Powerlogger

Beamer

I am new to the turbo scene and am looking at what will work best for me for my situation. I just received in the mail, my Scanmaster 2.1, and am thinking about the powerlogger in combination. I called Full Throttle today to inuire about wide band O2 connectivity and was informed that I need a translator also, and the cost is at $200 more. I asked a few more questions and I then felt like I was being a pest to the guy and hung up. I forgot to inquire about the chip that comes with it for the update to connect the Scanmaster for additional data and called back within a minute. The tech guy was gone already for a flight and would not be back until Monday.

I am also a little confused about FT's customer service. He seemed to not want to help any and was short in answer. Maybe that was becouse he was in a hurry to get out. I want to make sure I make a sound decision on tuning tools.

Could I get some opinions on these testing devices and maybe some 101 on what does what for our cars for tweaking them?

Thanks all,
Mike

I am new to the turbo scene and am looking at what will work best for me for my situation. I just received in the mail, my Scanmaster 2.1, and am thinking about the powerlogger in combination. I called Full Throttle today to inuire about wide band O2 connectivity and was informed that I need a translator also, and the cost is at $200 more. I asked a few more questions and I then felt like I was being a pest to the guy and hung up. I forgot to inquire about the chip that comes with it for the update to connect the Scanmaster for additional data and called back within a minute. The tech guy was gone already for a flight and would not be back until Monday.

I am also a little confused about FT's customer service. He seemed to not want to help any and was short in answer. Maybe that was becouse he was in a hurry to get out. I want to make sure I make a sound decision on tuning tools.

Could I get some opinions on these testing devices and maybe some 101 on what does what for our cars for tweaking them?

Thanks all,
Mike

Mike must have been in a hurry for his flight or something. I have called a few times and he (and the rest of the crew) have always been very helpfull.

The scanmaster is a good first step, and your thinking in the right direction for the powerlogger. I'm not quite sure on the translator part, I don't think you *need* it in order to have the WB02. The LC1 WB02 kit is $200, and the powerlogger should be able to read that for you.
I think you are correct on the updated chip thing, you might need to send the scanmaster back to get updated.
As far as anything else you need to get it running, Mike would be able to give you a rundown of what exactly you need. He's not the type of person to sell you stuff you don't need.

I would concentrate on getting the powerlogger setup first, then when you get it running, incoporate the Wideband. You are really headed in the "smart" direction with this stuff. Most people just start out buying big turbos, downpipes, etc and don't consider the importance of a scan tool, or especially a wide band 02.

HTH, any other questions please ask. It usually takes me a few tries before I understand some of this stuff.:cool:

PowerLogger is a data logging device, sorta like the old Direct Scan but with many more features, etc.
It is a data logger. While you can use the data that you see and log to use for tuning purposes, it in its self cannot make changes to the ECM it's attached to.

The Power logger can feed data to the scanmaster and a scanmaster upgrade chip can be had with the power logger.

As for the WBO2, you could run one, and don't need anything else. Just connect it to the PowerLogger, but without the ability to use the info via some type of tuning device (one of the many types of Translators or a tuneable chip), it's just nice to know info and not much else.

Mike had to make a flight to FLA which is probably why he seemed in a hurry. He was.

You are really headed in the "smart" direction with this stuff. Most people just start out buying big turbos, downpipes, etc and don't consider the importance of a scan tool, or especially a wide band 02.

Here is my situation...

I just purchased an 87 T Wo2 off this board. It came from Texas and the guy I got it from did not know much anything about these cars at all. He got it on a trade of an incomplete mustang race car. I knew a few things about it when I got it, but am learning more and more each day. Not only about the car, but about the turbo world itself - as I am new to it. Here is a link to the car thread - http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/cars-sale/233334-87-buick-regal-t-wo2.html

Here are things that are already on the car:

Champion CNC series heads
Precision turbo - now known to be a PT54
Precision intercooler - I believe that is which one it is - Dutt necks, oversized and larger port at bottom in stock location
55 lb injectors - verified by a person on the board has a set for sale and they match appearance and the number 3012 on them
Red Armstrong chip and additional RA race chip in what must be a modified ECM for the 55lb injectors
TH downpipe
Dual cat-back w/ flowmasters going out stock locations
Accufab TB
Tranny feels to be built nicely w/ 3K stall (not sure) as it will easily flash above 3K while in drive with moderate acceleration at 50MPH
Tranny pan has been modified with a lowered rectangular section with cooling tubes through it
Tranny also has what is believed to be a stage-rite transbrake in it
3.42 stock gears w/ posi that looks healthy and good
30 lb boost gauge on pillar, oil pressure, water temp, volt and tranny temp gauges on passenger dash (tranny does not work)

I know there has to be more that I am missing or do not know yet...

