Good luck man! That sounds jacked up though.

In April I took my turbo to Prescion to get it rebuilt, the cost $400 needed an exhaust turbine and other parts from a turbo I bought new from them some 6 to 8 years ago. I personally drove it up to them making arraingements to dropped it off and pick back up later that day, that was my desicion to drive it to them instead of shipping it because I wanted to see exactly what happen to it. Put turbo on car drove it to BG and Columbus starts smoking again at Columbus. Take back off take it back up to them and have them fix it again, bearings went outs. Now less than 100 miles the turbo is leaking oil again. I have around $600 in this turbo, sent emails to them, they want to look at it, but want me to pay for shipping, I could see if:frown: had been 6 months but we are talking less than a month. I do not race the car either and use their PTE oilling system.

My recommendation DONOT REBUILD A TURBO, save up and buy a new one you'll save your money and time. You may want to use a different brand of Turbo too.
Ask them to send you the failed parts and post close up pics of them. Bearings dont just go bad in turbos. Either lack of lubrication or contaminated oil cases a high % of failures. If its smoking it could be something else causing it such as to high a volume in or a restricited oil return. Ive had good luck dealing with PTE directly which says a lot because most big companies dont want to hear it form the small guy. On another note the fact that they wont sell small internal parts directly to customers caught me off guard. I simply went to another supplier who was happy to sell me exactly what i needed.

i have had friends send stuff to pte to get rebuilt as well, and he noticed the same problem less than a month later. He was thinking they didn't even take it apart.

6 PTE turbos a stock location inter cooler and a front mount intercooler no problems :eek: am i lucky ?

Bison is right...its normally contaminated oil or oil volume issue. Do you have any metal shavings in your oil. Have you dropped the oil pan lately?

Pete

UPDATE!!

Well I have Eric's car here now to address this turbo issue but I will begin with this.

After the post above Persicion contacted him in regaurds to this thread and asked him to just send it back because they wanted to look at it. Well Eric shipped it back to them (On his Dime!) and they repaired it AGAIN and sent it back, Here is where the story (saga) continues. And I would also like to put to rest all of the "Break in failure", "Oil contamination" assumptions!

Eric has been using the PTE turbo saver for Years on his car, He uses Royal Purple Racing oil in his car for a VERY LONG time! He changes his oil more often than I do (less than 3,000mi).. So with that said I will continue on to his install procedure as he always does when installing a turbo.

Eric recently installed this Last turbo from PTE and while he was at it (Kevin B) replaced the oil pan gasket! So it went back with NEW Royal Purple racing oil and filter!! after everything was hooked up (except oil feed line and drain line) he Pre-Oiled the turbo untill it drained out the return line then he said he hooked up the oil return line pre-oiled the turbo again! then hooked up the oil feed line and started the car all Seemed well untill it warmed up and it started smoking like a pig out the exhaust AGAIN! NOW this is on a brand new turbo and hasn't had a single mile put on it!!! I know some turbo's need some time to break in so he has warmed it up SEVERAL times now and Still puffing oil smoke..

Eric now has moved down here by me and we will be tearing the turbo off AGAIN soon to see if that is the problem for the 4th time. We will post up the findings as soon as we get time to pull the turbo off..

This turbo was pulled off, sent back, rebuilt, - pulled off, sent back, rebuilt, - pulled off, sent back, rebuilt WAY too manny times now... Customer is NOT HAPPY to say the Least l!!!!!

Scot W.

UPDATE!!

Well I have Eric's car here now to address this turbo issue but I will begin with this.

After the post above Persicion contacted him in regaurds to this thread and asked him to just send it back because they wanted to look at it. Well Eric shipped it back to them (On his Dime!) and they repaired it AGAIN and sent it back, Here is where the story (saga) continues. And I would also like to put to rest all of the "Break in failure", "Oil contamination" assumptions!

Eric has been using the PTE turbo saver for Years on his car, He uses Royal Purple Racing oil in his car for a VERY LONG time! He changes his oil more often than I do (less than 3,000mi).. So with that said I will continue on to his install procedure as he always does when installing a turbo.

