Post a FACT about GNXs *The GNX FACT THREAD*

TurboRegal84

Staff member
Post a FACT that you know about GNX's. Could be anything pertaining to the cars, production, specifications, concept, or more. Please no 'mythical' facts about twin turbo cars or the like.
Lets keep it all factual!

From a simple fact to one that you think no one else knows...POST IT!

Have pictures of something interesting you found when working on your car? POST IT

This should be a good way to gather alot of information on the cars in this one thread. Hopefully we all learn a thing or two!

here goes: the spring of 2001 I bought my first of 8 real GNXs. A one owner totally 100% stock with 179,000 miles on it. Owner drove it to and from work on the interstate. Never replaced the power antenna and it still worked as did all the factory gauges. Drivers seat and steering wheel had major wear issues otherwise car was all there with 100% original paint.

He drove it as a regular car. Never smoked in. He bought a new Lxus and the dealer was not interested in his GNX at any price. I bought the car sight unseen for ten grand.

The day trailered it home I told two friends that had turbo cars about it offering it to them for $13,500. Both had to think about it because of the miles on the car.
This car in Corvette terms would qualify as a Survivor.

I sold the car within 5 days and the owner drove it back to his home in Tennessee. I got $13,900 for it.

My guess is this car probably holds several records atleast in 2001. Highest mileage for a stock one that was all original and sold for under 14 grand. Looking back yah I wish it hadn't sold but when you are in the business that is how the system works.

Next point:

Put any 3 or 4 real GNXs side by side maybe 20 or 30 dash numbers apart and the louvers may be alittle off side to side.

If you ever remove any of the flares you would be in shock at how butchered the fender metal is and how much dirt and grime has accumulated in that area no matter how careful you are.

My friend by a quirk of luck purchased from a western, PA Buick dealer GNX 547 not realizing at the time that was the last one built. Not only did he not realize it but neither did Buick which attempted for months to buy it back all to no avail.
Does seem strange that a weird number like 547 was built when initially the plan was for 500 out the door.

Another quirk is replacing the power antenna. Pete Serio my good friend known in turbo circles as the original window rattle guy discovered by accident that unlike the other turbo regals you can snake the busted antenna out of the fender without undoing the fender.

It takes a small hand but if you remove the fender louver you can fish the antenna forward (battery has to be removed) and out of the car and fish the new antenna in. Because of the sharp fender edges it is tricky and although profanity does not help this project make cause you to use profanity. Pete has done this for me on a GNX I bought in Ohio.

Although it may sound like I am picking on the GNX, Buick and ASC really hit the home run with the project. In 1987 the Corvette had nothing to compete with it. No 1987 Corvette I am aware of will ever approach the value of a GNX.

Perhaps one of the most famous GNXs that I am aware of is famous because of what has happened to the car. Today it is known as the candy GNX. Has to do with some pretty energetic rodents with a lot of time on their hands and a few candy vending trucks stored with a real 600 mile GNX.

tis it for my stories

kirbanpeformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

past owner of 8 real GNXs

GNX holds a mystic.

that few, if any other cars have.
no other cars are so misunderstood by the normal public, ( Gn/TR owners know all about them)
you've all heard the twin turbo, V8, etc ,etc stories, from the uninformed.
most everyone knows about ZR1's, shelbys, hemi's, boss 302/429.
but who but US, know what a GNX is, maybe the new F&F4 may expose us?
I always wanted one, ( and got one) its a driver, not a garage queen.
so many others still desire them today 20+ yrs after they were made.
do I feel lucky, YEA! we all fortunate to enjoy them and there brothers GN/TR.
Enjoy!

XRay's GNX,Prototypes,Parts,Build Info EXC thread, which is a sticky in this forum, is another similar thread that is full of GNX facts.

To Dennis' point from his email below.

"Does seem strange that a weird number like 547 was built when initially the plan was for 500 out the door."

Copied from a previous post of mine in GNX,Prototypes,Parts,Build Info EXC thread:

Okay, here is what I was told from someone from ASC that was intimately involved with the GNX project.

Originally the number of GNX's was set at 500 to align with the Indy 500. All the tooling and assembly was planned for 500 cars.

At the time that GNX's were being sold at dealers, Buick had an award program for exemplary dealers. There was an award banquet where members from each of the dealerships that earned that top performance level were in attendance. A big wig from Buick spoke at the banquet and comended them for a job well done. During his speech he said something to the affect of: "And to congratulate you all on a job well done, Buick will provide each of you with one additional GNX."

There were 47 dealers in attendance.

He said this to the group without first clearing it with anyone from ASC. There was a scramble to ramp up production by adding 47 unplanned cars.

Kirban writes

Another quirky fact on the GNX project. Years ago I was contacted by a person that worked at ASC and actually hand painted the dash numbers at his kitchen table at nite.

I bought some of his left over dash numbers years ago. If you have my Kirbans Guide to 1986-1987 Turbo Regals It appears that their is some differences in some of them and of course by now nobody really knows how many different copies of the dash emblems exist. Clever it was designed to fit in place of the GN emblem in that trim panel above the glove box.