I would really like to find out more info on the car as to who did the work and what all was done. I have names and addresses of 2 previous titled owners in TX, that I am going to try to contact about it. I am going to try to locate some people in the Lubbock, TX area on this board to inquire if they have knowledge of it also.

Things that I plan to do and are in motion right now:

fat and skinny wheel combo on the car now are coming off and will be used for track racing. Being replaced with 15X8 Centerline's http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/232919-15x8-center-line-rims-tr.html that will have Nitto P275/50R15's on the rear

rear springs currently on car are not origonal, they are stiff as heck modified and lowered slightly - ordered a set of the Kirban variable rate rear springs

Picked up a set of rear AC1 adjustable shocks for the rear from a buddy for $50 each, will look to get some for the front also

Turned down boost that was hitting 22 lbs to 15 lbs for street gas

Scanmaster 2.1 to be installed

I will be learning along the way, asking a lot of questions and hoping to find help to make this car run to it's potential. I have been around Buicks for over 20 years and love to show doubters what we can do. I am proud of my back bumper, LOL...

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated,
Mike

I like the pillar mount knock gauge and Power Logger for a scan tool combo. The scan master/power logger is a nice set up. Just there is a lot of $$$ tied up in that. I am happy with the set up I have. I have it in 2 cars. Just wanted to toss that out there.

Scanmaster, PowerLogger, and Wideband.

Just wanted to pop in and help with some answers.

I know Mike was in a hurry to run the the PRI show. But there may just be a little confusion in the terminology.

Lots of guys ask "can I connect a wideband sensor to the PowerLogger?" The answer is that you need a wideband control unit to translate the sensor signal into something the PowerLogger can read. This may be the mixup.

At any rate, the connectivity is as follows.

The Scanmaster 2.1 reads data from the ECM at 1.5 frames per second as this is the broadcast rate of the ECM. There is a "high speed" mode which is a trick we came up with to display a couple items faster (O2 and knock). This is a modification to the chip in the ECM, which your chip supplier can do for you. Note that the high speed mod stops ECM troublecodes form being displayed on the Scanmaster.

The PowerLogger connects directly to the CPU in the ECM using the factory test port on the bottom of the ECM. The installation instructions are posted at FullThrottleTech.com, its pretty easy. Since its connected directly to the ECM, all ECM data is available and at extremely fast rates. The PowerLogger logs at 20 frames per second and can also log external inputs from a Wideband O2 unit, EGT, boost, etc. The PowerLogger can also send data to the Scanmaster at 5 frames per second, including the extra inputs (EGT, Boost, Wideband)

Most guys start with a Scanmaster which is excellent for casual tuning on the street. The PowerLogger is popular with the guys looking to really optimize their tune.

For tuning info, there is a ton of wisdom on this board. Do some searching around and perhaps start a thread to get some feedback from the guru's on here. But in a nutshell, leanout and detonation/knock kills engines. On pump gas, 17-19 psi is the typical limit depending on the cars buildup. On race gas, or with alcohol injection boost can be raised into the mid 20's. Tune cautiously and watch the knock retard and O2 voltages/wideband.

I hope this helps some.

Bob

Sorry for the confusion about the WBO2 hookup. Guess I assumed that anyone buying/using a WBO2 understood that a controller needs to be purchased with one, as most do, unless you buy just the sensor over the counter.

Bob and all...

Thanks VERY much for the replies and detailed explanation. As stated, I am new to these computer controlled/monitored systems and look forward so much to optimizing my car. I am hoping to learn more every day. I am glad that I inquired about FT, as I did not expect what I thought may be happening. I have been around the Buick community for well over 20 years, and I know for a fact that there is not a closer knit group of people out there than what we have.

I am going to install my scanmaster this weekend and begin looking at signals and get some things straightened out. I know my IAC is off and I want to move on from there. Gosh darn, I have only driven around my town a few times - and I had a new hemi messing with me 2 nights ago. I guess it does not take long. I kind of felt bad, as I know my car is not running right yet, at least enough to let them have it, LOL...

Mike

First of all Id like to say hello to all of the club members . I am new to the site and looking to gain some nouledge on the fast cars. I am kinda confused on the tuning devices . I have not figures out what system is the simplest to work with . Im not all that smart with programming. Needing a little help on the powerlogger and what all would be needed to make it work . I have already purchased a scanmaster. Need help . Thanks

First of all Id like to say hello to all of the club members . I am new to the site and looking to gain some nouledge on the fast cars. I am kinda confused on the tuning devices . I have not figures out what system is the simplest to work with . Im not all that smart with programming. Needing a little help on the powerlogger and what all would be needed to make it work . I have already purchased a scanmaster. Need help . Thanks