posi rear

Quit beinga chicken and go put your foot to the floor in a wide open area and hold it there till 60 mph. If you have 9lbs your good. The turbo NEEDS load to spool. With the 3.42 and OD trans, the engine will rev easier because it is not working so hard to move that huge tank down the road.

To put it in a better perspective it has to do with leverage. A 2.41 is like using a standard rachet to take a bolt loose and the 3.42 would be like using a cheater pipe on the rachet to get the bolt loose. The car will move easier to start with and be at a better rpm to keep it moving in 4th on the highway. On the highway the turbo isn't spinning as fast and doesn't have the load on it because you aren't stomping on the gas to pass someone.

Quit beinga chicken and go put your foot to the floor in a wide open area and hold it there till 60 mph. If you have 9lbs your good. The turbo NEEDS load to spool. With the 3.42 and OD trans, the engine will rev easier because it is not working so hard to move that huge tank down the road.

lol na im no chicken he was asking what the boost was without making the tires spin out.When i brake lock it and burn out 6 psi total.It will not hit 9 till im in overdrive on the highway once overdrive is acheived it jumps right to 9psi

(edit) ok ok i see now 6 psi

I still think you have an issue somewhere. How did the driver's manifold look?
oh, and your stock n/a muffler, I'd just go outside and rip that thing off

OK........ we have that all gone over...

everything seems to be in check.... 6 lbs is all its holding before pushing, Damn... that sounds like a fairly healthy motor!

I dont know if this is a good idea........ but try dissconnecting the wastegate line and see what it makes for boost.......

just be ready to get off of it real quick if it spikes and wants to knock...

this can at least help us start to narrow down the cause.

A.j.

I still think you have an issue somewhere. How did the driver's manifold look?
oh, and your stock n/a muffler, I'd just go outside and rip that thing off

Im waiting for a 40 series flow master then ill cut it off and weld on the flowmaster

everything seems to be in check.... 6 lbs is all its holding before pushing, Damn... that sounds like a fairly healthy motor!

I dont know if this is a good idea........ but try dissconnecting the wastegate line and see what it makes for boost.......

A.j.

Engine has 40,000 original miles
ill try the waste gate deal im ok with knock has factory esc and it is working..

A.j.

Took off the waste gate line and plugged it still 6 psi after a brake launch.Went on the highway and 9 psi highway run weird **** going on. Do u think waste gate maybe leaking exhaust? inside the housing

I'm out of ideas:confused: But I will tell you not to put the flowmaster on, it will slow your car down and may make the turbo spool slower.

Maybe try posting a link to this thread in the "turbo" forum to get some more people in on this.

I'm out of ideas:confused: But I will tell you not to put the flowmaster on, it will slow your car down and may make the turbo spool slower.

Maybe try posting a link to this thread in the "turbo" forum to get some more people in on this.
what muffler do u recomend.I can always send back the 40 series

When you're on the highway in 4th your engine is under a load because the car is having to lug at low rpm so you have a higher boost. I think I just figured out what the problem is. Go to the b4black website and look at the pics of waste gates and see which one you have. I'd be willing to bet you have the bastard child that is normally open. That would explain the low boost right off.

Holy crap I forgot all about that:rolleyes: It's a possibility. I think I mentioned this to 1980turbomonte just yesterday:eek:

81 is the bastard child and I have one on my car currently and it's an 83. The waste gate stays open until it recieves a boost signal and sounds like that's what you have. Aj was nice enough to hook me up and I have the right one now. That's the only reson I thought about it. Thanks again Aj, I haven't had time to put the correct one on yet though.

81 is the bastard child and I have one on my car currently and it's an 83. The waste gate stays open until it recieves a boost signal and sounds like that's what you have. Aj was nice enough to hook me up and I have the right one now. That's the only reson I thought about it. Thanks again Aj, I haven't had time to put the correct one on yet though.

Could not find the picks ,but my waste gate has 2 vacum lines im just using the one that pushes on the actuator when boost is acheived.I took the hose off and ran without it around town and the same 6psi,then ran it on the highway not to hard thou and 9psi

Do u mean the internal waste gate door stays open ??The set up is 1983 closed desighn

Im waiting for a 40 series flow master then ill cut it off and weld on the flowmaster

NO! NO! NO! :eek: Say it is'nt so. Not Flows bro....turbos don't like Flows. Read up a little more. The exhaust system for turbos is as unique as the incoming plumbing.

Send it back. Do a little more research. You'll see what I mean....:(

Do u mean the internal waste gate door stays open ??The set up is 1983 closed design

You could have the wrong waste gate. The thing with 2 vacume lines is the accuator and the thing with the lever on it is the waste gate between the turbo and down pipe. In 81 Buick (GM) decided to get more better gas mileage and made the wastegate normally open. All other years have the better design of normally closed. You can mix and match things and if you're not the first owner it may have happened. I had that problem and Aj was nice enough to send the correct one to me. There is the possibility you have the hoses on backwards also. Just trying to help you figure out what's going on with it.

NO! NO! NO! :eek: Say it is'nt so. Not Flows bro....turbos don't like Flows. Read up a little more. The exhaust system for turbos is as unique as the incoming plumbing.

Send it back. Do a little more research. You'll see what I mean....:(

What do u recomend

You could have the wrong waste gate. The thing with 2 vacume lines is the accuator and the thing with the lever on it is the waste gate between the turbo and down pipe. In 81 Buick (GM) decided to get more better gas mileage and made the wastegate normally open. All other years have the better design of normally closed. You can mix and match things and if you're not the first owner it may have happened. I had that problem and Aj was nice enough to send the correct one to me. There is the possibility you have the hoses on backwards also. Just trying to help you figure out what's going on with it.

Can u explain what u mean by open so when i pull mine apart ill know what to look for.Becouse im suspecting it may be the waste gate myself..Tha actuator holds the waste door closed tight from my understanding.

Gm set it up in 81 to be open?