power plate Question

Well i'm not sure if its a restriction or not, but i have run 133.5 mph on it on stock heads. However the headgasket is blown on #5 cyl, so it will need some research on why only 1 cyl had a failure.

Restriction..

Here's a fluid flow basic. ANYTHING in the flow path is a restriction. Fluid will not move unless it has something to push it along. (Basic Newton's law) The pressure in the cylinder will always be lower than the pressure farther up the intake path. P at the turbo outlet is higher, then the pipes, the IC, the throttle body, everything that contacts the flowing air causes some amount of pressure drop. It is NOT the smallest area that limits the flow, unless the flow reaches Mach 1, which ain't the case until you get to the valves. So, yes the PP is a "restriction", and it does reduce flow to the rear cylinders. BUT, the flow was already limited to those cylinders, by KNOCK. Using the PP will allow the flow to INCREASE to cylinders closer to the front of the engine, and and you will be able to run a little more boost, since the rear cylinders won't reach the knock point way before the front ones. The EGT tests showed that without the PP, there was over 100 degrees difference between front and back. With the PP, the EGT of the front cylinders INCREASED, while the EGT of the rear cylinders decreased, so that the difference was only about 60 degrees. Anyone who claims that the PP works by restricting total air flow, and thus making all cylinders richer, doesn't understand flow, and hasn't looked at the EGT data.
Look here: http://turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85978EGT tests of Power Plate

Re: Restriction..

Originally posted by Ormand
Here's a fluid flow basic. ANYTHING in the flow path is a restriction.

Anyone who claims that the PP works by restricting total air flow, and thus making all cylinders richer, doesn't understand flow, and hasn't looked at the EGT data.

so your saying that its a restriction, but not a restriction of total airflow right?

so if it doesnt restrict total airflow, how does it hinder airflow, as in slowing the overall airflow??? :confused:

:D :D

Originally posted by pwhite
Were can I get one. have they reduced knock on anyones buick

After 8 months and 282 posts....have we actually ever answered this poor fella's original question? :D

Most of the Buick vendors carry the Power Plate and yes it reduced knock on my car.

Ed

Just for another real life user. I run a 70mm precision plenum/TB with power plate. Before I used it, 17 to 18psi on 93 octane pump gas, little knock in 3rd with 18psi. Switched to power plate and was able to run 19-20psi with 93 octane with it hitting a bit of knock in 3rd with the 20 psi. I think that comes out to about a 1-2psi difference. Just stating the facts. I love it and Will NOT get rid of it.

Scott

Just for another real life user. I run a 70mm precision plenum/TB with power plate. Before I used it, 17 to 18psi on 93 octane pump gas, little knock in 3rd with 18psi. Switched to power plate and was able to run 19-20psi with 93 octane with it hitting a bit of knock in 3rd with the 20 psi. I think that comes out to about a 1-2psi difference. Just stating the facts. I love it and Will NOT get rid of it.

Scott