Here is another tidbit old time customers of mine will remember. As many of you know we make a lot of Mustang parts over the years. I guess it was the early 1990s I had a Mustang company in Michigan call me up that buys a lot of left over inventory from ASC that did the GNX project.

He got like 12-13 real unused GNX turbos. Calls me up to sell them to me. At the time I was a little leary they were GNX real ones and not regular GN versions. So, I had him send me one to look at.

Sure enough they were the real deal. I bought all 13 of them. Again going by memory I sold some for around $1300 each and maybe when I was down to the last 2-3 I bumped the price....obviously not enough when you figure what a new one would bring today.

I think I paid like $600 each for them. That oughta bring a tear to any GNX owner....one time a Mustang contact really worked out. You never know in life.

The real GNX turbo is probably the toughest item to find and most costly since the suspension has been reproduced and dashes pop up in various styles.

Again my prices and numbers are approximate as I am going by memory from 15-17 years ago.

I don't think any of my imput would have showed up in other forums concerning the GNX.
'
kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

that few, if any other cars have.
no other cars are so misunderstood by the normal public, ( Gn/TR owners know all about them)
you've all heard the twin turbo, V8, etc ,etc stories, from the uninformed.
most everyone knows about ZR1's, shelbys, hemi's, boss 302/429.
but who but US, know what a GNX is, maybe the new F&F4 may expose us?
I always wanted one, ( and got one) its a driver, not a garage queen.
so many others still desire them today 20+ yrs after they were made.
do I feel lucky, YEA! we all fortunate to enjoy them and there brothers GN/TR.
Enjoy!
40 years after it was built, the 69 Z/28 probably has more misinformation floating around out there than the GNX. every one built had a 302 (not a ford motor...) and a 4 speed with a 12 bolt rear and no useless options like AC, but loaded 350 or big block automatic cars with 10 bolts still pop up to this day.
how about the 69 ZL1 Camaro? how many people know what that is without doing a google search?
the Monte SS aerocoupe and Pontiac grand Prix 2+2 might not have been speed demons, but there is also a bunch of wrong info out there about them.
actually, pick any limited edition car ever built by any company all around the world, and there is a mystique around it and a bunch of incorrect info being spread by people that don't really know them.
the GNX is cool, but in this respect, it isn't unique.

Originally the number of GNX's was set at 500 to align with the Indy 500. All the tooling and assembly was planned for 500 cars.

At the time that GNX's were being sold at dealers, Buick had an award program for exemplary dealers. There was an award banquet where members from each of the dealerships that earned that top performance level were in attendance. A big wig from Buick spoke at the banquet and comended them for a job well done. During his speech he said something to the affect of: "And to congratulate you all on a job well done, Buick will provide each of you with one additional GNX."

There were 47 dealers in attendance.

He said this to the group without first clearing it with anyone from ASC. There was a scramble to ramp up production by adding 47 unplanned cars.

Interesting. Never knew that.

Asc Plant Info

During the build of the GNX , ASC McLaren Mustangs were being built in the same plant at the same time….:cool:

40 years after it was built, the 69 Z/28 probably has more misinformation floating around out there than the GNX. every one built had a 302 (not a ford motor...) and a 4 speed with a 12 bolt rear and no useless options like AC, but loaded 350 or big block automatic cars with 10 bolts still pop up to this day.
how about the 69 ZL1 Camaro? how many people know what that is without doing a google search?
the Monte SS aerocoupe and Pontiac grand Prix 2+2 might not have been speed demons, but there is also a bunch of wrong info out there about them.
actually, pick any limited edition car ever built by any company all around the world, and there is a mystique around it and a bunch of incorrect info being spread by people that don't really know them.
the GNX is cool, but in this respect, it isn't unique.

Just one side note on the z/28's, there was only one convertible z built in 1968. That was because General Mgr for chevy wouldn't drive anything but a convertible. And to get the approval for building the z for the public they had to build one convertible for him if they were going to be able to get him to drive it.

And apparently there was a GNX built to be used as a pace car for the Indy Races according to this sign that I received with the 87 GN I bought from an employee that retired from Buick after 36 yrs.
pacecarsign.jpg

Just one side note on the z/28's, there was only one convertible z built in 1968. That was because General Mgr for chevy wouldn't drive anything but a convertible. And to get the approval for building the z for the public they had to build one convertible for him if they were going to be able to get him to drive it.

And apparently there was a GNX built to be used as a pace car for the Indy Races according to this sign that I received with the 87 GN I bought from an employee that retired from Buick after 36 yrs.
pacecarsign.jpg

Thats the first time I have seen a GNX rated over 276 HP......... we knew that was a joke!

Thanks for the pic:biggrin:

GNX fact.

If you post that you are parting one out 1700+ people
will look to see why in just a few days......:biggrin:

GNX fact.

If you post that you are parting one out 1700+ people
will look to see why in just a few days......:biggrin:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

There is an 86 prototype floating around with electronic climate control and a 87 black grill

Fact:

Every third person at a Car Show Will tell you about your GNX like you have no clue.

Including the FBI cars.

Also

Most of the younger generation love them :biggrin: