Post a FACT about GNXs *The GNX FACT THREAD*

Fact:

Every third person at a Car Show Will tell you about your GNX like you have no clue.

Including the FBI cars.

Also

Most of the younger generation love them :biggrin:

just wait a couple of months when a certain movie comes out- the kidz will love them even more..
and that is a GNX fact..

There is an 86 prototype floating around with electronic climate control and a 87 black grill

Yes, that is correct. In fact, it shares space in the same building with the GSX Prototype and the only known Black GSX...

Buick012resize.jpg

Buick048.jpg

DSC00152resize.jpg

just happens I have one extra GNX turbo brand new (well 22 years old) in a box next to #57

X2,
Buick made 547 GNX's. they were all numbered cars. Buick retained onwership of 2 GNX's. Buick kept #001 in showroom condition, and also kept #002 to have fun with.:biggrin:

Buick also owns GNX #500 which is stored in the Sloan Museum in Flint Mich.

See it / read about it here:

Buick Turbo Regal ~ 1987 Buick GNX Made by ASC

By the way, # 001 in showroom condition? lol. Before it got repainted a year or 2 ago, it looked horrible... scratched paint, etc., from being displayed & dragged around the country on tours in car shows.

kirban 2 cents worth

According to the original owner of GNX 547, who has since sold it it has only been shown twice and they were at two of our Reunion events. I interviewed the original owner at my 60th birthday bash and how it came about buying GNX 547.

One of those cars that slipped through GM's hands without realizing it was the last one produced.

On another note and Rick Hunt may be able to verify, I was told years ago that originally with the GNs involved because of the poor paint quality, ASC thought about or at least considered repainting the ones that became GNXs but lack of time became an issue.

But heck as any GNX owner will tell you for the additional costs they would have gladly waited another 30-60 days for delivery as ASC does some great paint jobs. Example the GNX that the President of ASC owned (now owned by a good friend of mine) is a repaint.

One one side note comes to mind, if you ever happen to remove the fender flares notice how crude the remaining metal is and how much dirt gathers under the flares. Same goes for the GNs under the rear trunk spoiler section.

kirbanpeformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirbans 2 cents worth

so, based on you being 8 years old must mean I am near your Dads age or older....wow....bummer.

I sold Ron the red 1965 GTO many many years ago and he says he still has it....belonged to my cousin who bought it new 4 speed car...ever see it?

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Like many original GN owners I failed to check the box on the order form saying Yes, I want a high quality paint job.

GNX #007 was used as the East Coast magazine and newspaper "road test" car. I was then sold to the public and was in Rhode Island for a bit.

I was given a ride in #007 by a very young (17 years old at the time) Scott Oldham. Scott is the son of Joe Oldham who was the editor of Popular Mechanics magazine. Currently Scott lives in California where he works for Edmunds Inside Line as a video journalist. He gets to drive some pretty cool cars and most are posted on Youtube.

I have a picture of my '86 GN parked trunk-to-trunk showing the slight difference in ride height, even when parked.

Kirban writes

Another quirky fact on the GNX project. Years ago I was contacted by a person that worked at ASC and actually hand painted the dash numbers at his kitchen table at nite.

I bought some of his left over dash numbers years ago. If you have my Kirbans Guide to 1986-1987 Turbo Regals It appears that their is some differences in some of them and of course by now nobody really knows how many different copies of the dash emblems exist. Clever it was designed to fit in place of the GN emblem in that trim panel above the glove box.

Here is another tidbit old time customers of mine will remember. As many of you know we make a lot of Mustang parts over the years. I guess it was the early 1990s I had a Mustang company in Michigan call me up that buys a lot of left over inventory from ASC that did the GNX project.

He got like 12-13 real unused GNX turbos. Calls me up to sell them to me. At the time I was a little leary they were GNX real ones and not regular GN versions. So, I had him send me one to look at.

Sure enough they were the real deal. I bought all 13 of them. Again going by memory I sold some for around $1300 each and maybe when I was down to the last 2-3 I bumped the price....obviously not enough when you figure what a new one would bring today.

I think I paid like $600 each for them. That oughta bring a tear to any GNX owner....one time a Mustang contact really worked out. You never know in life.

The real GNX turbo is probably the toughest item to find and most costly since the suspension has been reproduced and dashes pop up in various styles.

Again my prices and numbers are approximate as I am going by memory from 15-17 years ago.

I don't think any of my imput would have showed up in other forums concerning the GNX.
'
kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Thats VERY odd you say that, because I play softball, with a guy who claims that he was that person. the person that painted those numbers... I actually (if it's still around) made a thread, trying to contact someone that would know, just to verify his story. It's about a year old or so. Should still be searchable. Is there a way you could PM me the name of the person, who painted those dash plaques? I'd be interested in knowing if my buddy is a liar. He actually had pretty intimate knowledge of the plaques... Anyone?

kirban 2 cents worth

As per the name requested. It was so many years ago I have no idea who it was. I have no doubt they were hand done anything in small numbers usually calls for item to be hand done especially if on a tight schedule. It is feasible maybe more than one person was involved in the dash numbers.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Owned 8 GNXs over the years.

Fact: Every car show I attend I am informed that I, too, have a GNX even though it's a GN or a T. :biggrin:

Is there really any such thing as an FBI Purchased GNX?
I was cruising through Palm Springs today and saw a GNX on a classic car lot for sale. I stopped and snapped some pix and asked about it. they didn't know what number it was, but said the seller says it's an "FBI Purchased" one....
Price....$45K
Here it is...

Attachments

• Palm Springs_008a.jpg
    Palm Springs_008a.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 815
  • Palm Springs_009a.jpg
    Palm Springs_009a.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 825
  • Palm Springs_013a.jpg
    Palm Springs_013a.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 824