Eric recently installed this Last turbo from PTE and while he was at it (Kevin B) replaced the oil pan gasket! So it went back with NEW Royal Purple racing oil and filter!! after everything was hooked up (except oil feed line and drain line) he Pre-Oiled the turbo untill it drained out the return line then he said he hooked up the oil return line pre-oiled the turbo again! then hooked up the oil feed line and started the car all Seemed well untill it warmed up and it started smoking like a pig out the exhaust AGAIN! NOW this is on a brand new turbo and hasn't had a single mile put on it!!! I know some turbo's need some time to break in so he has warmed it up SEVERAL times now and Still puffing oil smoke..

Eric now has moved down here by me and we will be tearing the turbo off AGAIN soon to see if that is the problem for the 4th time. We will post up the findings as soon as we get time to pull the turbo off..

This turbo was pulled off, sent back, rebuilt, - pulled off, sent back, rebuilt, - pulled off, sent back, rebuilt WAY too manny times now... Customer is NOT HAPPY to say the Least l!!!!!

Scot W.

Which size turbo is this ?

Is he getting good oil pressure at the turbo? New feed line? Nothing against your customer and Im not sticking up for Precision but the odds of them screwing up the rebuild 6 or 7 times in a row are pretty low.

Pete

What type of drain line is on this car?
Mike
It's a -8 Braided return line and it's NOT KINKED or CLOGGED!!

Turbo is a T64E

PTE oiling sytem Feed line! (NOT the stock skinny type!)

Oil pressure cold is 65 psi

Oil pressure warm (at temp 165*) 17-20 psi at idle

New baldwin filter on the PTE turbo saver.

New fresh Royal Purple racing 10W40 oil.

And proper steps listed above that were taken on the install...

HINT! It doesn't smoke when it's cold and the oil pressure is the highest, but only smokes when it warms up!

For what this guy has spent on the initial rebuild and all the shipping cost so far he could have bought a DBB turbo! :(

Ready for the next questions, As far as I see it there isn't anything wrong with the install or the start up procedures, there is also nothing wrong with the oiling syatem to date.

Like I mentioned we will post back when we actually tear this crap off and see what is going on..

Thanks for the questions and concern on helping solve this mystery.

Scot W.

did you clean your oil feed line out extensively before installing the rebuilt turbo? if not that could be the issue, I ruined a T3 on an SVO once because I neglected to clean the line out and the debris in the line broke loose when I took the line off and moved it around.... just a thought

also there might be alot of left over oil sitting in the downpipe after one of the failures. hell maybe even in the exhaust? is there oil anywhere it shouldnt be?

did you clean your oil feed line out extensively before installing the rebuilt turbo? if not that could be the issue, I ruined a T3 on an SVO once because I neglected to clean the line out and the debris in the line broke loose when I took the line off and moved it around.... just a thought
Answer, Yes!

also there might be alot of left over oil sitting in the downpipe after one of the failures. hell maybe even in the exhaust? is there oil anywhere it shouldnt be?
There is So much smoke it will completely FILL a 2.5 car garage buy just backing the car in!!! If it was left over oil, the exhaust would of had to be Filled with oil and that wasn't the case. NOTE: He is now on his THIRD rebuilt turbo from PTE now and the other times it was re-installed it slowly took it time to go out!!

I'm sure Eric will chime in and let you know the exact mile the other three turbos went before they puked on him..

Right now we are Both up for things to check here but as these turbos kept failing he kept checking stuff and double checking stuff so it wouldn't happen again. So at this point pretty much EVERYTHING has been done right to prevent a failure and it's smoking again....Trust me, He don't like what has been happening any more than PTE does and Eric would love for it to just work.. This taking it off and sending it back three times is getting old Fast!

Scot W.

Do you have a spare turbo of any sort around?
throw it on and check,maybe its not the turbo.
Also a #8 return may be a bit to small if its got
killer oil feed,I have had to build and inline restrictor
on some turbo installs that got too much oil
causing an exxcesive smoke condition,
Basically I have seen the feed (which is under pressure)
overcome the return ability to return.

You also may want to check the return doesnt have a problem internally
I have seen fittings installed incorrectly that pull the inner rubber into the hose