posi rear

I never thought about that...

you boyz is a genius!

Ok ok,

Jimski, remove the downpipe from the turbo,

(MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COOL)

remove the waste gate actuator arm.

stick your finger in where the down pipe connected and feel around for that puck.

now match it to the where the actuator arm normally sits - you can tell if its open or closed real easy from here.

we can then narrow that down some more.

:biggrin: A.j.

I never thought about that...

you boyz is a genius!

Ok ok,

Jimski, remove the downpipe from the turbo,

(MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COOL)

remove the waste gate actuator arm.

stick your finger in where the down pipe connected and feel around for that puck.

now match it to the where the actuator arm normally sits - you can tell if its open or closed real easy from here.

we can then narrow that down some more.

:biggrin: A.j.

Ill give it a shot

Another thing I've had an experience with was the EFE flap in the driver's side to fall apart and wedge inside and pretty much block the flow. I CAREFULLY picked mine up out of the pipe, replaced the cracked driver's manifold, and fired it up. SOunded a little meaner beings I had straight pipe and it would actuallly break a tire loose on the pavement when I jumped on it. And this was before I put the new turbo on.

Another thing I've had an experience with was the EFE flap in the driver's side to fall apart and wedge inside and pretty much block the flow. I CAREFULLY picked mine up out of the pipe, replaced the cracked driver's manifold, and fired it up. SOunded a little meaner beings I had straight pipe and it would actuallly break a tire loose on the pavement when I jumped on it. And this was before I put the new turbo on.

My exhauast is tight no leaks no cracks I made sure of all that.Actually when you hear the car running it is hard to tell it is on(running)It is very quiet no leaks.

Took off the down pipe and pulled it away from the housing felt up in there it was tight as heck. Opened and closed the waste gate i could not feel the round puck but i did feel something opening and closing it is very hard to tell if it is sealing good thou becouse of the tighness. Im gonna pull the entire unit and inspect it real good should only take a few hours to acheive but we have rain here in Philadelphia today. I refuse to get wet anylonger that what i am now :cool:

DON'T SHOOT IT!! I KNOW YOU'RE FRUSTRAITED BUT PUT THE GUN DOWN NOW!!. Sorry, just had to. Start spraying some kroil or pb blaster on it now and let the bolts sit for a couple of days so you don't break any. I'll see if I can take a couple of pics of the different wastegates I have and tell you which is which. The easiest way to tell the diff is the levers are opposite of each other.

DON'T SHOOT IT!! I KNOW YOU'RE FRUSTRAITED BUT PUT THE GUN DOWN NOW!!. Sorry, just had to. Start spraying some kroil or pb blaster on it now and let the bolts sit for a couple of days so you don't break any. I'll see if I can take a couple of pics of the different wastegates I have and tell you which is which. The easiest way to tell the diff is the levers are opposite of each other.

Na im not ready to kill it. I thought what was happening was normal unitl i started posting about it.The car is extremly fun to drive like it is now im just thinking how much better it will be when i stomp the pedal and it automatically hits 9si around town.;)

I would love to see pics of the different units i cant remember what it looked like even thou i had this setup sitting around for 19 years until i decided to use it for this project back in October 08.

Waste gates

Here's the pics of the two I have off at the moment. The one with the bolts in it is the normally closed one. If you have this one you're ok. If you have the one without bolts in it then you have the bastard child that's normally open.

Attachments

• waste gates.jpg
    waste gates.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 81
Here's the pics of the two I have off at the moment. The one with the bolts in it is the normally closed one. If you have this one you're ok. If you have the one without bolts in it then you have the bastard child that's normally open.

Thats great do u have pics of the other side so i can get an ideal of what it looks like in there.I also want to put a picture in my head of what i felt the otherr day when i pulled the down pipe off and felt up in there to see if was closed..

Check your carb. If the secondaries aren't opening, then you'll be limited to six psi. I had this problem with two different cars. (To check the secodnaries with the enigine off or cold, you need to move the lock out tab on the right side of the carb linkage.)

Check your carb. If the secondaries aren't opening, then you'll be limited to six psi. I had this problem with two different cars. (To check the secodnaries with the enigine off or cold, you need to move the lock out tab on the right side of the carb linkage.)

They open. The bottom doors are at a slight angle. When running i dump the throttle lever all four doors open.

On the inside they both look the same. If you need a pic I'll put it up but the tail tell is the lever position.

As I said there's no diff on the inside.:biggrin:

Attachments

• waste gate 2.jpg
    waste gate 2.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 86
My hats off to you charlief1. Those pics are a valualbe source to I.D. the two differant types of wastegates. Great job!

*By the way, mine is an '81 but the WS is a 'normally closed' type going by the way the lever is positioned on the pic

A picture tells a thousand words....:D

WS??? Do you mean accuator? So I take it that you have the incorrect gate then. Sometimes it really is that simple. lol