Precision's new air cooled ceramic dual ball bearing cartridges.

I just blew my motor and need to send my PTE6262 in to PTE for inspection. When its there, can it be upgraded from journal to the AC ceramic bearing. I assume you just put in a new CHRA. If there was metal in the CHRA, it might be trashed anyhow...

You also mentioned you dont recommend a -3AN feed. Just too little volume?

Thanks

str8dum1,
Yes, your journal bearing 6262 can be upgraded to an Air Cooled DBB turbo, you just need to annotate that on the note you put in the box with your turbo. Also, I would recommend you put that note inside a plastic bag so that oil does not destroy it during transit.
Something along the lines of, "I'd like to get an estimate for repair, as well as upgrading this turbo to the new Air Cooled Dual Ball Bearing cartridge."

Officially, we only recommend a -4 An feed line on all of our journal bearing T3/T4 hybrids and T4 turbos.

Patrick

Thanks,

The rep at PTE made it sound like it couldnt be upgraded and that essentially only the housings could be reused... Its about 450$ to go from a journal to the ball bearing when buying a new turbo. Is it a similar cost for a rebuild upgrade? I'm sure other JB owners would be interested in this as well

Thanks!

str8dum1,
Yes, your journal bearing 6262 can be upgraded to an Air Cooled DBB turbo, you just need to annotate that on the note you put in the box with your turbo. Also, I would recommend you put that note inside a plastic bag so that oil does not destroy it during transit.
Something along the lines of, "I'd like to get an estimate for repair, as well as upgrading this turbo to the new Air Cooled Dual Ball Bearing cartridge."

Officially, we only recommend a -4 An feed line on all of our journal bearing T3/T4 hybrids and T4 turbos.

Patrick

recommended for sure. cold startup with the oil bypass is bad for the turbo. i would just spend the extra few bucks and get the turbo saver and have piece of mind that the oil going to the turbo is filtered

is there a reason you guys got rid of the garret water cooled centers and went to these? i got the old 6776bb turbo mine has only 3000 miles on and has alot of play already i took it apart and non of the turbines hit. can these be rebuilt without replacing the whole center section? and if so how much to replace the bearings. im glad you guys keep us buick guys in mind and keep making new turbos for us but i can afford to replace a turbo every 3000 miles and a lil hesitant to dish out two grand for a new design bb turbo and the same thing happen.

is there a reason you guys got rid of the garret water cooled centers and went to these? i got the old 6776bb turbo mine has only 3000 miles on and has alot of play already i took it apart and non of the turbines hit. can these be rebuilt without replacing the whole center section? and if so how much to replace the bearings. im glad you guys keep us buick guys in mind and keep making new turbos for us but i can afford to replace a turbo every 3000 miles and a lil hesitant to dish out two grand for a new design bb turbo and the same thing happen.

Our Air cooled ceramic dual ball bearing cartridge, was in early development stages as far back as late 2006. We specifically wanted to do a lot of beta testing on these new cartridges before releasing them to the public. As you can see from the date of when this post was started, that was the official release date. Incorporating the latest and most recent evolutionary technology into our turbochargers, has dramatically extended the longevity, reliability and serviceability of our products.

As for your unit with the liquid-cooled CHRA, it is difficult to quote a repair price over the internet, as we do not know the extent of the damage if any. We have the ability to rebuild those units with component level parts, and would suggest sending the unit into our facility so we can evaluate the turbocharger. If you would like to send your unit in for an evaluation, please visit our website and download the Product Return Form.

Product Return Form is located here.

Precision Turbo and Engine: Shipping and Returns

Once you have the form filled out, give us a call for your RGA number.

#219-996-7832

Once the unit has been evaluated, our Repair Department will give you a call to discuss your options.
Hope this helps.

Patrick