Possible Barn Find

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
Im not really up to speed on the 84/85 cars so Im asking this question . I work for the Miss Dept of Trans and while out yesterday I spotted some old cars and in the mix was two GN , upon knocking on the door an older man came and when he found that I had a GN was willing to talk . The two are in petty bad shape . One had a big block chevy engine with a blower and two carbs but haven't been moved in years . The other one he said still had the 3.8 still in her , she also was ruff . He said he would unlock it but it was raining and told him we could do that another day , but what I noticed about the interior is that it was blue instead of grey and the PLUS 6 logo wasn't in the headrest but down a little bout where your middle of your back would rest and the seat reclined somehow or there was something bout where your calves would be that kicked out . The car was pretty ruff but could some of yall tell me if this is something worth chasing ? Thank you for replying

Im not really up to speed on the 84/85 cars so Im asking this question . I work for the Miss Dept of Trans and while out yesterday I spotted some old cars and in the mix was two GN , upon knocking on the door an older man came and when he found that I had a GN was willing to talk . The two are in petty bad shape . One had a big block chevy engine with a blower and two carbs but haven't been moved in years . The other one he said still had the 3.8 still in her , she also was ruff . He said he would unlock it but it was raining and told him we could do that another day , but what I noticed about the interior is that it was blue instead of grey and the PLUS 6 logo wasn't in the headrest but down a little bout where your middle of your back would rest and the seat reclined somehow or there was something bout where your calves would be that kicked out . The car was pretty ruff but could some of yall tell me if this is something worth chasing ? Thank you for replying
74ff42d75e25bebbdbc5997e87b2bdb2.jpg

2e90f8cc69fbe3045024d9e024cdd93d.jpg

Look like that? If so, only '84 came like that.

Sent from my Spaceship.

Oh, damn. Those are Lear Siegler seats. A lot of people pay good money for just the seats. If you're a collecting kind of person, that's a great find!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Its an older man that has the cars and a lot of other junk stuff , El Camino older Corvettes . Don't know if he would let anything go , All the cars are rusting to the ground . Sad

That's too bad. Those are rare. They were a special option on the 84 cars. Hot air cars are rare enough, the special edition ones are even harder to find. When I was looking to buy my first GN, I turned down one just like because I was convinced that it wasn't a real GN, and now I'm kind of kicking myself.

My 1st GN was an 84 with the Lier Sieglers. Really high quality seat back in the day. I should look in the pricing book to see how much extra that option was. Best seats in any year GN by far.

Im gonna work on this older man , When I knocked on the door the only thing he said was nothing was for sale but when he found out I had a car he was really friendly and we talked for a while , its sitting out in the weather

I hope that he's not a hoarder like my old neighbor. Dude had dozens of classic cars and tons of inheritance money. He would buy them, park them in his backyard, and let them rot. Anyone wanting to buy one would get the door slammed in their face. He said he was keeping them for his kids.

He didn't have kids, he was just a crazy old hoarder.

Turbo Keith, could you go by in your GN? I'm sure that would go a long ways with him.
On the car itself, before even mentioning to him you might want to buy it, take an objective look at it. It might truly be too far gone already. Take some pics though and post them up! Would be fun to see it!

Good luck, man. I'd hate to see another one head off to a slow, rusty death. And try to save those seats! The older they get, the more rare they become.

Man I'm gonna do my best om this find , one is okish but the other has a blower and two carbs out the hood

That's too bad. Those are rare. They were a special option on the 84 cars. Hot air cars are rare enough, the special edition ones are even harder to find. When I was looking to buy my first GN, I turned down one just like because I was convinced that it wasn't a real GN, and now I'm kind of kicking myself.

The lear sets came standard as part of the GN package in 84. With only around 2,000 cars made there are not alot of them out there. If they are in great shape that is a good find. The fabric GM used on them wore easily and most are in rough shape.

Not only that the interior color was more of a sand color, not sure what it was actually called though. So the rest of the interior panels are good to get too depending on condition or course.

Not only that the interior color was more of a sand color, not sure what it was actually called though. So the rest of the interior panels are good to get too depending on condition or course.
Sand and slate I believe.

Sent from my Spaceship.

The lear sets came standard as part of the GN package in 84. With only around 2,000 cars made there are not alot of them out there. If they are in great shape that is a good find. The fabric GM used on them wore easily and most are in rough shape.
They were standard? I never thought that because I've only ever seen 84s before without them. Well, I guess I've only ever seen a couple. I thought it was the other way around. My bad.

Last edited:
Yes... the '84 Grand National received the Lier package as a demanded option. The rarest option of the GN's was the factory Moon roof; it was pricey as an option. Mine has 96 option codes... the seats are rough but functional; keeping them 'as is' only add's to the race car feel. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to sell off their special seats. :)

Some of us started out "Hot-air"... some remained such... some of us went intercooled and more... You found a rare car. It isn't so rare that it is going to be a costly car to obtain; it just might be costly to repair, replace, or find limited in availability parts.