Powerlogger, Scanmaster, both?

85Dan85TType

I don't know if I'm just a little confused or what.

I've been looking at getting a Powerlogger with my next paycheck; but have been unable to figure out a few small things first. The Powerlogger seems simple enough. Attach to ECM, run a laptop, log data.

What confuses me is the Scanmaster. I usually see it in reference to getting a scan tool; but I also see it mentioned in addition to having a Powerlogger. Why is that? I imagine it's nice to have the Scanmaster in car at all times, as I imagine it is powered directly from the car.

Is the only advantage to the Scanmaster its possibility to stay with the car at all times? Can someone enlighten me on this one?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

I don't know if I'm just a little confused or what.

I've been looking at getting a Powerlogger with my next paycheck; but have been unable to figure out a few small things first. The Powerlogger seems simple enough. Attach to ECM, run a laptop, log data.

What confuses me is the Scanmaster. I usually see it in reference to getting a scan tool; but I also see it mentioned in addition to having a Powerlogger. Why is that? I imagine it's nice to have the Scanmaster in car at all times, as I imagine it is powered directly from the car.

Is the only advantage to the Scanmaster its possibility to stay with the car at all times? Can someone enlighten me on this one?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

I'll do my best to explain....

The scanmaster can display the data that the stock ECU sees. It cannot log at all. It will give you a max or a min value I'm pretty sure.... for like knock and 02 milivolts (maybe). It is great for everyday driving and keeping tabs on things when a laptop isn't in the car.... or isn't practical to be in the car... It is also severly limited in it's refresh rate.... the ALDL connector the scanmaster ties into.... only gets a few datapoints during a 1/4 mile run.

The powerlogger can see everything the stock computer sees.... but it ties directly into the stock ECU's circuit board.... and is not hampered by the slower refresh rate the scanmaster is. It also can accept two additional inputs + the three dedicated inputs.....map sensor input......a wideband input, and an EGT input. My goal is to also be logging fuel pressure, oil pressure, wideband reading, and boost.... in addition to the other things the stock ECU "sees". For a 1/4 mile run.... the powerlogger can have maybe 15-20 frames per second of data.... so in a 10 sec run.... you might have 200 separate datapoints to look at....... far superior IMHO.

The Powerlogger is a superior tuning tool IMHO when compared to the scanmaster.... but the scanmaster has it's place too.

FWIW... I have both.

The most ideal world would be both. Because the Scanmaster can be integrated into the powerlogger's output, and read several PL items directly instead of through the ALDL connector, and as such has a faster data rate.

My Scanmaster now reads wideband O2 instead of narrowband O2 milli volts. I can also display my boost (although I don't need to because I have a gauge).

If you can only afford one at a time, my recommendation is to get the Scanmaster first. Then work up to the powerlogger.

The powerlooger comes (or used to come) with a prom change for the scanmaster to e updated to get info from powerlogger.I think recording boost is nice to see if it spiked but have my scanmaster set to display wideband