Powdercoat woes, a few questions..

Project TNX

Last year I sent of what I thought was everything I needed powder coated. I had everything done 'White Aluminum RAL 9006'.

Well, 1 year later I had a few design revisions and headed down to my powder coater with my turbo shield, cold side compressor, heater lines, a/c drier, power steering reservoir bracket, and my hydroboost m/c cover and lo and behold my Powder Coater went out of business. :eek:

So I went to the next town over and he showed mem his paint sheets and he had 3 RAL 9006 aluminums to choose from, 1 was matte so that left me with 2 to choose from. I chose the one that looked the closest and I'm just hoping for the best now, it's all I can. It is funny that a company just started up when I took my first batch of parts to them and they're already closed down and I'm not even done my underhood work, LOL.

So my question to the guys that know is.......How close are the various manufacturers paint codes? The a/c drier, p/s bracket, and hydroboost having a variation won't be too detrimental but the shield and compressor would really screw over my dull sea of monochromatic silver and would be a costly fix. :frown:

testfit004drivers.jpg

Ral colors are supposed to be standard. With that being said very few are the exact same. Have your coater order or ask for actual color chips.
and match of of that. Or you can have it custom matched.......$ w/ minimums. 5 lbs. @ $20 per.

Ral colors are standards that they use in the printing buisness...most powder coat MFG and Automotive Paint companies have cross overs in each's systems...I know PPG powder coats do

The Good News

The powder coat matched, it was better quality and cheaper too!!! The piece sitting on the turbine is from the original batch of parts.

I also bought the primer I needed today to start painting this weekend if I can.

The Bad News

I have to repaint my friggin emblems again, like the 4th time, lulz. The matte clear ate the model paint, I'm going to have to use model clear and an airbrush.

tnxshieldturbine1.jpg

tnxshieldturbine2.jpg

tnxshieldturbine3.jpg

:cool: Let us know how it holds up.
Looks good.

I think when I go to build my motorcycle (if I ever finish this damned thing) that I am going to buy a used oven and powdercoat my own stuff, too pricey sending everythign else.

Buy one of those cheap guns. The only trick to powder is cleaning, pretreatment and using the correct powder for the application.
A little trial and lots of error and you will be fine.......:cool:

Buy one of those cheap guns. The only trick to powder is cleaning, pretreatment and using the correct powder for the application.
A little trial and lots of error and you will be fine.......:cool:

Appreciate the advice, thanks.

Someone said this engine reminded them of a Submarine engine, that led me to nicknaming it the battleship. Now that I look at it though I may nickname it The Tugboat, all work, pure torque.

coated3.jpg

coated5.jpg

How did they do the intercooler ?

Cork the openings, I had them tape over the cooling fins, and then do it up. Also it was a new polished gbodyparts.com one, not a stocker. There is no abrasive in it, I had to clean the turbine and intake out pretty good though.

If you are restoring an old car, the eastwood kit and an old oven will pay for itself in a big hurry. Dad has one and it is fantastic. Just send off anything that won't fit in an oven (which isn't much.) I've even sanded and reclearcoated wheels with it. NOT worth the effort but it did look good.